Quantcast
Can Avengers: Endgame take the #1 spot beating Avatar?

Forums - Movies Discussion - Can Avengers: Endgame take the #1 spot beating Avatar?

Will Avengers:Endgame beat Avatar?

Yes 66 79.52%
 
No 17 20.48%
 
Total:83

Nope. Detective Pikachu will reign supreme.



Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Nope. Detective Pikachu will reign supreme.



Some days I just blow up.

Record: >> Zoe Saldana/Gamora/Neytiri/Uhura is the most bankable actress in the world, bar none.



Azelover said:
I just watched the movie last night. I was one hour in line to get the tickets, and I almost couldn't make it. There were about a dozen seats left by the time I got there.

And all I could say is, I don't know what the fuss is all about. Considering the amount of interest this movie is getting, I thought it would be an incredible movie, but it isn't. The pacing was a little off, there was too much fake drama. The action scenes, especially the big one, were nice. And there were a lot of holes within the script. Which is normal considering the time travel technicalities, which they always get wrong. I wish they'd stop making movies with that theme.

I don't quite understand why this is so popular. Would anybody please explain it to me?

As a movie, by itself, I think it's a decent movie but not a great one.  

It had a lot of great moments and a lot of fan service.  But if you aren't a fan of Marvel, there's not as much good going on here.  

Spoiler!

The whole time story arch is bothersome, but it made for a lot of great parts.  

The moments like Tony meeting his dad, Cap seeing someone special, Thor meeting his mom.  I loved all these, but a lot of these can be very hit or miss with the person.  

I know some people didn't really like Tony meeting his dad.  It was awkward because Tony knew and his dad didn't.  So it didn't feel all that great.  But I still enjoyed seeing them bond over having children and as a parent, that hit me hard.  But not everyone will feel the same way about that.  

For a lot of the characters it felt like a good end of their arc.  Which doesn't make for a satisfying movie, unless you really connected with the characters beforehand.  

The movie takes advantage of nostalgia with the time travel plot.

As a movie by itself, I think it's okay.  The real success of the movie is capping off and connecting with the previous 21 films, and doing that pretty well.  



it's a good movie but I don't see why it deserves it, because it's a messy blend of almost every superhero possible?

inflation adjusted - which is the real thing - it won't be No1 , justice!! :P



Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Honestly, if we took inflation and ticket prices into account I'd say this ranking would look a whole lot different. Doesn't mean the accomplishment EndGame is setting isn't incredible per say, but when the price of tickets is almost the double from when I saw Avatar back then (Around 8 CAN$) and now you gotta shelve 15 bucks just to go see one ...

We don't take inflation into account because its a dumb thing to do, if we do that Gone With the Wind would be forever the number 1 BO ever. However Gone With the Wind screened for almost 1 year and ppl didn't have TV sets back them, the only way to see the movie ever was to go to the cinema, so if you want to adjust to inflation you have to also destroy every TV set in the world and leave Endgame on the box office for almost 1 year as well.

Engame is still tracking ahead of Infinity War and IW made around 600m from its 12th day till it ended its run, in other words Endgame is on track to make 700m more or less till it ends its run beating Avatar confortably. Other movies comming out don't realy matter cause IW had other movies in its way too and we're comparing Engame to IW now to know where the BO will likely end. In fact Endgame's behavior is almost identical to IW if you ignore its first week wich was phenomenal and way bigger than expectations so projections are most likely correct here.

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
it's a good movie but I don't see why it deserves it, because it's a messy blend of almost every superhero possible?

inflation adjusted - which is the real thing - it won't be No1 , justice!! :P

It deserves it cause it is the biggest cinematic event ever, its the culmination of 11 years of storytelling and 22 movies. Theres no denying the fact that Hollywood has never before seen something like the Marvel did in the last decade and it might never happen again. Also the movie is incredibly competent considering the task it had to accomplish, it shouldn't even exist yet it does and work very well as a closure to a cicle.

See above, adjusting to inflation would only ever make sense if you also change the world to perfectly mirror how things were on the momment of release of these movies, it'll never make sense and thats exactly why ppl don't do it for tracking BO.

Last edited by DakonBlackblade - on 08 May 2019

haxxiy said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Avatar released in 2009. Avengers: End Game released in 2019.
Population in 2019 roughly 1 billion more than 2009 and more people are going to see the latest films and obvious the latest film
Over hyped blockbuster films frequently get huge sales regardless if the success is deserved or not. Lower budget films with better acting and better stories rarely get the commercial success they deserve.

Yes. James Cameron grossing over $6.5 billion (adjusted) and 14 oscars between two movies without any sort of franchise or build-up around them is definitely a most impressive achievement than the MCU, same for George Lucas with Star Wars, and the first one specifically.

Actually that couldn't be much further from the truth.

Just a few movies that were #1 at their time:

- Jaws

- E.T

- Jurrasic Park

- Titanic 

- Avatar

It's always the brand-new IP's that hold the record, because it's something brand new and fresh that has novelty.

With a 22 movie series, it's way harder to hold interest for years before people stop watching. There has already been three avengers films before this one, including one that came out just one year ago.

It's way harder when it comes to sequels. Look at your own example, Star Wars. Despite The Empire Strikes Back holding the most critical acclaim and fan following, it's couldn't gross as much as the first Star Wars. Then Return of the Jedi went on to do even less than that.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Mar1217 said:

Honestly, if we took inflation and ticket prices into account I'd say this ranking would look a whole lot different. Doesn't mean the accomplishment EndGame is setting isn't incredible per say, but when the price of tickets is almost the double from when I saw Avatar back then (Around 8 CAN$) and now you gotta shelve 15 bucks just to go see one ...

That raise in ticket price is because the US economy tanked hard in 2008-2010, where CAD was nearly 1:1 with USD.

Now USD is much better and for one Canadian Dollar you only get 70 US cents in return.

So once you transate that ticket value to USD (the currency which box office is measured in) with the conversion rate of each movie's time, Avengers only comes out as very slightly more expensive.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
haxxiy said:

Yes. James Cameron grossing over $6.5 billion (adjusted) and 14 oscars between two movies without any sort of franchise or build-up around them is definitely a most impressive achievement than the MCU, same for George Lucas with Star Wars, and the first one specifically.

Actually that couldn't be much further from the truth.

Just a few movies that were #1 at their time:

- Jaws

- E.T

- Jurrasic Park

- Titanic 

- Avatar

It's always the brand-new IP's that hold the record, because it's something brand new and fresh that has novelty.

With a 22 movie series, it's way harder to hold interest for years before people stop watching. There has already been three avengers films before this one, including one that came out just one year ago.

It's way harder when it comes to sequels. Look at your own example, Star Wars. Despite The Empire Strikes Back holding the most critical acclaim and fan following, it's couldn't gross as much as the first Star Wars. Then Return of the Jedi went on to do even less than that.

Did you see the other posts? Gone With the Wind was first and it still is. Only James Cameron and the first Star Wars came close.

ESB made more money than ANH on their respective first runs. But ANH got tons of re-releases and lingered in theaters for many years, specially before its sequel came out, while ESB didn't. It was a different time, with a different kind of movie-going culture. One that had all but waned by the early to mid 80s. Some blame it in VHS and cable TV, but it happened before VHS was really popular.

And you seem to presume there is a single audience block interested in all Marvel movies who has stuck with it from the beginning. But these 22 movies have wildly different stories, characters and box office incomes. And a very thin plot thread binding them all together (which often doesn't appear until after the credits!). The crossover events, and specially the two Avenger Thanos movies, are just where they managed to gather all these disparaging audiences together. It makes sense, considering these movies could end with the death or their favorite characters.

You would have a point, there, if these movies were called Avengers 1 to 22.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 08 May 2019

 

 

 

 

 

I think it will beat Avatar for the #1 movie in history and maybe pass 3 billion, as for it passing star wars 7 domestically that is a challenge.



Proud to be a Californian.