Quantcast
Arc System Works has a new Fighting Game launching in two months??!!

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Arc System Works has a new Fighting Game launching in two months??!!

mZuzek said:
RenCutypoison said:

2 a year lately without sacrificing too much quality IMO.

They do seem to be all polished and everyone loves them on release, but the games haven't held people over for a long time because Arc System always changes focus to the next thing. BlazBlue was a big deal less than a year ago and it's dying fast, Dragon Ball FighterZ was the biggest fighting game in years and now the future doesn't look too promising for it either. Guilty Gear Xrd is probably their best game currently, but it's already moved out of the spotlight.

The fighting games community moves on pretty fast from what I've seen (at my local tournament place, the most popular game was always released in the past 6 months or so, though Tekken 7 and Dragon Ball FighterZ did go longer)

BlazBlue was over in 2015, cross-tag is just a light spinoff. GG is their number one hit series and it's still extremely niche even amongst fighting games.

ASW is just a niche developer with a few one hit wonders, but even so I can see Granblue being a success in Japan and River City Girls will probably be well received by the few Beat'em up players left.

Overall ArcSys is in a pretty good place as a small japanese dev/publisher, compared to NIS, Mages and other similar companies.



Side gril is best gril

Around the Network

Fighting games are very easy to develop. Limited roster, limited stages, barely any story to write.
Just create some animations and you're good to go. Personally I'm sick that nearly every (somewhat recognizable) anime adaptation is a fighting game nowadays.
I was really excited for the Dragon Ball RPG, but that feeling was over once I saw the first trailer. It's probably going to be a typical DB fighter with few RPG elements.



Barozi said:
Fighting games are very easy to develop. Limited roster, limited stages, barely any story to write.
Just create some animations and you're good to go. Personally I'm sick that nearly every (somewhat recognizable) anime adaptation is a fighting game nowadays.
I was really excited for the Dragon Ball RPG, but that feeling was over once I saw the first trailer. It's probably going to be a typical DB fighter with few RPG elements.

Fighting games are pretty hard to develop, ArcSys is one of the smallest company making decently successful fighting games. There are barely any indie traditionnal fighting games, excluding SkullGirls.

Also, most anime adaptations are visual novels, and there are a couple of dungeon crawlers. Mechas don't export well but Gundam as a variety of non traditional fighting games.



Side gril is best gril

RenCutypoison said:
mZuzek said:

They do seem to be all polished and everyone loves them on release, but the games haven't held people over for a long time because Arc System always changes focus to the next thing. BlazBlue was a big deal less than a year ago and it's dying fast, Dragon Ball FighterZ was the biggest fighting game in years and now the future doesn't look too promising for it either. Guilty Gear Xrd is probably their best game currently, but it's already moved out of the spotlight.

The fighting games community moves on pretty fast from what I've seen (at my local tournament place, the most popular game was always released in the past 6 months or so, though Tekken 7 and Dragon Ball FighterZ did go longer)

BlazBlue was over in 2015, cross-tag is just a light spinoff. GG is their number one hit series and it's still extremely niche even amongst fighting games.

Well, as a Smash player first and foremost, I struggle to think of people moving on from a game so quickly as a normal thing. Then again, there are other games that did show longevity outside of Smash, such as Street Fighter, Tekken, and Marvel vs. Capcom (not Infinite, obviously). The idea of getting into a game at a competitive level, learning its mechanics and matchups and taking it seriously only to drop it as soon as the next big thing comes is completely alien to me - then again, with how easy it can be to transition from one fighting game to another, I suppose it's not too different than if Smash had a yearly release or something.



RenCutypoison said:
Barozi said:
Fighting games are very easy to develop. Limited roster, limited stages, barely any story to write.
Just create some animations and you're good to go. Personally I'm sick that nearly every (somewhat recognizable) anime adaptation is a fighting game nowadays.
I was really excited for the Dragon Ball RPG, but that feeling was over once I saw the first trailer. It's probably going to be a typical DB fighter with few RPG elements.

Fighting games are pretty hard to develop, ArcSys is one of the smallest company making decently successful fighting games. There are barely any indie traditionnal fighting games, excluding SkullGirls.

Also, most anime adaptations are visual novels, and there are a couple of dungeon crawlers. Mechas don't export well but Gundam as a variety of non traditional fighting games.

Not really. Balancing is the only hard part as that can be game changing.
Traditional fighting games just aren't that popular which is why there are so few made by indie companies. The market was flooded with theses kind of games a few generations ago and every platform, no matter how obscure had at least one of them made by only a few guys



Around the Network

I thought this was about an unannounced game, and got my hopes up about Persona 5 Arena.

RenCutypoison said:
mZuzek said:

Honestly, they make too many.

2 a year lately without sacrificing too much quality IMO.

@OP : Arc System Works is just publishing this one, it's done by A+ games, who made the LWA game.

Ok, I was just about to say I don't know how good they are with 3D games.

mZuzek:
Well, as a Smash player first and foremost, I struggle to think of people moving on from a game so quickly as a normal thing. Then again, there are other games that did show longevity outside of Smash, such as Street Fighter, Tekken, and Marvel vs. Capcom (not Infinite, obviously). The idea of getting into a game at a competitive level, learning its mechanics and matchups and taking it seriously only to drop it as soon as the next big thing comes is completely alien to me - then again, with how easy it can be to transition from one fighting game to another, I suppose it's not too different than if Smash had a yearly release or something.

@mZuzek Yeah, I think generally when a fighting game is well received, it tends to stick around for several years. SF4/SF5, Marvel vs Capcom 3, KOF 13, Guilty Gear Xrd, Tekken Tag 2/Tekken 7, whatever NRS game is the main focus, etc.



Cerebralbore101 said:

I guess it's a fighter based on the Kill La Kill anime. I watched a few episodes a while back and couldn't get into it. But ASW is hands down the best fighting game dev. They give out DLC for free, and their games are almost entirely complete at launch. Anyway, I just now discovered that this game was on it's way west, and I'm super excited! 

https://opencritic.com/game/7980/kill-la-kill-if

It's good. but only 4 reviews.



Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I guess it's a fighter based on the Kill La Kill anime. I watched a few episodes a while back and couldn't get into it. But ASW is hands down the best fighting game dev. They give out DLC for free, and their games are almost entirely complete at launch. Anyway, I just now discovered that this game was on it's way west, and I'm super excited! 

https://opencritic.com/game/7980/kill-la-kill-if

It's good. but only 4 reviews.

Opencritic was how I first found out about it. It's not out in the west yet, so I guess we'll see. Kinda bummed that it's not ASW itself working on this but another company. 



Cerebralbore101 said:
CaptainExplosion said:
Arc System Works normally makes good fighting games, right?

Yes! They've done Guilty Gear, Blazblue, and Dragonball FighterZ. 

Didn't they also do Double Dragon Neon? :)



Some days I just blow up.

CaptainExplosion said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yes! They've done Guilty Gear, Blazblue, and Dragonball FighterZ. 

Didn't they also do Double Dragon Neon? :)

Nope