Quantcast
Switch overtakes total PS4 sales in Japan, in less than half the time

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch overtakes total PS4 sales in Japan, in less than half the time

Impressive. As Japan still prefers portables, and now hybrids too, that's why Sony should consider also a hybrid version of PS5, and actually, despite I was mildly disappointed when I came to know PS5 will be based on semi-custom Zen2 and Navi graphics with possibly just a few carefully chosen next-gen improvements, it could make it a lot easier to build a viable hybrid when Zen3 CPU and Arcturus GPU cores will be available.



Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")

A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.

TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!

        

Around the Network
NathanSSSS said:
RolStoppable said:

It is despite your sarcasm. Switch launched in the same year during which the PS4 peaked. The PS4 was at its strongest, but Nintendo had no problems to sell their own console. So why do you consider the PS5 a threat to Switch?

Because I think switch itself is overrated, any new challenger in this industry can be a threat to it.

Considering that it does exactly what it is supposed to do, allow me to continue the same games on the go that I play at home without the need to double dip or use multiple saves for multiple devices, it is not overrated at all really.  Between my downtime at work or killing time on long trips, it is nice to be able to double my play time without the need to try and play different games and jump back and forth.  It is the perfect device for the busy adult actually, which is why the ads target adults to begin with.

This is why I even buy all 3rd party games on Switch over my PS4 Pro.  I gain so much more from it in the end.



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Shiken said:
NathanSSSS said:

Because I think switch itself is overrated, any new challenger in this industry can be a threat to it.

Considering that it does exactly what it is supposed to do, allow me to continue the same games on the go that I play at home without the need to double dip or use multiple saves for multiple devices, it is not overrated at all really.  Between my downtime at work or killing time on long trips, it is nice to be able to double my play time without the need to try and play different games and jump back and forth.  It is the perfect device for the busy adult actually, which is why the ads target adults to begin with.

This is why I even buy all 3rd party games on Switch over my PS4 Pro.  I gain so much more from it in the end.

Glad u find it helpful for the portability the switch brought to u, but to me, whenever I'm outside on the go, I basically never touch any game things, I'd rather talk with my friends, or focus on things around me, things were totally different when I was a child though, the time I took my PSP or NDS everywhere I went are long gone. For me now, time on gaming only happens in my bedroom or living room where I can comfortably sit on the couch to relax from a full day study or work while enjoying the game on big screen, in that case, switch just seems not too impressive to me since I actually barely use it in handheld mode, the reason for me to buy a switch is simply Zelda and Pokemon or other N first party games, third party games for me are always going to PS4 pro, one X or even PC, bcz no matter on graphics or performance, those are all superior than switch making way better experience for gaming.



Great sales. How is it doing in comparison to the 3DS when aligned? At first I didn't think the Switch could go past 20m in Japan even though the 3DS did, since it's half portable half home console, but now I can see it happening.
Also, the switch has been consistently outselling the PS4 in the US as well if I'm not mistaken, and sales in Europe are great too (even though they haven't reached PS4 levels).
Is it possible that the Switch will ultimately outsell the PS4 lifetime?



curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

26 months vs. 62 months. A weird half.

EDIT: I see you edited the title, but you should also edit your OP. Currently it implies that the PS4 was the previous market leader, but that isn't true at all.

Edited. I really shouldn't post threads before my morning coffee, I am a zombie before I partake of the bean.

At a lot of the places where this has been posted the excuse of "of course it did, it's a portable" has been bandied about a lot, but I feel this is an oversimplification. After all, Vita being portable didn't stop the PS4 outselling it in Japan.

Yes let's compare the system that did 15M versus 100M globally because of reasons.

Do you really think if Switch was a full blown console it would have sold at over double the speed?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network
ptofhearts said:
Great sales. How is it doing in comparison to the 3DS when aligned? At first I didn't think the Switch could go past 20m in Japan even though the 3DS did, since it's half portable half home console, but now I can see it happening.
Also, the switch has been consistently outselling the PS4 in the US as well if I'm not mistaken, and sales in Europe are great too (even though they haven't reached PS4 levels).
Is it possible that the Switch will ultimately outsell the PS4 lifetime?

In Japan Switch is about 3m behind the 3DS, but the early price cut of the 3DS pulled sales that would have happened in later years forward, so it has a sales curve that is daunting in the first three years and tapers off afterwards. Switch might never top the 3DS's best year (~5.5m if memory serves right), but it has very good chances to post more 3m+ years than the 3DS due to better spaced out price cuts and revisions. It might take until year 7 before Switch matches the 3DS, but at that point the 20m mark would have already been crossed.

In the USA Switch is about 2m ahead of the PS4. Worldwide through 24 months - so both consoles have had each month of the year exactly twice - Switch leads the PS4 by about 4m units, an increase of 1m units compared to the period of the first 12 months.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/436715/switch-vs-ps4vgchartz-gap-chartsfebruary-2019-update/

So in the sum, Switch's deficits in Europe and the rest of the world are more than offset by its advantages in Japan and the USA. It is certainly possible that Switch sells more units than the PS4 lifetime, especially because of Switch's potential to sell multiple units to the same household, something that won't widely occur before the console is sold for a sub-$200 price.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

CGI-Quality said:

Guys, let’s try to reduce ‘it’s only because’ and actually consider a well placed product that hit at a crucial time. I’m not saying opposing opinions shouldn’t matter, only that you should avoid hit-and-run posts that don’t invite real discussion.

Problem is OP didn't do any favor when basically he wants to prove it isn't because it is a portable. So basically he directioned to it.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

RolStoppable said:
ptofhearts said:
Great sales. How is it doing in comparison to the 3DS when aligned? At first I didn't think the Switch could go past 20m in Japan even though the 3DS did, since it's half portable half home console, but now I can see it happening.
Also, the switch has been consistently outselling the PS4 in the US as well if I'm not mistaken, and sales in Europe are great too (even though they haven't reached PS4 levels).
Is it possible that the Switch will ultimately outsell the PS4 lifetime?

In Japan Switch is about 3m behind the 3DS, but the early price cut of the 3DS pulled sales that would have happened in later years forward, so it has a sales curve that is daunting in the first three years and tapers off afterwards. Switch might never top the 3DS's best year (~5.5m if memory serves right), but it has very good chances to post more 3m+ years than the 3DS due to better spaced out price cuts and revisions. It might take until year 7 before Switch matches the 3DS, but at that point the 20m mark would have already been crossed.

In the USA Switch is about 2m ahead of the PS4. Worldwide through 24 months - so both consoles have had each month of the year exactly twice - Switch leads the PS4 by about 4m units, an increase of 1m units compared to the period of the first 12 months.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/436715/switch-vs-ps4vgchartz-gap-chartsfebruary-2019-update/

So in the sum, Switch's deficits in Europe and the rest of the world are more than offset by its advantages in Japan and the USA. It is certainly possible that Switch sells more units than the PS4 lifetime, especially because of Switch's potential to sell multiple units to the same household, something that won't widely occur before the console is sold for a sub-$200 price.

Thanks for the info. So the Switch has a lot of potential since it's definitely not peaked yet. With well-placed price cuts and the possibility of revisions it may skyrocket and become one of the highest selling consoles ever.

Is it realistic to think it can match the DS? The market is pretty crowded today but for some reason I feel like just upgrading hardware isn't going to be enough going forward and unless PS5 and XBOX whatever are really impressive...

I guess we'll see.



Bofferbrauer2 said:
NathanSSSS said:

Things gonna be tough for Nintendo when the market there for switch comes to a saturation point especially considering PS5 is on the horizon, very interested in how Nintendo will do then, forcing a new generation console again with meh power making it hybrid to guarantee their "success" in home with poor unnecessary third party support? If it is it, I call it dumb. As always, I'd rather play on a real home console without compromise on power.

⚠️ WARNED: Trolling ~ CGI

Well, that might be right for you, but in Japan, you would be in the minority.

For instance, you need to add PS3, 360, PS4. XBO and Wii just to get past the 3DS. Handheld gaming trumps console gaming there.

Also, without compromise on power? Then what do you do with a console? If you want no compromise, get a PC!

So considering PS3, X360, PS4, Wii and X1 have great games and all else Switch have but not portability then you are basically disproving the OP when he tries to prove that portability isn't the major important point for the high sales of Switch in Japan right?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

We certainly could make a thread with

If WW Switch is basically aligned with PS4, why in Japan it is selling at over double the pace if not for portability being the major point in JAPAN?



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994