Quantcast
Prediction: MP4 will not release on Switch

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: MP4 will not release on Switch

Maybe I'm just a bit too optimistic when it comes to Retro studios, but it seems like a lot of the skepticism around them is really undeserved. It would be one thing if the reaction to them was neutral or more fair, but more often then not as with this prediction, when someone is critical of Retro they take the whole mile instead of the inch. There were a lot of negative things said about the studio that made no sense but were believed until they got put on the job for Metroid Prime 4. Remember when people thought they were going to be shut down because of reviews from a site where anyone can review any company, even if they never worked there? Remember when people used the criticism that they didn't even have anyone from the original Prime days, but then it was shown that like 15 of their top brass is from the Prime trilogy, and a few others were from the early DKC days? Yeah, maybe I shouldn't dwell on that so much, but that really makes me take all of this Retro cynicism with a big grain of salt. Five years isn't a lot of time for one of Nintendo's smaller developers (the last time we got numbers they were only above 70), especially one that's known for utilizing the hardware of Nintendo systems to great affect. Five years is basically the length of one game for most Western developers. 

As already pointed out, a lot of the stuff you use to justify your prediction don't make sense. Nowadays multiple art directors might be needed, or maybe the art director they had left. How does that indicate they haven't started development? We've heard rumors that they showed a demo off to Nintendo to try and get the project, and while rumors can be extremely inaccurate (see the ones I mentioned earlier), it makes a lot of sense considering Nintendo handed them a really beloved IP. Even if the demo was just that; a demo, with it's contents being scrapped, they would at least have a basis of reference and would probably be further in development.

The worst argument by far though is where you basically admit that Nintendo doesn't need Metroid Prime 4, but then are skeptical of Retro's ability to deliver just because of the past 5 years. That might not seem like a contradiction, but think about what's being implied there. Metroid Prime 4 was never a title Nintendo "needed" to do, Metroid isn't a big console seller. If Nintendo didn't have legitimate faith in Retro, they would have just cancelled the project outright. Even in early 2019, they never needed Metroid Prime 4 because the Switch already justified it's existence with a laundry list of high quality exclusives that, unlike Metroid, actually sold a significant amount of systems. So why would the game even be entrusted to Retro unless they had the actual capability to deliver?

Now, if you notice I haven't tackled the issue of release date and that's because you could very well be right. I don't think so but, it could definitely happen. That I don't really care about. As long as it ends up being a great game, I don't really care. I will say though, I find 2024 completely unlikely. Even though I think Nintendo could make Metroid a much more popular IP with Prime 4, being so optimistic as to give it till 2024 to be developed seems too unlikely. It would either have to be an extraordinarily expansive game, or one that Nintendo saw as a huge potential cashcow, and I don't think neither will be true. 



Around the Network

Last big game released on the Switch, that's what i think. Won't be surprised if MP4 ends up in a BOTW-situation which might even be the best thing for that game



Switch friend-code: 6700-1526-7903

PSN: melbye82

I agree, Mario Party 4 will NOT, in fact, release on the Switch. Who thought it would? I mean seriously, who thinks that? It released what, 2002? Why would we get a port of that now? Who is asking for it? Do they want just a straight port, remastered, or remade? WHY?! If they were planning on launching MP4 again, then you'd think they'd do it when they do the GameCube mini, and they haven't even gotten around to doing the N64 mini. Again, I have to ask, why is this a discussion?

MARIO PARTY 4 SHOULD STAY IN THE PAST!



Dulfite said:
I agree, Mario Party 4 will NOT, in fact, release on the Switch. Who thought it would? I mean seriously, who thinks that? It released what, 2002? Why would we get a port of that now? Who is asking for it? Do they want just a straight port, remastered, or remade? WHY?! If they were planning on launching MP4 again, then you'd think they'd do it when they do the GameCube mini, and they haven't even gotten around to doing the N64 mini. Again, I have to ask, why is this a discussion?

MARIO PARTY 4 SHOULD STAY IN THE PAST!

on topic though, no the switch will be around for a good few years to come, even if this is designed to be better played on something like a Switch pro the game "metroid prime 4" will be playable on the Nintendo Switch hardware.



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Amnesia said:

d21lewis, I love you and I want to have your babies. Also, you are better than Rolstoppable in Mario Kart.

Aww, shucks! ☺️



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Dulfite said:
I agree, Mario Party 4 will NOT, in fact, release on the Switch. Who thought it would? I mean seriously, who thinks that? It released what, 2002? Why would we get a port of that now? Who is asking for it? Do they want just a straight port, remastered, or remade? WHY?! If they were planning on launching MP4 again, then you'd think they'd do it when they do the GameCube mini, and they haven't even gotten around to doing the N64 mini. Again, I have to ask, why is this a discussion?

MARIO PARTY 4 SHOULD STAY IN THE PAST!

on topic though, no the switch will be around for a good few years to come, even if this is designed to be better played on something like a Switch pro the game "metroid prime 4" will be playable on the Nintendo Switch hardware.

Wait, what!? You're saying Retro Studios is remaking Mario Party 4?! WELL, NOW I'M INTERESTED! But still, why couldn't they remake the best MP ever, that being two? Mario Party 2 for days, bruh!



I'm fully expecting it to be a cross-gen title, releasing in 2024 for both Switch and its successor, with it selling more on the successor with the big selling point being playing the entire game in VR. Just because it releases for the successor though doesn't mean they'll cancel the Switch version, as we saw with Wii U and Breath of the Wild.



AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The worst argument by far though is where you basically admit that Nintendo doesn't need Metroid Prime 4, but then are skeptical of Retro's ability to deliver just because of the past 5 years. That might not seem like a contradiction, but think about what's being implied there. Metroid Prime 4 was never a title Nintendo "needed" to do, Metroid isn't a big console seller. If Nintendo didn't have legitimate faith in Retro, they would have just cancelled the project outright. Even in early 2019, they never needed Metroid Prime 4 because the Switch already justified it's existence with a laundry list of high quality exclusives that, unlike Metroid, actually sold a significant amount of systems. So why would the game even be entrusted to Retro unless they had the actual capability to deliver?

Metroid isn't a very important IP in terms of attracting a wide audience; the core Nintendo fanbase are not very big fans of those types of games. It is an important IP to certain very loud fans. If Nintendo outright cancelled it, they would get incredibly bad PR by those very loud fans. Similarly, Retro is a highly overrated studio by mostly the exact same loud-Metroid fans. If Nintendo shut down Retro without proper justification, they would get similarly poor press from those loud fans.

A win-win situation is to give Retro Metroid Prime 4, see them fail with it, and then close the studio with little to no backlash. Also, top brass are not the people who created the game, they're the people that managed its production - and from what I heard of the original Metroid Prime games, it was a fairly horrendous production.

None of the Metroid Prime 2002 design team remains with Retro. None of the lead or senior artists or engineers are with Retro (or Nintendo). Six Retro studio artists and engineers (none of them leads or senior staff in the Metroid Prime era) were onboard with Retro for DKC Tropical Freeze. There are many times more former Retro devs (from the MP era) in Armature Studio (https://www.mobygames.com/company/armature-studio) than there are in Retro, and the ones there played far bigger roles in the development of Metroid Prime than anyone currently in the studio; since it is a studio containing the majority of the senior staff from the Metroid Prime dev team, while Retro currently has none of the senior staff.

You can look up their bios here: https://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/metroid-prime/credits

If Nintendo really wanted to give the game to the studio most familiar with Metroid Prime, they'd go out of their way to get Armature Studio to do it.

I know you don't want this to be true because you're a fan (and I admit, I'm not), but you have to question Nintendo's motivations for putting the game in Retro's hands when they clearly don't have the staff for a high-end FPS on the Switch.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The worst argument by far though is where you basically admit that Nintendo doesn't need Metroid Prime 4, but then are skeptical of Retro's ability to deliver just because of the past 5 years. That might not seem like a contradiction, but think about what's being implied there. Metroid Prime 4 was never a title Nintendo "needed" to do, Metroid isn't a big console seller. If Nintendo didn't have legitimate faith in Retro, they would have just cancelled the project outright. Even in early 2019, they never needed Metroid Prime 4 because the Switch already justified it's existence with a laundry list of high quality exclusives that, unlike Metroid, actually sold a significant amount of systems. So why would the game even be entrusted to Retro unless they had the actual capability to deliver?

Metroid isn't a very important IP in terms of attracting a wide audience; the core Nintendo fanbase are not very big fans of those types of games. It is an important IP to certain very loud fans. If Nintendo outright cancelled it, they would get incredibly bad PR by those very loud fans. Similarly, Retro is a highly overrated studio by mostly the exact same loud-Metroid fans. If Nintendo shut down Retro without proper justification, they would get similarly poor press from those loud fans.

A win-win situation is to give Retro Metroid Prime 4, see them fail with it, and then close the studio with little to no backlash. Also, top brass are not the people who created the game, they're the people that managed its production - and from what I heard of the original Metroid Prime games, it was a fairly horrendous production.

None of the Metroid Prime 2002 design team remains with Retro. None of the lead or senior artists or engineers are with Retro (or Nintendo). Six Retro studio artists and engineers (none of them leads or senior staff in the Metroid Prime era) were onboard with Retro for DKC Tropical Freeze. There are many times more former Retro devs (from the MP era) in Armature Studio (https://www.mobygames.com/company/armature-studio) than there are in Retro, and the ones there played far bigger roles in the development of Metroid Prime than anyone currently in the studio; since it is a studio containing the majority of the senior staff from the Metroid Prime dev team, while Retro currently has none of the senior staff.

You can look up their bios here: https://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/metroid-prime/credits

If Nintendo really wanted to give the game to the studio most familiar with Metroid Prime, they'd go out of their way to get Armature Studio to do it.

I know you don't want this to be true because you're a fan (and I admit, I'm not), but you have to question Nintendo's motivations for putting the game in Retro's hands when they clearly don't have the staff for a high-end FPS on the Switch.

First of all, I 100% admit that I don't have the list of people who are still with the company on hand, but its much higher than 6 people. I remember because a VGCHARTZ mod posted it the last time this discussion came up, I can try to find it if you want. Though if we're being honest, nothing will change your opinion. I'm not sure why you posted rebuttals to what I'm saying when I specified top brass, something you acknowledged,  unless you are just making a specification that I didn't need? I can't say I think it matters much whether the majority developers themselves are the same or not, seeing as how Armature is busy making mediocre games, something you conveniently left out. It's funny to see people constantly clamoring for new hands to takeover Nintendo, for new blood, but to see it as a negative thing for Retro. The point wasn't that Retro do have a majority of the old staff (again even said the top brass), but that there is a weird knack for believing only negative rumors regarding the studio. 

Second of all, look at the reception Retro has gotten by enlarge. Nintendo already have the ammo they need to close the studio off. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze got a lot of flack for seeming unambitious to many people, and a lot of fans were disappointed that was the project Retro decided to work on. On top of that, they haven't released a new game in 5 years. There is no reason to believe Nintendo would get massive backlash for such a move. 

Third, this argument makes literally no sense. Nintendo would self sabotage and spend millions just to close a studio and release a mediocre Metroid game? Ok, lol. Companies don't spend the time and effort just as an excuse to close something. If there was a time to pull an unpopular move, it was after releasing a critically acclaimed title, to buffer the affect. Not after releasing a mediocre title in one of Nintendo's most acclaimed series. Don't get me wrong, as I said, Metroid isn't that important unfortunately and it doesn't sell units. But that's why it makes much more sense to cancel a game and studio when there isn't attention on it. Metroid fans, as rabbid as they are, would blame both Retro AND Nintendo.

And honestly I'm not really a fan of Retro. I've gotten Tropical Freeze twice, once on Wii U and once on Switch, and both times I couldn't get into it. I love Prime 1, but it's the only Prime I played for an extensive period of time. I'm also not a big Metroid fan because I simply haven't played many of them - Prime is the only one I finished, though I love the aesthetic and admire the franchise a lot. What I have a lot of confidence in is Nintendo. That's the basket I'm putting my eggs in. Retro is a means to an end, although I would love for them to be great as well simply because Nintendo could use as many good studios as they could get. But if they have gone bad, close them. 

I can appreciate that someone having an extraordinarily biased point of view doesn't mean they can't bring up great arguments. A fanboy can make them, and so can a hater. That being said, I don't think any of these are even close to good. 



Jumpin said:
My personal opinion is Metroid Prime was given to Retro so they’ll fail and Nintendo can shut down the studio with no controversy.

I fail to see why Nintendo would want Retro Studios to fail to do a great job with Metroid Prime 4.