Quantcast
Best looking video game of the 20th century

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best looking video game of the 20th century

Conina said:

I agree, Unreal Tournament 1999 was awesome:

Heavy Metal FAKK 2 (based on Quake 3 engine) wasn't bad either:

And yes, these 1600x1200 were possible in 30 fps with 1999 PC hardware, even without SLI... also 60 fps in 1024x768 or 1280x720:

Should also mention the Rage Fury Maxx was a Dual-GPU card.

*************

Outcast on PC (1999) had Ray Casting (A form of Ray Tracing), Reflections, Open-world. Was a very ground breaking game at the time on the visuals front.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_casting

**************

Homeworld 1 (1999) on PC gets a notable mention too... Considering it was released when 3D was just gaining traction in the RTS space, it's held up stupidly well even today... I would even argue that no console at the time can match it visually.








Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Conina said:

And yes, these 1600x1200 were possible in 30 fps with 1999 PC hardware, even without SLI... also 60 fps in 1024x768 or 1280x720:

Should also mention the Rage Fury Maxx was a Dual-GPU card.

But the Geforce was a Single-GPU card.



Pemalite said:


Outcast on PC (1999) had Ray Casting (A form of Ray Tracing), Reflections, Open-world. Was a very ground breaking game at the time on the visuals front.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_casting

**************

Homeworld 1 (1999) on PC gets a notable mention too... Considering it was released when 3D was just gaining traction in the RTS space, it's held up stupidly well even today... I would even argue that no console at the time can match it visually.






Homeworld was great. Outcast not so much though. Perhaps on today's hardware it looks all right yet when I played it at the time draw distance was very poor and it was quite ugly up close. I much preferred the use of voxels in Comanche maximum overkill





Chrono Trigger


Final Fantasy 9



Metal Gear Solid


Soul Calibur


I don't remember Ivy being in the first Soul Calibur btw, but it seems she was.



Unreal or Soul Calibur...it is kinda of unfair to some N64 titles, as the DC was released in 1999 and was considerably more powerful. But yeah Unreal I think is a bit more impressive, but for consoles Soul Calibur.



Around the Network
Hiku said:

Final Fantasy 9

Release in Feb 2001 in EU, so not allowed. :P

My entry.

Omega Boost 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G7d6jwSOTA

Last edited by The Fury - on 09 April 2019

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Hiku said:

Final Fantasy 9

Release in July 2000, not allowed. :)

Um... so, how do I put it...



The Fury said:
Hiku said:

Final Fantasy 9

Release in July 2000, not allowed. :)

The 20th (twentiethcentury was a century that began on January 1, 1901[1] and ended on December 31, 2000.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_century

;)

Although if Curl insists on not allowing the last year of the century, I'll edit it out.

Last edited by Hiku - on 09 April 2019

Picky so and sos....

Fine have your logic.

EDIT: There, fixed it. Game came out in 2001 for me.

Last edited by The Fury - on 09 April 2019

Hmm, pie.

For 3D games, probably Soul Calibur. Not only was it probably the best-looking early Gen 6 title, but Gen 5 3D titles in general looked terrible so they all get disqualified by default (though the ones like Super Mario 64 that went for really cartoon-y aesthetics fared better).

For 2D games, I want to say Street Fighter III. Those sprite animations were so detailed and fluid:

In fact, SF3 makes me wish more developers would have kept making 2D sprite-based games into Gen 5 and beyond. Instead, 2D was largely abandoned in favor of 3D, with a few companies like Capcom making the occasional 2D game.