Quantcast
Will Mario Maker 2 become a 10+ million seller?

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Mario Maker 2 become a 10+ million seller?

Tagged games:

I predict it will sell...

Less than 10 million 22 20.56%
 
Over 10 million 85 79.44%
 
Total:107
curl-6 said:
peachbuggy said:

I just think it's a good comparison. Both are direct sequels and both sold originally in the same ballpark, going by the numbers posted here.

Smash 5 is also a direct sequel and Smash 4 sold similarly to Splatoon 1.

For that matter, Mario Party, another Mario spinoff, has already doubled its Wii U sales on Switch and it's only been out for 5 months.

Good point. i guess we should treat all new game iterations from Wii u to Switch on a case-by-case scenario. For the record, i wasn't saying i didn't think MM2 couldn't reach 10m. I just thought it was quite a big ask for it. I originally voted yes but i'm not really sure either way.



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

I think it is possible, but I am with the crew that says a “professional” Super Mario Bros would sell much more and that 10 million is a big stretch for Maker. Check the 3DS sales - I know Switch is more of a software monster, but 3DS and Wii U Mario Maker sales are just about dead even, not the same for Super Mario Bros. or Mario Kart.

I will add that Nintendo needs to revamp the formula if and when they do a Super Mario Bros. 9. New sMB is stale and smelly like month old bread. New graphics, new soundtrack, new story, new worlds, new level design, new enemies, new power ups. Like we used to get with every Mario game. Like Super Mario 3D games usually get.



It could reach 10 million, but a real 2d Mario adventure would reach 30 million.

Nintendo, give us a real 2d Mario adventure Nintendo.



I still say that if Mario Maker had been a launch game for the WiiU, the console would have sold close to Gamecube numbers. Alas, we will never know.

Anyway, to answer the question, absolutely 10m+.




This seems like a silly question, no offense. Of course a 2d Mario game releasing on a platform that will already be around the 40m mark install base will hit 10m lt. 20m should be the real question.



Around the Network
couchmonkey said:
I think it is possible, but I am with the crew that says a “professional” Super Mario Bros would sell much more and that 10 million is a big stretch for Maker. Check the 3DS sales - I know Switch is more of a software monster, but 3DS and Wii U Mario Maker sales are just about dead even, not the same for Super Mario Bros. or Mario Kart.

I will add that Nintendo needs to revamp the formula if and when they do a Super Mario Bros. 9. New sMB is stale and smelly like month old bread. New graphics, new soundtrack, new story, new worlds, new level design, new enemies, new power ups. Like we used to get with every Mario game. Like Super Mario 3D games usually get.

 

Valdney said:
It could reach 10 million, but a real 2d Mario adventure would reach 30 million.

Nintendo, give us a real 2d Mario adventure Nintendo.

Agreed, NSMB is unbelievably tired and stale at this point, they need to shelve it for good and make a proper 2D Mario with actual effort put into it, that'd top 20 million with ease.

HyrulianScrolls said:
This seems like a silly question, no offense. Of course a 2d Mario game releasing on a platform that will already be around the 40m mark install base will hit 10m lt. 20m should be the real question.

There are multiple posters in this thread who say it won't make it, as well as (at the time of this posting) over 20% of voters.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 March 2019

The issue in this comes with when the games launched. The Wii U was never a success so the fact it sold 4 million with about 14 million sold means logically the sequel should do more with about triple the LT Wii U install base by the time MM2 comes out. On top of that the 3DS arguments make no sense to me. It was a watered down port with features excluded on an inferior handheld that while still sold pretty well, came out near the tail end of the system's lifespan.

Given the success of the Switch and the overall craziness that comes with Switch owners buying games, 10 million to me is a 90% guarantee. The only way it won't is if it gets overshadowed by another Switch game within a month, and given the next major release from Nintendo is likely Fire Emblem in July, I think it's safe to say that this game will easily hit the 10 million mark.