Quantcast
Trump's new tariff proposals include a 25% tax on video game consoles

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Trump's new tariff proposals include a 25% tax on video game consoles

If this winds up making the PS5, and XB2 cost a bunch more money in the states, I will use it to campaign against Trump.



Around the Network

redacted



teamsilent13 said:

redacted

?



Americans should have a stake in keeping silicon valley well off since it's their most productive engine. Do you want to see them have another rust belt again? 

I would rather have the best tech in my hands, why settle for 2nd best? Why prop something up? That's a road to stagnation! Why innovate and push forward when we will get a bail out or falsely propped up. 

Qualcomm's business is mainly their baseband technology like LTE/5G modems and patent licensing but they're shitty BTW since nobody can bother using their millimeter wave 5G technology ... 

Huawei is a threat because of their leading 5G infrastructure equipment since carriers like T-mobile and Vodafone use them to build their wireless networks ... 

Should we not want to use the best? I mean if the roles were reversed I am sure that's what the USA would be saying. 

If you're anti-trade war you may as well be pro-deindustrialization since Shenzhen is going kill silicon valley in the process ... 

Not at all, I am a firm believer in competition breads innovation. If you can't innovate then step aside and let someone better do it. 

What is the west going to do in the future when it finds itself reliant on Chinese technology where China could easily one day place an "export embargo" on them until their 'compliant' with Chinese demands ? 

Kinda like the US is doing now? Why is it ok for the US to be the aggressor but when others "might do it" it's wrong. If your going to dish it out, you better be ready to take it. Karma is a (you get it). 

I also find it rather funny, here in Canada we take heat for subsidizing our farmers yet the US does it also! So again it's bad if someone else does it but great if they do? I guess this whole let the market decide thing is only good if it works for the US.



Avro1958 said:

Americans should have a stake in keeping silicon valley well off since it's their most productive engine. Do you want to see them have another rust belt again? 

I would rather have the best tech in my hands, why settle for 2nd best? Why prop something up? That's a road to stagnation! Why innovate and push forward when we will get a bail out or falsely propped up. 

Qualcomm's business is mainly their baseband technology like LTE/5G modems and patent licensing but they're shitty BTW since nobody can bother using their millimeter wave 5G technology ... 

Huawei is a threat because of their leading 5G infrastructure equipment since carriers like T-mobile and Vodafone use them to build their wireless networks ... 

Should we not want to use the best? I mean if the roles were reversed I am sure that's what the USA would be saying. 

If you're anti-trade war you may as well be pro-deindustrialization since Shenzhen is going kill silicon valley in the process ... 

Not at all, I am a firm believer in competition breads innovation. If you can't innovate then step aside and let someone better do it. 

What is the west going to do in the future when it finds itself reliant on Chinese technology where China could easily one day place an "export embargo" on them until their 'compliant' with Chinese demands ? 

Kinda like the US is doing now? Why is it ok for the US to be the aggressor but when others "might do it" it's wrong. If your going to dish it out, you better be ready to take it. Karma is a (you get it). 

I also find it rather funny, here in Canada we take heat for subsidizing our farmers yet the US does it also! So again it's bad if someone else does it but great if they do? I guess this whole let the market decide thing is only good if it works for the US.

Just realize when the Chinese technologically dominates, there's no "going back" and things are going to change but not necessarily for the better either ... 

There won't be much competition so to speak when China monopolizes every complex industry because there won't be much to innovate when the Chinese can always do that at a lower cost. America literally can't afford to match Chinese human capital ... 

At least with America it is bound by a liberal democracy and rule of law but with China you have comparatively less options so what are American allies going to do if it has to play patsy for an authoritarian Chinese state to keep access to the best technology ? 

You and Canada may not have much of a stake but the American industries would beg to differ and failing to support the biggest free market democracy will mean that democracy itself will have been thus a failure of an experiment. Do you really desire a world where democracy disappears in favour of superior technology ? 

It's time for every American ally out there to rethink the potential future because we can't have 2 competing superpowers coexisting beside each other when both are vying for economic and technological dominance with stark political contrasts to each other. It's more than just a technological contest, it's also a political contest as well where either a liberal democracy will progress or we have "socialism with Chinese characteristics" succeeding in the end ... 

The world at hand might very well have to embrace China's political system to keep up because it's implementation of it has almost proven to be more competent than that of the American's political system or derivatives thereof ... 



Around the Network

We wouldn't need a trade war if we went back to being the well oiled mixed economy we were in the 50's, and 60's. It was a mix of government and capitalism at its best. The government regulated industries, and funded research that few corporations would bother with (due to a high risk to profit ratio, or no profits for decades). Then once the research was complete the government would give this research and/or tech away for free to american companies. Example: Microsoft, Amazon, and Google wouldn't be billion dollar companies if not for the invention of the internet.

Also, the government would fund schools, so that people didn't have to go into massive student loan debt.

But guess who gutted the mixed economy in the 70's, 80's, and 90's? The Republicans.

If China beats us economically, it is because they have a better mixed economy than we do. Pure communism failed with the soviet union. China is Communist with just enough capitalist features to make it not all fall apart.



I wonder whether it's feasible to have them built in a country other than China?



Cerebralbore101 said:
We wouldn't need a trade war if we went back to being the well oiled mixed economy we were in the 50's, and 60's. It was a mix of government and capitalism at its best. The government regulated industries, and funded research that few corporations would bother with (due to a high risk to profit ratio, or no profits for decades). Then once the research was complete the government would give this research and/or tech away for free to american companies. Example: Microsoft, Amazon, and Google wouldn't be billion dollar companies if not for the invention of the internet.

Also, the government would fund schools, so that people didn't have to go into massive student loan debt.

But guess who gutted the mixed economy in the 70's, 80's, and 90's? The Republicans.

If China beats us economically, it is because they have a better mixed economy than we do. Pure communism failed with the soviet union. China is Communist with just enough capitalist features to make it not all fall apart.

Doubt it, America then was dominant because of surrounding circumstances during that time and not down to policies ... (the entire world suffered massively from the after effects of WWII in comparison to the US only seeing pearl harbour getting attacked) 

Government funding for research has only ever proven to be effective at the large scale when attempting to reverse engineer goods from current market leaders to be able to catch up to them but even with state subsidies it has been a huge undertaking by the Chinese government to recreate/rediscover every bit of western technology and sometimes it's a success to the point where Huawei is the leading edge carrier equipment provider and other times like we see with Fujian Jinhua who's been trying to make DRAM with results that have been less than impressive so far despite pouring in billions from the government itself ... (government subsidies do very little once you're the market leader)

People didn't get student loan debts back then because there was a smaller market for post-secondary education so the schools charged less and there were less enrollments as well ... 

If China beats America, it'll be because what they've reverse engineered isn't much behind the leading market leader and they provide abundant high quality labour as well. Mixed economy ? LOL, you must be kidding ... 

China has a 996 hour working hour system, no freedom of movement even within their own country, far worse income inequalities than the western world, anti-union laws, far less generous subsidies/employee benefits and if there was ever a scale from 1-10 rating just how capitalistic each nation is with the US rating at 10 then China would be rated at 11 because that's just how competitively ruthless their system is ... 

A trade war is necessary to curb stomp China's ascent because if one nation has the ability to truly bankrupt America then it's China and only China ...



Thing is it's absolutely absurd to think the US has the power to "curb stomp" China's economy. if they wanted to they should have started this 20 years ago instead of helping it become what it is and going to be. The USA seems to be it's biggest enemy a lot of the time.

Last edited by Avro1958 - on 26 May 2019

Avro1958 said:

Thing is it's absolutely absurd to think the US has the power to "curb stomp" China's economy. if they wanted to they should have started this 20 years ago instead of helping it become what it is and going to be. The USA seems to be it's biggest enemy a lot of the time.

Well it's not like American businesses had much foresight in keeping their trade secrets better guarded and the globalist politicians back then thought that China would somehow transition to a democracy but that boat has already sailed judging by how much of a failure the experiment has been ... 

If and when America moves manufacturing to India, Vietnam, Indonesia, or etc I think it's best that they do not make the same mistakes like they did with China so that western powers may never have to face them on the high-end part of the value chain like they do now potentially for China ... 

It's already be a massive PITA having to compete with China in world leading technology so let's just not reveal anymore IPs to other countries if we want to keep them for low-end manufacturing for as long as possible ... 

Let's also make a law that bars employees who knows critical trade secrets from working for foreign firms ...