Quantcast
Star Citizen. Finally someone calls a spade a spade. Scam.

Forums - PC Discussion - Star Citizen. Finally someone calls a spade a spade. Scam.

Star citizen

Crowd funding disaster 23 43.40%
 
Crowd funding success 13 24.53%
 
There is still hope 8 15.09%
 
I have no dog in this fight 9 16.98%
 
Total:53
RaptorChrist said:
VAMatt said:
Even if it does come out sometime, it is still a scam. The game was supposed to launch 5 years ago. A delay of a few months, maybe even a year or two, could be considered a normal part of game development. But, running 5 years over a deadline is not normal. It means that they lied in the initial pitch, and lied about that lie over and over again. They clearly didn't have the ability to deliver the game, but continually claimed that they would do so.

Didn't their plans become more ambitious as they continued to raise more money, which could explain the delays.

I think the developers have good intentions, at the very least. A "scam" implies that they are manipulating people to get their money, and I'm not sure if that's the case. I know very little of the project, so this is all just speculation.

Well, the people who quit said Robert's won't make up his mind on things. Or when he does he changes so things have to be redone. There's one of two things going on. He's either an extreme perfectionist and wants everything a certain way. Of course, if that were the case, they could still put out the product, even if it wasn't 100% finished, years ago and update it regularly, a la No Man's Sky.

Or he's using perfectionism as an excuse to keep this money train going, while having to put out much. Seems he was able to make up his mind on buying a $5M home last year. And on giving his family and friends high paying jobs that he refuses to disclose how much they make.



Around the Network
Faelco said:
Safiir said:

Nobody else is building a fantasy like that. If all your life you've been dreaming about a game like that is it not worth it to invest even thousands of dollars in order for your fantasy to become a reality?

People are paying for the developer's fantasy though, it's obvious from the article. The guy always tried to do what he wanted without caring about the consequences, and he has now a perfect opportunity with huge funds handed to him, allowing him to show all his incompetence in service of his fantasy. 

Players have no idea what the final product will really look like: it's his fantasy, his project. The backers have no real words in this. 

That's not entirely true. Since the dev roadmap was published we have a pretty good idea how things are progressing and there haven't been any huge delays. The problem was the first 4-5 years (yeah that's pretty much as bad as it sounds). Currently things are going pretty smoothly.



I spent 45 bucks on this thing 3 and a half years ago for a copy of the game, some dinky little ship, and a copy of Squadron 42. Honestly, the amount of time spent playing the different builds has ALMOST been worth the 45 dollars. When I get my copy of Squadron 42 (which is the piece I'm most excited about, to tell the truth), it will have been more than worth my initial investment. Star Citizen proper will just be gravy added to that, but the campaign is where my interest lies, and is what I was hoping Star Citizen would be anyways. If Squadron 42 doesn't happen, I will be disappointed, but I won't feel like I've been ripped off or anything. Seeing the game evolve and grow with each build as been a pretty fun experience so far.

I also don't pay attention to those super expensive ship packages that you guys seem to keep harping on. Doesn't affect me one way or another, and if it helps get the game made, then bonus, I guess. But I'll make my way in the game with the shitty little beginner ship I bought over 3 years ago.



CladInShadows said:

I also don't pay attention to those super expensive ship packages that you guys seem to keep harping on. Doesn't affect me one way or another...

Expensive Pay 2 Win stuff doesn't affect gameplay?

Gonna have to doubt that.



Megiddo said:

CladInShadows said:

I also don't pay attention to those super expensive ship packages that you guys seem to keep harping on. Doesn't affect me one way or another...

Expensive Pay 2 Win stuff doesn't affect gameplay?

Gonna have to doubt that.

My play style will largely be unaffected by it, since PVP is optional and I fully intend to experience the game with real life friends, not online strangers.



Around the Network
CladInShadows said:
I spent 45 bucks on this thing 3 and a half years ago for a copy of the game, some dinky little ship, and a copy of Squadron 42. Honestly, the amount of time spent playing the different builds has ALMOST been worth the 45 dollars. When I get my copy of Squadron 42 (which is the piece I'm most excited about, to tell the truth), it will have been more than worth my initial investment. Star Citizen proper will just be gravy added to that, but the campaign is where my interest lies, and is what I was hoping Star Citizen would be anyways. If Squadron 42 doesn't happen, I will be disappointed, but I won't feel like I've been ripped off or anything. Seeing the game evolve and grow with each build as been a pretty fun experience so far.

I also don't pay attention to those super expensive ship packages that you guys seem to keep harping on. Doesn't affect me one way or another, and if it helps get the game made, then bonus, I guess. But I'll make my way in the game with the shitty little beginner ship I bought over 3 years ago.

You paid for a tile or two in one of the bathrooms of Roberts 5 million new home purchase. 



 

John2290 said:
CladInShadows said:
I spent 45 bucks on this thing 3 and a half years ago for a copy of the game, some dinky little ship, and a copy of Squadron 42. Honestly, the amount of time spent playing the different builds has ALMOST been worth the 45 dollars. When I get my copy of Squadron 42 (which is the piece I'm most excited about, to tell the truth), it will have been more than worth my initial investment. Star Citizen proper will just be gravy added to that, but the campaign is where my interest lies, and is what I was hoping Star Citizen would be anyways. If Squadron 42 doesn't happen, I will be disappointed, but I won't feel like I've been ripped off or anything. Seeing the game evolve and grow with each build as been a pretty fun experience so far.

I also don't pay attention to those super expensive ship packages that you guys seem to keep harping on. Doesn't affect me one way or another, and if it helps get the game made, then bonus, I guess. But I'll make my way in the game with the shitty little beginner ship I bought over 3 years ago.

You paid for a tile or two in one of the bathrooms of Roberts 5 million new home purchase. 

I'm glad I did my part.



I think kickstarting any game to the tune of hundreds or thousands of dollars is foolish for ordinary folks. If you’re wealthy, that’s a different story, but I’m betting we have more than a few people who hurt themselves financially for this game. If it’s your life’s dream, put in 200 bucks and have faith that enough other nerds will help.
AI combined with a small team of visionaries will probably be able to bang out a bigger space game in 20 years.



And after all MS has thrived on selling unfinished OS' for decennia and nobody complained.



Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")

A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.

TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!

        

Ahyes. I member, 6... 7 years ago... the time it surfaced. The PC crowd full of enthusiam and bravado.



Hunting Season is done...