Quantcast
Locked: Have you ever faced unemployment or long term unemployment before?

Forums - General Discussion - Have you ever faced unemployment or long term unemployment before?

DonFerrari said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

They were training to become higher education teachers (Everybody learns French and German to the point of fluency in Luxembourg). But I agree that job openings there are rarer than the offer of people with these degrees.

I can remember joking with some gallows humor that companies were looking for 20-year-olds with 30 years of work experience.

Seriously though, sometimes that seems the only possible way to some of the job postings. They don't want older persons, but want heaps of experience only oder persons can provide. Sometimes I wonder how those companies even can find anybody to hire.

Understood. But if most people are fluent in both languages in Luxemborg it seems a little "pointless" to get a master on it as it seems not like so many people would be interested in paying for special classes on these subjects.

You need those degrees for the job. Without them, you can't become teacher for the respective languages. It's a governmental requirement.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 26 March 2019

Around the Network

The employment system is designed that only those who are normal and are of sound body and mind are deemed worthy of employment.
I have always been unworthy of employment and I never got a single job interview after completing my accounting degree 10 years ago. 

I would still be doing a low paid store clerk role if I stuck it out and did not quit to do an accounting degree on welfare.
I took huge gamble many years ago and I ended up unemployable. The manager even said to me you are unlikely to ever find work again. He was right and that was 10+ years ago.
One mistake has ruined my life. Never leave a job without a back up job or no prospects of finding future employment.

Therapy failed me after 4 years of doing it between 2010 to 2014. I could never get a single job back then not even unskilled job in retail/store clerk. Those words that manager said still haunt me and cut to my soul. I am unemployable, unworthy of employment.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 - on 27 March 2019

How about trying outside of the UK? Maybe there you may have better chances on the job markets?



It costs a lot of money to travel and start again, I live off welfare and charity.
It is not simply just move to another country there are so many costs involved in moving from one location to the next.
People that do not know what they are talking about will make claims like just move somewhere else.
I do not know anyone in other countries and I would just end up a homeless beggar on the street.



Dark_Lord_2008 said:
It costs a lot of money to travel and start again, I live off welfare and charity.
It is not simply just move to another country there are so many costs involved in moving from one location to the next.
People that do not know what they are talking about will make claims like just move somewhere else.
I do not know anyone in other countries and I would just end up a homeless beggar on the street.

I was hoping maybe you'd knew somebody outside of the UK where you could bunk until you'd find a job. But without that option I agree moving abroad isn't a possibility for you.



Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
DonFerrari said:

Understood. But if most people are fluent in both languages in Luxemborg it seems a little "pointless" to get a master on it as it seems not like so many people would be interested in paying for special classes on these subjects.

You need those degrees for the job. Without them, you can't become teacher for the respective languages. It's a governmental requirement.

I understood before hand that you need that qualification to teach those languages. What I said is that since the country naturally have a good knowledge of those languages, with most of the population being proficient then probably there isn't many job openings on it.

But that is the thing on doing what you like, but market not needing it at the moment. They will end up finding that job if they keep looking while doing other stuff (and certainly can apply overboard).

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

The employment system is designed that only those who are normal and are of sound body and mind are deemed worthy of employment.
I have always been unworthy of employment and I never got a single job interview after completing my accounting degree 10 years ago. 

I would still be doing a low paid store clerk role if I stuck it out and did not quit to do an accounting degree on welfare.
I took huge gamble many years ago and I ended up unemployable. The manager even said to me you are unlikely to ever find work again. He was right and that was 10+ years ago.
One mistake has ruined my life. Never leave a job without a back up job or no prospects of finding future employment.

Therapy failed me after 4 years of doing it between 2010 to 2014. I could never get a single job back then not even unskilled job in retail/store clerk. Those words that manager said still haunt me and cut to my soul. I am unemployable, unworthy of employment.

Would you hire someone that isn't of sound mind to work for you? Companies take a lot of liabilities for their employee, so hardly they would hire someone that could put then on a dire situation. Unless you are talking about small quirks and deviations.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Immersiveunreality said:
RaptorChrist said:
I thought you had to be working in order to get welfare? Or disabled, maybe? Maybe the OP is getting by with just enough money with what little he gains from being unemployed that his desire to seek work is below the threshold to which he will actually go and pursue a job.

Unless it was a typo, 1000 consecutive, failed, job applications is so far beyond the stretch of my imagination that it's hard to find credibility in any excuses that might be made.

First bolded: He gets welfare because of his mental condition.

Second bolded: Indeed that his some highly denial on his part and if he keeps being in that state it will be hard to see that others want to help him or the valuable information from those and to help himself.

If he's got a mental condition, whatever that is, that might explain why he can't get a job. Any condition, illness or disability makes everything a lot worse.



My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?


https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/6zegxx/advice_for_a_21_year_old_graduating_with_a/
Similar story to mine and similar average score of 63% for course and 1 failed unit and I also live in Australia. I could not gain any relevant work experience due to hot competition but I did not apply for graduate positions because I knew my grades were not good enough. I gave up looking for work in accounting within 3 months and tried to do a Drafting course that I quit within 2 months. Seeing it was going to be 3 or 4 more years of study and minimal chance of securing job I quit the Drafting Course. I was also too old to take on a trade apprenticeship, because over 21 years of age adult wages must be paid instead of the lower junior rates. I have never held a drivers license either, I failed it a couple of times and I just gave up because driving for me was too difficult and triggered my anxiety. 



The OP sounds like an American. If so, there is simply no truth to the idea that one cannot find work. It may require relocating, taking a job thats not exactly what he wants, or other sacrifice. But, in much of the US, you can drive five minutes without running into ten companies looking to hire. They may not be dream jobs. But, how many people have had to take jobs they didn't like at some point? I'm guessing its close to 100%.

And, yes, relocating is not ideal. But, tough shit. Sometimes, you have to do things that are not ideal.

When it comes to depression and the problems that brings.... well, that one is tougher. It often takes professional help to overcome, and the paradox of depression means that one has trouble getting themselves to avail themselves of that professional help. It can lead to a downward spiral. Still though, ultimately, the sufferer *must* muster the strength to get the needed help. It simply cannot be done by others.

In other cases, the depression can be solved simply by standing up, looking in the mirror, and handling your business. In this case, get yourself out of the house, get a fucking job doing anything, get some exercise, and start the ball rolling in the right direction. It spirals that way too, for many people.



Dark_Lord_2008 said:

I have applied for thousands of jobs online and no responses/replies. i feel so hopeless not getting any responses and no feedback.

As a person that hires people for my own business, I can tell you the problem here - "I have applied....online".  I know that's standard practice in many businesses.  But, it is *always* possible to show up at the office, the store, the warehouse, or wherever and show that you really want the job.  If you show up, or even just work the phone until you reach the person that does the hiring, you're like one hundred times more likely to get an interview.

Applying online for thousands of jobs shows me that you're half-assing it.  You can't possibly put in the work needed to actually get hired for more than a handful of jobs each week.  And, if you do that for a few weeks, you'll have a job.