Quantcast
Are exclusives anti-consumer?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are exclusives anti-consumer?

Are exclusives Anti-Consumer?

Yes 13 13.68%
 
No 72 75.79%
 
Other 10 10.53%
 
Total:95

If it's just to spite the others then I'd feel like yes, but in some cases, the existence of 3rd party exclusive content is there because it can give prestige and a window for the game to be showcased (by example stuf like Nier: Automata, Astral Chain, Octopath Traveler). It'd be great if they were available for all platforms but this could undermine the intial impact it has on the market and thus get overshadowed more rapidly than if it were the shining beacon on a single platform.

And then, there's Bayonetta 2/3 which are financed by Nintendo, this saved the franchise from cancellation so it was obviously all good and justified.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

A gift to a special someone ...

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
If it's just to spite the others then I'd feel like yes, but in some cases, the existence of 3rd party exclusive content is there because it can give prestige and a window for the game to be showcased (by example stuf like Nier: Automata, Astral Chain, Octopath Traveler). It'd be great if they were available for all platforms but this could undermine the intial impact it has on the market and thus get overshadowed more rapidly than if it were the shining beacon on a single platform.

And then, there's Bayonetta 2/3 which are financed by Nintendo, this saved the franchise from cancellation so it was obviously all good and justified.

Actually Nier Automata was on PC basically at launch - though then again when I say "basically" I mean like 3 weeks later : D 



 

To a degree.

Not having choices sucks. But I say that it's understandable that someone doesn't want to release their games on their competition's platforms. Also, uncancelling a game from a third party developer by giving them the money needed to make it in return for platform exclusivity (like, say Bayonetta 2/3) is still better than no game at all.

Also, you can't blame a developer who only wants to release his game on a specific platforms, for whatever reasons. For instance, an indie developer who can't afford to port and test their game for multiple platforms, or a PC developer who doesn't port their game to consoles because it's making heavy use of mouse and keyboard and controllers not having enough buttons to keep up. There'it's entirely the developers choice on where they want to sell it, similar to choosing which brick&mortar store(s) you choose your craft to be sold in.



twintail said:
mZuzek said:
Yes.

/thread

Definitely one of the worst uses of /thread

Yeah, not my proudest moment.



Of course exclusives are anti-consumer. Why would anyone want to be forced into buying a product to play something?
As a share holder it makes more sense to invest into something where products are locked behind a device, this forces a sale.
As a consumer, why would you want to be stuck limited to a device or 2? Why would you want your friends/family locked out of a game unless they own a specific platform?

I think true colours will come out if the same thing was happening against the consumer who had the least popular console. Shoe on the other foot method.

Lets use an example - If the PS5 was the least selling console and Nintendo and Xbox had all the timed exclusives and exclusives, you can bet your mums dog that those PS5 owners will be complaining and not saying "Well fair is fair" nonsense. If MS paid for Street Fighter 6 to be a permanent exclusive to XB2, you can guaranteed an uproar. How many PC gamers are happy that Halo MCC is coming to Steam? How many Switch owners are happy to see Hellblade and Cuphead? These are 1st party IPs (Cuphead 1 is anyway) The industry clearly shows these signs. Its weird that gamers stick up for exclusives, I question that there gamers or something else to be perfectly honest.

I love how people only look at the good and not the bad. Games that fall short on sales expectations and are locked into 1 platform can hurt the businesses and can sometimes cause closures. Look no further than DriveClub, PS4 Exclusive that died. Could have been popular maybe on PC, Switch and Xbox, possibly those extra sales from other platforms might have saved the company and the game. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 15 April 2019

Around the Network

Of course they are. Exclusives are the worst of the worst. Except when they're on Steam or consoles. Then it's just normal business.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I want to answer with a question:
Do exclusive first party games have micro transactions?



Exclusives are anti-consumer when it ain't on your favourite platform.



XD84 said:
I want to answer with a question:
Do exclusive first party games have micro transactions?

Yeah?
Halo 5 has microtransactions on Xbox One.
Team Fortress 2 has Microtransactions on Steam.
Battlefront 2 has Microtransactions on Origin.
Uncharted has Microtransactions on Playstation.

I could go on.



Pemalite said:
XD84 said:
I want to answer with a question:
Do exclusive first party games have micro transactions?

Yeah?
Halo 5 has microtransactions on Xbox One.
Team Fortress 2 has Microtransactions on Steam.
Battlefront 2 has Microtransactions on Origin.
Uncharted has Microtransactions on Playstation.

I could go on.

Thank you for your respond. I could not remember of any of them that is why I asked.