Quantcast
Rumor: MS to release Xbox Gamepass and Published titles on Switch

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: MS to release Xbox Gamepass and Published titles on Switch

Rumor: Microsoft Bringing Game Pass And Published Titles To Switch

by IMRAN KHAN on Feb 21, 2019 at 04:30 PM

According to a report from outlet Direct Feed Games, an outlet that has a strong track record for rumors especially centering around Nintendo, Microsoft and Nintendo are about to get together in a big way in the near future. Not only will some Microsoft games find their way to the Switch, but it looks like the entire Game Pass library might arrive via the magic of streaming. 

The report states that Microsoft is looking into publishing some of their own catalog to the Switch in the form of actual ports. This is in no way strange for Microsoft, who has dabbled in things like lending out Rare for games on Nintendo systems and developing and publishing games on Nintendo consoles such as Minecraft. Microsoft-owned developers like Ninja Theory and Obsidian are still self-publishing their games on the Switch and other systems, as well.

The game specifically mentioned by Direct Feed is Ori and the Blind Forest, a crown jewel in Microsoft's lower key publishing initiatives.

Additionally, the report goes on to say that Microsoft will be leveraging their announced Project xCloud streaming service to bring Xbox One games to the Switch. While the Switch can't natively play, as a hypothetical example Gears 5, it could stream it over the internet. This will be done through Game Pass, which allows players to subscribe to a service to access a Netflix-style library of games.

In talking with our own sources, it has been suggested that the announcement of Game Pass on Switch could come as soon as this year.

This isn't surprising, as Microsoft has been eager to expand Game Pass out as far as they can, announcing plans to revamp it for PC. Project xCloud is a means to an end to get people who don't own Xbox products to spend money on Xbox services, making the Switch a perfect vector for it. For Nintendo, it means games that are unfeasible on the console due to hardware limitations can come to the Switch in some form and provides an added value for them.

This particular avenue is also not new to Nintendo, which has been experimenting with using cloud streaming as a way to play technologically demanding games for a few months now in Japan. Games like Resident Evil 7 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey have Switch ports in Japan, streaming a special version from a local server. Game Pass on the Switch would be no different.

We speculated on the possibilities of what a Microsoft and Nintendo friendship could mean in a recent opinion piece which you can read right here.

Game Pass aside, what games would you want Microsoft to publish on the Switch? Would you want them to reach back into their catalog for games like Conker? Maybe something more modern like Cuphead or Ori's sequel? Or could the two finally come to an agreement on a Goldeneye remaster? Let us know below in the comments.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/02/21/rumor-microsoft-bringing-game-pass-and-published-titles-to-switch



Around the Network

This may be the craziest Nintendo rumor in months. Just because Microsoft let Minecraft Switch use Banjo-Kazooie assets, doesn't mean we're gonna get Game Pass and Microsoft published games on Switch.



Some days I just blow up.

So, to summarize the details:

-Microsoft would potentially release Game Pass on Switch through their upcoming xCloud streaming service.
-Microsoft might publish some of their first party titles that make sense like Ori and the Blind Forest on Switch via ports.
-Announcement could come as soon as this year
-No details yet on rather Nintendo might return the favor by releasing some of their games on Xbox, though considering other recent rumors of a big Microsoft-Nintendo partnership next-gen, it is a possibility. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 21 February 2019

What they're doing is very smart and forward thinking. By not relying on their own merits to sell hardware with small profit margins to sell software to, they can take advantage of large install bases, pocket insane profits, and they shouldn't lose their own sizable fan base. What happens in the next decade or so is going to be very interesting to say the least for the gaming industry.

Maybe the NX meant something afterall huh Iwata... jk it probably just meant Nintendo cross but it's nice to dream.



We'll see if its true, but it would be quite the game changer if so. That said there's been some hinting at this for a while.



Around the Network

The report specifically mentions Ori and the Blind Forest as a possibility for direct porting to Switch. Some other possibilities that might make sense for Switch imo:

-Rare Replay
-Battletoads
-Super Lucky's Tale (already rumored for Switch by another source)
-ReCore (developed by former Metroid Prime devs)
-Cuphead



Masterchief for Super Smash DLC pack 5 confirmed?

In all seriousness, I will totally (as a Switch owner) buy a bunch of MS IP if released on Switch. They can have my money if I can play Banjo Tooie on THE GO!



shikamaru317 said:
The report specifically mentions Ori and the Blind Forest as a possibility for direct porting to Switch. Some other possibilities that might make sense for Switch imo:

-Rare Replay
-Battletoads
-Super Lucky's Tale (already rumored for Switch by another source)
-ReCore (developed by former Metroid Prime devs)

If they're gonna allow Halo through the streaming app anyway ... actual release of Master Chief Collection would make some sense. 



shikamaru317 said:

So, to summarize the details:

-Microsoft would potentially release Game Pass on Switch through their upcoming xCloud streaming service.
-Microsoft might publish some of their first party titles that make sense like Ori and the Blind Forest on Switch via ports.
-Announcement could come as soon as this year
-No details yet on rather Nintendo might return the favor by releasing some of their games on Xbox, though considering other recent rumors of a big Microsoft-Nintendo partnership next-gen, it is a possibility. 

I really don't want Nintendo releasing their games on Xbox. Microsoft already turned Banjo-Kazooie into an empty vehicle building game, who's to say they won't turn Mario into the next Gears of War?



Some days I just blow up.

Soundwave said:
shikamaru317 said:
The report specifically mentions Ori and the Blind Forest as a possibility for direct porting to Switch. Some other possibilities that might make sense for Switch imo:

-Rare Replay
-Battletoads
-Super Lucky's Tale (already rumored for Switch by another source)
-ReCore (developed by former Metroid Prime devs)

If they're gonna allow Halo through the streaming app anyway ... actual release of Master Chief Collection would make some sense. 

Could work, but they'd probably have to remove Halo 2 Anniversary from the collection, no way that runs on Switch without a ton of work. Halo 1, Halo 1 Anniversary, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST, and Halo 4 should all work on Switch though without too much work since they are all 360 games.