Quantcast
Playing God of War. My thoughts so far.

Forums - Sony Discussion - Playing God of War. My thoughts so far.

EricHiggin said:
GOW visually was impressive from the start for me. The turtle house area I found a bit of a wow moment, and the Lake of Nine area a little more so, then World Tree, and then when I passed the pillars in Alfheim, I leaned forward on the couch and just stared. It's not the last impressive area you'll see.

That's nice to hear. I also liked the the teleportation room sequence, so I was under the impression that there would be more impressive looking areas and sequences like that.

EricHiggin said:
Early in the game you don't get a lot of gear and hacksilver isn't as plentiful. Eventually you will get to a point where you will definitely notice it ramps up a bit, and it tends to pick up from there. I found buying gear wasn't all that useful early on anyway. Upgrading weapons and skills was more useful.

Yeah, I am mostly saving my resources, because I can get by with what I have, and so that I can spend them on worthwhile things later.
Weapon upgrade seem tied to story progression though? At least the Leviathan Axe that requites a Frozen Flame every time, I think.

I'm not sure what upgrading skills does exactly though? For example I have a cooldown skill that heals my HP a bit. I can upgrade it, but the description does not suggest that it's healing capabilities increase if I do. Only the accompanying stats. So I didn't try that yet.

EricHiggin said:
You can go back to most area's when you finish the story, but there are a few area's you can't and there are some transition points from area to area that are blocked off as well. I tried to get everything on my first pass through and didn't miss much. I did miss a gold chest in Thamur's Corpse, which I couldn't go back and get after, but luckily once you finish the story you can go to a shop and purchase that item.

Hmm, didn't expect that. I'll keep that in mind going forward, but maybe I'll find a balance between story and side quests, rather than just doing every single optional thing possible as soon as it becomes available.
I have 9 out 9 Apples, so maybe I maxed out my HP through that mechanic already (unless there is more), but not feeling like I made meaningful progress through the side quests made them less interesting last few times I played. But things like saving the dragon was interesting. And I understand there are a few more as well.

EricHiggin said: You're not even half way. A quarter, possibly, maybe not even that far. Hard to say exactly. If you're going to do everything then there's plenty more. The story no doubt get's better and deeper as you go, and if you know Norse mythology, it makes it even better.

Alright, that's about what I expected.

twintail said:
Hiku said:

It's just I have a lot of other games I'd rather play instead, like finishing Persona 5, or playing Kingdom Hearts 3, Spiderman, Resident Evil 2, etc. So I kinda have to force myself to get through God of War, or I'll possibly never do it.

I'm not even sure why you're still playing GoW when it's clear you don't want to.

Because some times you discover good things when you persevere. Like how I went from not having fun, to having fun once I reached the Lake of Nine. And being impressed by Alfheim.



Around the Network

Mh. If you dont enjoy it because of game mechanics/combat, why play the at all?



Hunting Season is nigh...

Zoombael said:
Mh. If you dont enjoy it because of game mechanics/combat, why play the at all?

I found the blue/red crystal puzzles, along with some others involving raising/lowering the floor levels fun in Alfheim.

Combat is passable. It's not boring, but aside from a few exceptions, it's also not something I want to spend much time with. Currently the length of battles are fine. I don't have an issue with it.



Have you played the other games? Or do you at least know the history of them and the general story and personality of Kratos? Bc that is important in order to feel invested in the story.

I freakin hated Kratos prior to GoW 2018. I beat GoW 1, played a couple hours of GoW 2 before losing complete interest, and played most of GoW 3 but couldn’t be bothered to finish it. But the context I got from playing some of the prior games (and watching IGN’s “God of War in 5min”) is part of what made GoW 2018 so special. It’s my favorite game of all time, and Kratos is now one of my favorite characters of all time.



Criticism having not played a game - "You can't judge it you haven't even played it"

Criticism having played a game - "If you don't like it, why play it?"

Interesting.



"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:

Have you played the other games? Or do you at least know the history of them and the general story and personality of Kratos? Bc that is important in order to feel invested in the story.

I freakin hated Kratos prior to GoW 2018. I beat GoW 1, played a couple hours of GoW 2 before losing complete interest, and played most of GoW 3 but couldn’t be bothered to finish it. But the context I got from playing some of the prior games (and watching IGN’s “God of War in 5min”) is part of what made GoW 2018 so special. It’s my favorite game of all time, and Kratos is now one of my favorite characters of all time.

I have not played the other games. I should have pointed that out.
But I have looked up a story summary of GOW 1-3.

Needless to say his character and motivations were pretty shallow in comparison. And I do find the concept of how he is developed here interesting, coming from that previous story. But he is a man of few words, and hasn't taken many notable actions so far in the story, so what I mainly like about the story so far is the banter between the characters, and the performance by the actors. But I still don't care much about the characters, except Freya, and her pig.



IkePoR said:
Criticism having not played a game - "You can't judge it you haven't even played it"

Criticism having played a game - "If you don't like it, why play it?"

Interesting.

I'm a little surprised that some people are disregarding the parts I did enjoy.

As if anything I don't enjoy (which can go up and down btw) overshadows everything I did enjoy.

Seeing Elfheim has so far been worth it by itself. It was both stunningly beautiful, and subverted my expectations.

Last edited by Hiku - on 23 May 2019

Hiku said:

Yeah, I am mostly saving my resources, because I can get by with what I have, and so that I can spend them on worthwhile things later.
Weapon upgrade seem tied to story progression though? At least the Leviathan Axe that requites a Frozen Flame every time, I think.

I'm not sure what upgrading skills does exactly though? For example I have a cooldown skill that heals my HP a bit. I can upgrade it, but the description does not suggest that it's healing capabilities increase if I do. Only the accompanying stats. So I didn't try that yet.

Ya I think weapon and skill upgrades through flames were mostly if not always through story, since you're always running into the shops afterwards where you can use those items to have the blacksmiths oh so elegantly craft your upgrades.

The skills allow for different play styles. It changes or enhances the combat. If you think the combat is boring, acquiring skills will help with that. The more skills you acquire the deadlier you and the boy become and the more options you have. Don't forget about the boy. Making sure he has more better skills and that his armor and weapons are upgraded is more important than you might think. He can be much more helpful, but then again, that may not be your style and may not fit your combat tastes.

Hiku said:

Hmm, didn't expect that. I'll keep that in mind going forward, but maybe I'll find a balance between story and side quests, rather than just doing every single optional thing possible as soon as it becomes available.
I have 9 out 9 Apples, so maybe I maxed out my HP through that mechanic already (unless there is more), but not feeling like I made meaningful progress through the side quests made them less interesting last few times I played. But things like saving the dragon was interesting. And I understand there are a few more as well.

I tried to keep it balanced when I played. Some purple enemies are really tough fights but doable, but some like the one or two shots just aren't worth it so it's best to leave them be and move on to something more reasonable or advance through the story some more. Dragon saving is interesting, but there's one who's a unique encounter and I really enjoyed that portion.

Hiku said:

Alright, that's about what I expected.

Ya like with DonF mentioning 40%, I'd say your 40% at the most. I was figuring around 25% at the least, so say 30% to 40%, somewhere in there.



The Canadian National Anthem According To Justin Trudeau

 

Oh planet Earth! The home of native lands, 
True social law, in all of us demand.
With cattle farts, we view sea rise,
Our North sinking slowly.
From far and snide, oh planet Earth, 
Our healthcare is yours free!
Science save our land, harnessing the breeze,
Oh planet Earth, smoke weed and ferment yeast.
Oh planet Earth, ell gee bee queue and tee.

it looks pretty fun to me, ill probly try it soon but if youre not having fun i say stop playing



Hiku said:
Zoombael said:
Mh. If you dont enjoy it because of game mechanics/combat, why play the at all?

I found the blue/red crystal puzzles, along with some others involving raising/lowering the floor levels fun in Alfheim.

Combat is passable. It's not boring, but aside from a few exceptions, it's also not something I want to spend much time with. Currently the length of battles are fine. I don't have an issue with it.

Raising and lowering floor levels fun.  That's news to me.  I wanted to throw my N64 through the window with OoT.  I never finished the damn game.  Fuck the water temple.