Quantcast
european election

Forums - Politics Discussion - european election

Flilix said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

What did you vote in the past? CD&V/CDH? Groen/Écolo? sp.a/PS? Hard to give you some pointers without knowing where to start. 

Voted Groen on the local election in Octobre, this is my first Flemish/national/European election.

Pros and cons for each of the Flemish parties are to me:

NVA: + Seems to be the most rational and levelheaded overall, - too right on a lot of issues (climate, economy...)

CD&V: + is the most centrist party, - too traditionalist and religious, their main goal seems to be to get votes from relgious people

Groen: + cares the most about the environment, - is the most politically correct

Open VLD: mostly similar to NVA, + they're less conservative, - they're even more libertarian when it comes to climate and economy

SPA: mostly similar to Groen, + they're slightly less politically correct, - they're slightly less green

Vlaams Belang: - they're the far right version of NVA

PVDA: - too communist, far left

So, from what you get, it's gonna be either Groen or SPA, as you seem to value the ecology a lot. Since you voted Groen last time, I'd say either continue with it, or vote SPA if you want to change it up a bit.



Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Flilix said:

Voted Groen on the local election in Octobre, this is my first Flemish/national/European election.

Pros and cons for each of the Flemish parties are to me:

NVA: + Seems to be the most rational and levelheaded overall, - too right on a lot of issues (climate, economy...)

CD&V: + is the most centrist party, - too traditionalist and religious, their main goal seems to be to get votes from relgious people

Groen: + cares the most about the environment, - is the most politically correct

Open VLD: mostly similar to NVA, + they're less conservative, - they're even more libertarian when it comes to climate and economy

SPA: mostly similar to Groen, + they're slightly less politically correct, - they're slightly less green

Vlaams Belang: - they're the far right version of NVA

PVDA: - too communist, far left

So, from what you get, it's gonna be either Groen or SPA, as you seem to value the ecology a lot. Since you voted Groen last time, I'd say either continue with it, or vote SPA if you want to change it up a bit.

Now that I think about it, you're right. I'm definitely going to vote green for Europe, since the environment is a very international subject.

Still not sure about the national elections though, but I'll try to read some more on each parties viewpoints this evening.



Flilix said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

So, from what you get, it's gonna be either Groen or SPA, as you seem to value the ecology a lot. Since you voted Groen last time, I'd say either continue with it, or vote SPA if you want to change it up a bit.

Now that I think about it, you're right. I'm definitely going to vote green for Europe, since the environment is a very international subject.

Still not sure about the national elections though, but I'll try to read some more on each parties viewpoints this evening.

Glad to help!

And yes, reading what the parties have up their sleeves in their programs is important when you want to know who to vote. I always inform myself on what each party wants to do before I cast my votes (we have several votes in Luxembourg, not just one. Which also allows to mix-and-match the parties you like).



The news say, that until midday the turnout was higher than at the last election 2014.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Mnementh said:
The news say, that until midday the turnout was higher than at the last election 2014.

While that's true, I still find it sad, how low these numbers are in general. 19% in France (2014:15%), 29% in Germany, Spain 35%, Netherlands 41%...

Not going to the elections, but then complaining about "unelected Eurocrats"...



Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mnementh said:
The news say, that until midday the turnout was higher than at the last election 2014.

While that's true, I still find it sad, how low these numbers are in general. 19% in France (2014:15%), 29% in Germany, Spain 35%, Netherlands 41%...

Not going to the elections, but then complaining about "unelected Eurocrats"...

Yeah, the interest in the europeaan elections is generally lower. Here for germany in 2014 only 49% were participating in the european election. While this time it seems like it is going up to 60% you still have to compare to our national elections, which never dropped below 70% turnout. By the way, current prognosis for germany says massive losses for the two governing parties (conservatives and social democrats) and big wins for the greens. Our neighbors in the south apparently strongly supported their main governing party ÖVP, but FPÖ (which was star of the scandalous Ibiza video) lost a lot of support.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Mnementh said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

While that's true, I still find it sad, how low these numbers are in general. 19% in France (2014:15%), 29% in Germany, Spain 35%, Netherlands 41%...

Not going to the elections, but then complaining about "unelected Eurocrats"...

Yeah, the interest in the europeaan elections is generally lower. Here for germany in 2014 only 49% were participating in the european election. While this time it seems like it is going up to 60% you still have to compare to our national elections, which never dropped below 70% turnout. By the way, current prognosis for germany says massive losses for the two governing parties (conservatives and social democrats) and big wins for the greens. Our neighbors in the south apparently strongly supported their main governing party ÖVP, but FPÖ (which was star of the scandalous Ibiza video) lost a lot of support.

Yeah, Eurosceptic parties had a mixed bag this year. In the Netherlands, Geert Wilders might get the worst result in his history with only 4%, and the other Eurosceptic party also only reached 11%, way below it's expectations. In Belgium however, the Vlaams Belang seems to have an historic good result, with the N-VA being the other big winner.

Question is, how the UK election will turn out - and if they will have to redo it after it got clear, that they refused about 2M votes from EU nationals, to include their votes.



Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mnementh said:

Yeah, the interest in the europeaan elections is generally lower. Here for germany in 2014 only 49% were participating in the european election. While this time it seems like it is going up to 60% you still have to compare to our national elections, which never dropped below 70% turnout. By the way, current prognosis for germany says massive losses for the two governing parties (conservatives and social democrats) and big wins for the greens. Our neighbors in the south apparently strongly supported their main governing party ÖVP, but FPÖ (which was star of the scandalous Ibiza video) lost a lot of support.

Yeah, Eurosceptic parties had a mixed bag this year. In the Netherlands, Geert Wilders might get the worst result in his history with only 4%, and the other Eurosceptic party also only reached 11%, way below it's expectations. In Belgium however, the Vlaams Belang seems to have an historic good result, with the N-VA being the other big winner.

N-VA is still the biggest party but they're not a 'big winner', they actually lost a few % compared to 2014. Vlaams Belang did indeed reach a historic high, after reaching their low point in 2014. I suppose this is mostly due to voters switching from VB to NVA back then, and switching back now.

The victory of VB will be most notable in the parliament here, since all other parties seem to be completely unwilling to let them in the government.

On European level, this puts eurosceptism at a record high for Belgium, but VB still won't get higher than 15% (so it's still only about the same result as in the Netherlands).

Wallonia is pretty remarkable, it seems to be one of the few places in Europe where the far right isn't able to get big.



Greens are huge this year with the under 30 folk. Very understandable, I guess.

Also, the backlash against the hard right seems to finally have curbed their rise for once. They're underperforming polls in a lot of places.



 

 

 

 

 

Voted for the Pirate Party, because I think they are the most likely to reverse EU's disastrous decision on copyright laws on the internet.

I hope that everyone who was unhappy with that EU decision did the same.

Because surely a lot of the people complaining about EU decisions they don't like wouldn't be stupid enough to vote in EU-sceptic facist parties into the EU rather than try to change the EU for the better.
Right? ...... Right?!?!?



I LOVE ICELAND!