Quantcast
Opinion: Rain in BOTW is a positive addition to the game

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Opinion: Rain in BOTW is a positive addition to the game

GoOnKid said:

Weapons breaking? No, it makes me a weakling. -> optional
Cooking? Nah, hate that - optional.
Guardians? They keep lasertagging my whimpy ass -> optional.
Boss fights? I'm too afraid of challenges -> optional.
Drowning in puddles? Well, not anymore! -> optional. 
Blood moon? No no no, dead enemies must stay dead -> optional.
Slipping on rocks? That's what we're even talking about, dammit! -> optional a thousand times, yo!
The entire Gerudo area? I don't like deserts -> optional.
Lynels? My whimpy ass can't handle them -> optional.
Princess Zelda? Her design in other games was nicer -> optional.

It's funny because many of these are actually optional. You don't have to deal with rain to beat BotW, in fact, you can beat the game without seeing rain once.

But I do agree with your post. While rain does annoy me, that's the thing I don't like about the "we need more options" mentality - because it's for people who want the games to adapt to them, rather than them adapt to the games. That's... fine, I guess, but I'm so not that kind of person. When I play a game, I wanna play it the way it's meant to be, I wanna have to adapt to its mechanics and its features, I wanna learn what I should be doing and how. The same applies to watching a movie, or listening a song - it's all about putting yourself in the mindset of what that work of art is supposed to be, how it's supposed to be enjoyed. There thousands or millions of good games, and good films, and good songs out there - if you don't like one or another, you can just move on to something that's more meant for you. To want everything to adapt to your taste is the very definition of entitlement.

That isn't to say I'm a godlike consumer who can adapt to everything. There are many genres of games that I don't like or can't get into, and... that's fine. I couldn't give a shit about God of War, for example - this friend of mine loves the game, as most people seem to do, and tried forcing me into playing it... and play it I did, but I still didn't care. I just don't like it. Is it a good game? From the little I've played of it, yeah, it does seem like one hell of a good game, but it's just not my kind of thing and that's fine. You won't see me going like "man I wish they made God of War like this or like that", no, it's not for me and that's it.



Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
pokoko said:

Rain and enemies are on the same level of importance to you?  That's interesting.

Certainly.

What’s also interesting is that you missed the point. The rain is not esthetical, nor just there to annoy you. Curl already explained how the rain effects a plethora of other game mechanics, and he didn’t even mention everything, making it a crucial part of the workings of the game. Removing it would break a whole bunch of things. So where’s the line? Why is it okay for you to disable rain but not for me to disable enemies? Or you can ask just for an option to remove the inability to climb in the rain, but if you want options in games that specific I might as well ask not to get rid of all enemies, but just Lynels, since those are the ones that kill me.

Obviously from the developer’s standpoint the rain is meant to be something you’ll “have to deal with”, because their vision for the game is to inspire people to be creative in ‘the wild’ and for them to find their own ways to their goal. That’s why Vivster’s again dramatizing, you don’t have to “sit around and wait” at all, you just have to look around and come up with something else; the point of the game. Something I always did at least.

Anyway, nobody would be talking about this if the Climbing Gear’s special power was being able to climb in the rain, something I also expected it to have initially, I agree to that.

I didn't miss the point, you just made a really poor comparison.  Removing rain and removing enemies are not even remotely the same thing.  Also, I never said you couldn't disable enemies if you want that.  I certainly have no problem with it.

If this game were on PC and had mod support, there would already be a mod to remove the rain and it would likely have hundreds of thousands of downloads and tens of thousands of upvotes.  That's how it is with other games and, no, it doesn't break them.  People play the games and they adjust it the way they want and they enjoy the game more.  I don't know why that bothers you.  People modify games to their taste and it gives them a more enjoyable experience.  

I mean, what you are arguing against is literally happening with other games and people absolutely love the freedom.  Skyrim has well over 50,000 mods, some of which completely revamp systems and game-play elements, and no one is upset because thousands of people aren't playing "the way the developers intended."

Your argument has already been reduced to ruins many times over by the fact that modding is growing in popularity and support by leaps and bounds and no one is complaining about it.



mZuzek said:
GoOnKid said:

Weapons breaking? No, it makes me a weakling. -> optional
Cooking? Nah, hate that - optional.
Guardians? They keep lasertagging my whimpy ass -> optional.
Boss fights? I'm too afraid of challenges -> optional.
Drowning in puddles? Well, not anymore! -> optional. 
Blood moon? No no no, dead enemies must stay dead -> optional.
Slipping on rocks? That's what we're even talking about, dammit! -> optional a thousand times, yo!
The entire Gerudo area? I don't like deserts -> optional.
Lynels? My whimpy ass can't handle them -> optional.
Princess Zelda? Her design in other games was nicer -> optional.

It's funny because many of these are actually optional. You don't have to deal with rain to beat BotW, in fact, you can beat the game without seeing rain once.

But I do agree with your post. While rain does annoy me, that's the thing I don't like about the "we need more options" mentality - because it's for people who want the games to adapt to them, rather than them adapt to the games. That's... fine, I guess, but I'm so not that kind of person. When I play a game, I wanna play it the way it's meant to be, I wanna have to adapt to its mechanics and its features, I wanna learn what I should be doing and how. The same applies to watching a movie, or listening a song - it's all about putting yourself in the mindset of what that work of art is supposed to be, how it's supposed to be enjoyed. There thousands or millions of good games, and good films, and good songs out there - if you don't like one or another, you can just move on to something that's more meant for you. To want everything to adapt to your taste is the very definition of entitlement.

That isn't to say I'm a godlike consumer who can adapt to everything. There are many genres of games that I don't like or can't get into, and... that's fine. I couldn't give a shit about God of War, for example - this friend of mine loves the game, as most people seem to do, and tried forcing me into playing it... and play it I did, but I still didn't care. I just don't like it. Is it a good game? From the little I've played of it, yeah, it does seem like one hell of a good game, but it's just not my kind of thing and that's fine. You won't see me going like "man I wish they made God of War like this or like that", no, it's not for me and that's it.

I agree, to discover any piece of art in the way the creator intended it to be dscovered is the way to go instead of taking a certain piece and altering it in order to apply one's own taste to it. Bt looking at pokoko, this seems to be a devisive topic.

The funny thing is, when those who want to alter everything scream for everything to be optional, they miss the option to just play something else instead, so they rather complain about something to not be how they like it. Like you've already said, there is enough variety for everyone already, so I consider this rather childish.



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Rains can be annoying if you're not prepared or if you're too stubborn to pick a better path when exploring. That's mainly why I had some trouble with them initially. But as annoying as they can be I feel like the experience would have been worse without them, as they do change up the gameplay. They're like the bonfire system in Dark Souls. Sure, it can be annoying as hell but I think the game would be worse without those mechanics. Some annoyances are simply needed.



GoOnKid said:

In my opinion people who complain about having to stop and wait until the rain is gone don't understand the game. If you are too stubborn to think of another path then that's clearly on you and not the games' fault and you shouldn't complain about it because there are always either different solutions or alternate routes. Sitting there and waiting like a spoiled kid at the supermarket whose mama refused to buy candy won't get you anywhere. Of course you won't enjoy the game that way, that's not rocket science. 

Okay, let's digress a little bit, shall we. Most of the times the same people complain about the weapon durability because they want to find the BESTEST and STRONGEST weapons and be able to keep those FOREVER. Why is that? Well, if you ask me, that's because some people don't like to deal with uncertainty. They always want to deal the most amount of damage so that the mean baddies are gone quickly and without much harm so these people can keep walking through the park without having to fear much challenge and threats. Uncertainty about having the best equipment in order to be prepared for anything that may ever cross your character, no matter how improbable, is a sign of weakness in my eyes. Hate me, I don't mind.

To think about how you approach certain enemies is much more engaging than just hit it with your strongest weapon and be good (aka almost any rpg). And to think about how you reach a desired location is also an essential part of the game. This is not a game about finding the quickest route, it's about exploration and adaptation. Again, if you can't adapt to new situations when the game gives you tons of opportunities, it's on you.

Also nitpicking about the rain is stupid because why stop here? Let's also complain about heat, cold and thunder, too! Let's get rid of the entire weather system because surely there is this one teeny tiny chance that you stumble in a situation where you don't have the right equipment to face one of these environmental circumstances, booooo! That's bad! Cut it altogether! Or even better! Make everything optional, right?

Weapons breaking? No, it makes me a weakling. -> optional
Cooking? Nah, hate that - optional.
Guardians? They keep lasertagging my whimpy ass -> optional.
Boss fights? I'm too afraid of challenges -> optional.
Drowning in puddles? Well, not anymore! -> optional. 
Blood moon? No no no, dead enemies must stay dead -> optional.
Slipping on rocks? That's what we're even talking about, dammit! -> optional a thousand times, yo!
The entire Gerudo area? I don't like deserts -> optional.
Lynels? My whimpy ass can't handle them -> optional.
Princess Zelda? Her design in other games was nicer -> optional.

So more options are good, right? Right?! Except they rip the entire soul outta this game. So stop complaining and find your alternate route, y'all.

Hm, I'm not sure I agree with your sentiment (respectfully, of course). Videogames are played because they are something that is entertaining, right? So why wouldn't people be allowed to desire changes to a game that they didn't like aspects of? Voicing your opinion and offering feedback can be a productive way to make future things better.

BotW is a 10/10 in my opinion. Overall, I felt the game got to be too easy on my first playthrough. I'm thankful for the changes brought in Master Mode. Would you have preferred not having an extra option such as this in the game?

I dunno, but it seems like you just made a list of all the negative things you heard about the game and played it off as if the collective whole of them was each individual person's opinion, and made it sound as if it was getting annoying hearing all of these complaints. When in reality, it might be ten different people each saying one thing they didn't like about the game, with none of those ten people having been annoying individually, but if you lump all ten opinions together and treat them as a single argument, you can twist it in a way that makes it sound tiresome.

But I don't mean to offend you. I think I understand what you are trying to say, just the way you said it came off as if you were complaining about other people criticism. It seems like you prefer when things are not optional, and you like when a game is played the way it was envisioned to be played by the developers. Since Zelda is a fantasy RPG, you like to play the game as if you are Link, exploring the world in an organic way. And that's cool, too. Personally, I always play games with a completionist sort of mentality. Rarely do I ever fully complete a game, but I generally try and collect and explore everything along a given path. When it comes to watching others play games, I like watching speedruns, which is a completely different playstyle to my own.



Around the Network

I personally enjoyed the rain. My only complaint is, as others have voiced, that there's no outfit or outfit upgrade that gives you slip immunity/resistance.



 SW-5120-1900-6153

Overall I thought BotW did a great job at creating a world in which the character had to adapt to. To me that is what makes the game great. Weather matters, temperature matters, etc, etc. It makes the world feel real.



RaptorChrist said:
GoOnKid said:

In my opinion people who complain about having to stop and wait until the rain is gone don't understand the game. If you are too stubborn to think of another path then that's clearly on you and not the games' fault and you shouldn't complain about it because there are always either different solutions or alternate routes. Sitting there and waiting like a spoiled kid at the supermarket whose mama refused to buy candy won't get you anywhere. Of course you won't enjoy the game that way, that's not rocket science. 

Okay, let's digress a little bit, shall we. Most of the times the same people complain about the weapon durability because they want to find the BESTEST and STRONGEST weapons and be able to keep those FOREVER. Why is that? Well, if you ask me, that's because some people don't like to deal with uncertainty. They always want to deal the most amount of damage so that the mean baddies are gone quickly and without much harm so these people can keep walking through the park without having to fear much challenge and threats. Uncertainty about having the best equipment in order to be prepared for anything that may ever cross your character, no matter how improbable, is a sign of weakness in my eyes. Hate me, I don't mind.

To think about how you approach certain enemies is much more engaging than just hit it with your strongest weapon and be good (aka almost any rpg). And to think about how you reach a desired location is also an essential part of the game. This is not a game about finding the quickest route, it's about exploration and adaptation. Again, if you can't adapt to new situations when the game gives you tons of opportunities, it's on you.

Also nitpicking about the rain is stupid because why stop here? Let's also complain about heat, cold and thunder, too! Let's get rid of the entire weather system because surely there is this one teeny tiny chance that you stumble in a situation where you don't have the right equipment to face one of these environmental circumstances, booooo! That's bad! Cut it altogether! Or even better! Make everything optional, right?

Weapons breaking? No, it makes me a weakling. -> optional
Cooking? Nah, hate that - optional.
Guardians? They keep lasertagging my whimpy ass -> optional.
Boss fights? I'm too afraid of challenges -> optional.
Drowning in puddles? Well, not anymore! -> optional. 
Blood moon? No no no, dead enemies must stay dead -> optional.
Slipping on rocks? That's what we're even talking about, dammit! -> optional a thousand times, yo!
The entire Gerudo area? I don't like deserts -> optional.
Lynels? My whimpy ass can't handle them -> optional.
Princess Zelda? Her design in other games was nicer -> optional.

So more options are good, right? Right?! Except they rip the entire soul outta this game. So stop complaining and find your alternate route, y'all.

Hm, I'm not sure I agree with your sentiment (respectfully, of course). Videogames are played because they are something that is entertaining, right? So why wouldn't people be allowed to desire changes to a game that they didn't like aspects of? Voicing your opinion and offering feedback can be a productive way to make future things better.

BotW is a 10/10 in my opinion. Overall, I felt the game got to be too easy on my first playthrough. I'm thankful for the changes brought in Master Mode. Would you have preferred not having an extra option such as this in the game?

I dunno, but it seems like you just made a list of all the negative things you heard about the game and played it off as if the collective whole of them was each individual person's opinion, and made it sound as if it was getting annoying hearing all of these complaints. When in reality, it might be ten different people each saying one thing they didn't like about the game, with none of those ten people having been annoying individually, but if you lump all ten opinions together and treat them as a single argument, you can twist it in a way that makes it sound tiresome.

But I don't mean to offend you. I think I understand what you are trying to say, just the way you said it came off as if you were complaining about other people criticism. It seems like you prefer when things are not optional, and you like when a game is played the way it was envisioned to be played by the developers. Since Zelda is a fantasy RPG, you like to play the game as if you are Link, exploring the world in an organic way. And that's cool, too. Personally, I always play games with a completionist sort of mentality. Rarely do I ever fully complete a game, but I generally try and collect and explore everything along a given path. When it comes to watching others play games, I like watching speedruns, which is a completely different playstyle to my own.

People surely are allowed to express criticism but then they must also be aware that their criticism might not hold any value. I admit that my post was kind of harsh and generalizing, thus shouldn't be taken literal. My list was clearly nothing but an exaggeration.

What I tried to say is that the complaint about having to stop playing because it suddenly started raining is nonsensical because you can simply do something else instead of climbing. It's like trying to smash a wall that appears in front of you when you could easily just walk around it. And so I do not regard this as a valid complaint. It's just stubborness that prevents you from progress.



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

It would be weird if Breath of the Wild had no rain, so of course it's a positive addition.

Rain is a natural obstacle, just like cold and hot places. Lightning adds an extra layer.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
It would be weird if Breath of the Wild had no rain, so of course it's a positive addition.

Rain is a natural obstacle, just like cold and hot places. Lightning adds an extra layer.

It doesn't need to be weird, though. For example, Skyward Sword didn't have rain, and it was weird.