Quantcast
Deleting account

Forums - General Discussion - Deleting account

Too bad this site isn't operated in the EU. You'd be deleted in no time, if necessary by force of law.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
vivster said:
Too bad this site isn't operated in the EU. You'd be deleted in no time, if necessary by force of law.

Well it actually kind of is. It's a UK site and the UK is still a part of the EU for now.

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 15 May 2019

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

sethnintendo said:

So everyone here that says he should just stop logging don't give a shit about being in control of their personal data. To ask someone to go back and edit all their posts to nothing is overbearing to the user. A simple delete profile isn't asking for much. I'm going to look into EU online rights law more even though I'm not even European because frankly this seems to be in violation.

How would you like it if Facebook or any other shit social media site said nope sorry can't delete your posts, pics or profile?

Well the difference is that he's using an alias here and doesn't have to post any personal data, while social networks require you to use real personal information.
EU law definitely allows you to force companies to delete pictures of yourself or your personal info. But I'm not so sure if that also works for aliases.



Ka-pi96 said:
vivster said:
Too bad this site isn't operated in the EU. You'd be deleted in no time, if necessary by force of law.

Well it actually kind of is. It's a UK site and the UK is still a part of the EU for now.

Good to know. Well, OP can start suing then if they don't delete his account. The GDPR is a joy.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Ka-pi96 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

just post some porn or make a thread calling everyone out or some shit OP, go out in a blaze of glory 

that way the mods have no choice but to say get this motherfucker out of here

don't actually do that.

I can confirm from personal experience that this doesn't actually work.

damn, what did you do lmao, post porn? call someone out? or what 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 15 May 2019

Around the Network

You can always go through every post you have made on the site and edit away all the text. You can also delete all your information yourself. The power is in your hands!! :D



Just code a script that repeats 'your mom' in a random thread once a week, that way you will stay banned forever.



Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

CGI-Quality said:
mZuzek said:

Is it harder to permaban someone?

Since permabanning someone takes effort and just, you know, avoiding a site doesn't, I'd say yes. There's just not much of an argument to having to perm someone who could just not log in. If that isn't something one can do, then they must not really want to leave the site.

That said, maybe in the future The Mods and Admins could agree on adding a 'Delete Profile' feature.

how fucking hard is it to click a few buttons to permaban someone versus say somebody having an addiction and telling them "just dont visit the site lol"

10/10 logic 🙃

yeah and im sure the guy attempting to quit smoking for the 8th time and failing doesnt want to quit smoking does he



axumblade said:
CGI-Quality said:
We no longer honor Perma requests. :P

Just log off and forget the site exists!

Or do like a member from years ago and change the password (and email I think?) so the temptation isn't there. I know there are ways around that but it makes it more difficult and less worth the effort to some. 

Or like some other user who started cursing all and everybody until he got banned for it, just like he wanted to.



ktay95 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Since permabanning someone takes effort and just, you know, avoiding a site doesn't, I'd say yes. There's just not much of an argument to having to perm someone who could just not log in. If that isn't something one can do, then they must not really want to leave the site.

That said, maybe in the future The Mods and Admins could agree on adding a 'Delete Profile' feature.

how fucking hard is it to click a few buttons to permaban someone versus say somebody having an addiction and telling them "just dont visit the site lol"

10/10 logic 🙃

yeah and im sure the guy attempting to quit smoking for the 8th time and failing doesnt want to quit smoking does he

But permabanning an account doesn't mean that the user can't visit the site any longer. They just can't post with their original account.
The only way to "get clean" would indeed be to just avoid the site.
Other than that they could create a new alt account, but then the ban record of the old account is gone, so mods might have to ban the new alt account and de-ban the old account or leave a message that the user used to own another account.
And since requested permabans can be lifted again if the user wants to, it's definitely more work for mods.

Last edited by Barozi - on 15 May 2019