Quantcast
This place is getting deserted, and we have to do something about it

Forums - Website Topics - This place is getting deserted, and we have to do something about it

Bristow9091 said:
BasilZero said:

~ snip

You can hide signatures here too, you can also block users albeit that feature is exclusive to supporters. There's also the ability to watch threads (Click "subscribe" at the top of a thread and it'll appear in your buddy) and there's a dark theme available to everyone and a classic blue theme available to supporters.

Seems we need to promote some of those a little better, because most of that we have covered. Also, why hasn't anyone invested in an Ad Blocker?



                                                                                                                                            

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:

You can hide signatures here too, you can also block users albeit that feature is exclusive to supporters. There's also the ability to watch threads (Click "subscribe" at the top of a thread and it'll appear in your buddy) and there's a dark theme available to everyone and a classic blue theme available to supporters.


I know - was just stating, but main thing for me is easy to access on that site compared to here - the UI here is just awful.

Also some of those features like the user blocking and having themes in a paywall is a big turn off lol

Also the dark theme is broken for me so I dont bother it.


And there is no 2FA on this site.

Also it helps that the site that I go to now actually stays on unless there's maintenance compared to VGC which disconnects every few min for you to have to reload.

CGI-Quality said:

Seems we need to promote some of those a little better, because most of that we have covered. Also, why hasn't anyone invested in an Ad Blocker?


Ad blocker for me works fine on PC for this site.


But it doesnt work at all on Safari on iPhone even though it works for everything else so I dont even bother going on mobile when on VGC - mainly on the other forum I mainly visit nowadays.

Edit: Adblock sucks now compared to how it was few years ago - so I also use uBlock

Last edited by BasilZero - on 05 May 2019

    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

The new topic labels, POLL and BET, mainly serve the purpose of highlighting those topics to generate more views of them vs the others. This leaves topics without a bet or poll to be more ignored. The bright yellow is what does it. Just make them the same text color as the title to label them yet not make a site preference toward them.



BasilZero said:
CGI-Quality said:

Seems we need to promote some of those a little better, because most of that we have covered. Also, why hasn't anyone invested in an Ad Blocker?


Ad blocker for me works fine on PC for this site.


But it doesnt work at all on Safari on iPhone even though it works for everything else so I dont even bother going on mobile when on VGC - mainly on the other forum I mainly visit nowadays.

Edit: Adblock sucks now compared to how it was few years ago - so I also use uBlock

Try Chrome on iPhone. That's what I use. Have no issues with Adblock (though I also have the Adblock app).

The biggest issue I have with mobile is scrolling. It isn't continuous (Talon is aware) and sometimes, pages don't load all the way (he's also aware of this).



                                                                                                                                            

Well, I personally dont have time to participate as much as I did anymore, so there is that.

But honestly, alot of old users moved from here to discord.Its not like they stopped discussing stuff, but they prefer to talk about things over at discord, probably because people over there share the same view, so there is less friction.As a result, people like Wright, Raven, Shadow, and many others just stopped posting here, even if they still lurk.

Other reasons for new users not comming in is the horrible ads that run rampant here.Im good because I use adblock, but without it is freaking horrible.



Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Bristow9091 said:

You can hide signatures here too, you can also block users albeit that feature is exclusive to supporters. There's also the ability to watch threads (Click "subscribe" at the top of a thread and it'll appear in your buddy) and there's a dark theme available to everyone and a classic blue theme available to supporters.

Seems we need to promote some of those a little better, because most of that we have covered. Also, why hasn't anyone invested in an Ad Blocker?

I mean... Ideally, this shouldn't be seen as a requirement for users, right? If anything it should be the opposite, ads are necessary to keep a site running. I do use AdBlock here and always have, but the place should be browsable without one.



CGI-Quality said:

Try Chrome on iPhone. That's what I use. Have no issues with Adblock (though I also have the Adblock app).

The biggest issue I have with mobile is scrolling. It isn't continuous (Talon is aware) and sometimes, pages don't load all the way (he's also aware of this).

That would explain why the page wouldnt load and scrolling is broken.

Ehh...I'll stick to browsing VGC when I'm on a PC...



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

zygote said:

The new topic labels, POLL and BET, mainly serve the purpose of highlighting those topics to generate more views of them vs the others. This leaves topics without a bet or poll to be more ignored. The bright yellow is what does it. Just make them the same text color as the title to label them yet not make a site preference toward them.

I agree with this, really not a fan of those. Maybe instead of having them in the title we could have little icons elsewhere to indicate threads with polls or bets? Say, something like... you know what, I'll just try showing instead of telling, cause I'm not sure how to explain what I'm thinking.

Say, instead of having it be like this:

Have it be something like this:

...or something. I think the labels really do create an unneeded disparity between threads.



zygote said:

The new topic labels, POLL and BET, mainly serve the purpose of highlighting those topics to generate more views of them vs the others. This leaves topics without a bet or poll to be more ignored. The bright yellow is what does it. Just make them the same text color as the title to label them yet not make a site preference toward them.

I disagree. To me, it makes no difference. I see only a different color, and it makes me no more likely to ignore other topics.

mZuzek said:
CGI-Quality said:

Seems we need to promote some of those a little better, because most of that we have covered. Also, why hasn't anyone invested in an Ad Blocker?

I mean... Ideally, this shouldn't be seen as a requirement for users, right? If anything it should be the opposite, ads are necessary to keep a site running. I do use AdBlock here and always have, but the place should be browsable without one.

Indeed. No adblock here. Although I find the site browsable when I occasionally log out and browse in the absence my supporter perks ( on pc at least ), it has been a consistently poor experience over the past few years. Among the the worst of any gaming site I've gone to. It's unfortunate the ads aren't implemented in a more user friendly manner.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 05 May 2019

Chinese food for breakfast

 

A major issue is that we no longer get linked to by games journalists, because we no longer have much of the unique sales data that journalists used to refer to.

I came here the first time through a link from a Forbes.com writer that referred to this site often. But, it's been years since he mentioned this site at all. The same is true all over the place. With the current state of sales data here, which was what made this place unique, there aren't many opportunities for our content to be picked up by other outlets. So, we get few newcomers to replace the people that leave, and the site slowly declines.

Last edited by VAMatt - on 05 May 2019