Quantcast
Crackdown 3 Review Thread - MC: 60 OC: 62

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Crackdown 3 Review Thread - MC: 60 OC: 62

Tagged games:

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
GoOnKid said:

The point is that critics and reviews can never dictate how much I will enjoy a game. I couldn't care less about scores. I finished Devil's Third MULTIPLE times ffs.

Yes, there are similar games with higher scores, who denied that? But still a score of 60 will never be able to make me enjoy a game for just 60%.

In my opinion gamers shouldn't rely their purchase decisions based on scores alone anyway. In these times there are plenty of opportunities to make up your own mind about liking a game or not, and if someone looks for a game like this then just go on and give it a go.

What do you mean with that last paragraph? Is this a jab?

And I APPRECIATE that point, I make it all the time and I 100% agree with it. People take critics scores way too seriously as some kind of objective judgement of what they should think. But the way you wrote your comment just seems kind of disingenuous, to be honest.

"I think this game delivers what it wants to deliver: it's just mindless unserious fun where you shoot stuff and things go boom. Not more, not less. If someone wants a deeper game that's fine, there are a lot of alternatives. Not every game must be cookie cut to please everyone."

This whole quote reads to me like a way of laying responsibility off the game. Tons of games have come out that were just mindless unserious fun and a lot of them were received much better than Crackdown. The game may "deliver" mindless unserious fun, but tons of games have delivered that better (in the opinion of critics). And that's why it's getting the scores it's getting, because even if the basic concept was achieved the baggage that surrounds the game isn't good. And I think if you asked the developers, their goal for the title wasn't to make a very basic realization of a concept which has been done before. It was to make a great product out of that, and to the critics and a lot of people that doesn't seem to be the final result. Then there's the last part where you imply that "someone" is looking for a deeper game. Critics aren't giving this game low scores because they don't fundamentally understand Crackdown, or because they expected it to be a super complex title for some reason. They just don't think it's that great of a game. A lot of fans don't even seem to like this game anyways, so again, the whole "it's not for everyone" thing doesn't really apply. If it isn't for fans or connoisseurs of the genre, who is it for? Granted, a lot of people like it as well, but that's the point. It's just a mixed result of a game, it's not a misunderstood one.

Also nah, not a jab at you, lol. That's why I didn't reply to you specifically and was replying to the thread in general. I've never seen you make a comment about troll reviews. It It IS a problem I see on this site a lot, though.

Mr Puggsly said:

Try watching the Digital Foundry video about this game.

That way you can see what a person that enjoys it thinks, then compare that to the critics that seem to hate every aspect of this game.

I don't think the game is bad myself, I haven't played it. I sure will check out Digital Foundry's video though, I was going to watch their video anyways since one of the Digital Foundry guys said the graphics were impressive. Thanks for letting me know! Didn't know it was out yet.

Okay I can admit that I could have made my point clearer, that's true. I just came into this thread to pat the back of Xbox fans. I think nobody who has ever been interested in this game should be discouraged because it reviewed below average, that was my single intention.



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Around the Network

 

DonFerrari said:

If no game on PS4 is better than Sea of Thieves for you then certainly PS4 isn't for you. I'll consider you similar to ludicrous. Taste is reversed compared to general gamers and reviewers.

No, without a doubt objectively speaking games like God of War are "better" games than Sea of Thieves and rightfully get better reviews. But I'd rather play Sea of Thieves as it has been one of the most unique and fun gaming experiences. 

I wouldn't say my taste is reversed though, I like plenty of high rated games. Just not all of them. And sometimes absolutely love lower rated games like Quantum Break. I certainly prefer to find stuff that suits my taste rather than being a mr general opinion and this applies to music, movies and literature too.



GoOnKid said:

Okay I can admit that I could have made my point clearer, that's true. I just came into this thread to pat the back of Xbox fans. I think nobody who has ever been interested in this game should be discouraged because it reviewed below average, that was my single intention.

Hey man, that's fine ! I 100% agree with that, too! Critics reviews shouldn't be thrown aside, but they aren't the be-all-end-all. If someone is interested in this game, they should absolutely try it. And luckily with Gamepass that's easier now than ever. A lot of people will basically be getting this for free, I imagine. 



Wow even rand al Thor which is a known Xbox fan that have over 1m gamerscore gave this game a 6.5 out of 10. The game is definitely not hitting well with some Xbox fans.



GoOnKid said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

And I APPRECIATE that point, I make it all the time and I 100% agree with it. People take critics scores way too seriously as some kind of objective judgement of what they should think. But the way you wrote your comment just seems kind of disingenuous, to be honest.

"I think this game delivers what it wants to deliver: it's just mindless unserious fun where you shoot stuff and things go boom. Not more, not less. If someone wants a deeper game that's fine, there are a lot of alternatives. Not every game must be cookie cut to please everyone."

This whole quote reads to me like a way of laying responsibility off the game. Tons of games have come out that were just mindless unserious fun and a lot of them were received much better than Crackdown. The game may "deliver" mindless unserious fun, but tons of games have delivered that better (in the opinion of critics). And that's why it's getting the scores it's getting, because even if the basic concept was achieved the baggage that surrounds the game isn't good. And I think if you asked the developers, their goal for the title wasn't to make a very basic realization of a concept which has been done before. It was to make a great product out of that, and to the critics and a lot of people that doesn't seem to be the final result. Then there's the last part where you imply that "someone" is looking for a deeper game. Critics aren't giving this game low scores because they don't fundamentally understand Crackdown, or because they expected it to be a super complex title for some reason. They just don't think it's that great of a game. A lot of fans don't even seem to like this game anyways, so again, the whole "it's not for everyone" thing doesn't really apply. If it isn't for fans or connoisseurs of the genre, who is it for? Granted, a lot of people like it as well, but that's the point. It's just a mixed result of a game, it's not a misunderstood one.

Also nah, not a jab at you, lol. That's why I didn't reply to you specifically and was replying to the thread in general. I've never seen you make a comment about troll reviews. It It IS a problem I see on this site a lot, though.

I don't think the game is bad myself, I haven't played it. I sure will check out Digital Foundry's video though, I was going to watch their video anyways since one of the Digital Foundry guys said the graphics were impressive. Thanks for letting me know! Didn't know it was out yet.

Okay I can admit that I could have made my point clearer, that's true. I just came into this thread to pat the back of Xbox fans. I think nobody who has ever been interested in this game should be discouraged because it reviewed below average, that was my single intention.

That is a totally fine point. As one reviewer who gave 90 (and I don't think it was unfairly high of him) pointed out. Something  "If you liked Crackdown you'll like Crackdown 3". And yes a bad score shouldn't prevent you from trying a game, even more if you know what it is about and that is the type of thing you like.

KiigelHeart said: 
DonFerrari said:

If no game on PS4 is better than Sea of Thieves for you then certainly PS4 isn't for you. I'll consider you similar to ludicrous. Taste is reversed compared to general gamers and reviewers.

No, without a doubt objectively speaking games like God of War are "better" games than Sea of Thieves and rightfully get better reviews. But I'd rather play Sea of Thieves as it has been one of the most unique and fun gaming experiences. 

I wouldn't say my taste is reversed though, I like plenty of high rated games. Just not all of them. And sometimes absolutely love lower rated games like Quantum Break. I certainly prefer to find stuff that suits my taste rather than being a mr general opinion and this applies to music, movies and literature too.

No problem. I wasn't being sarcastic. You not liking what others/critics like, and liking what others don't is totally fine. You weren't saying GoW is worse than SoT, is that for you it's better, even if because you have more fun.

Understood the second paragraph as well. Yes you shouldn't like/dislike something just because of the score or others liking as well. I love things that most don't like, and also like some they like.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Try watching the Digital Foundry video about this game.

That way you can see what a person that enjoys it thinks, then compare that to the critics that seem to hate every aspect of this game.

So basically your telling him to watch a video that confirms your bias...nice. 

I'm suggesting some of the reviews, like IGN's, is not even constructive criticism, barely a review, it sounds more like a guy sick of video games.

The guy at DF isn't saying its an amazing game or anything like that, I think he just has the perspective of those of us that are actually enjoying it. Its a fun action game and there isn't anything particularly wrong with it, its actually more polished than I anticipated given the development trouble.

Again, if you want to see why people actually enjoy this game try watching that video.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
oniyide said:

So basically your telling him to watch a video that confirms your bias...nice. 

I'm suggesting some of the reviews, like IGN's, is not even constructive criticism, barely a review, it sounds more like a guy sick of video games.

The guy at DF isn't saying its an amazing game or anything like that, I think he just has the perspective of those of us that are actually enjoying it. Its a fun action game and there isn't anything particularly wrong with it, its actually more polished than I anticipated given the development trouble.

Again, if you want to see why people actually enjoy this game try watching that video.

He has a perspective you agree with. Which is fine, but let's call it what it is. And IGN has been meh with reviews in general. 



Well I must say, I played the game last night... its umm.. actually not as bad as many make it out to be. Its actually quite addictive and fun in a old school way. Its not amazing or great but its definitely not bad. The MP mode I struggled to get a good connection due to my poor internet and the cloud physics really push it to its limits. I do enjoy the physics in the MP mode and hoping its the building blocks for future games as devs get better at using the Cloud. Game probably sits around a 7/10 for me. I would easily recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the original games. Its actually refreshing to play a game that's not trying to be like every other game. Also the visuals on a 4k TV look pretty good, all the hate saying this game looks like trash, its one of those games you need to actually see for yourself.

For those who want a honest look and opinion on the game than I recommend watching DF analysis which I linked below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lks6E81EWE&t=8s

Terry Crew's acting alone in the game is worth a check out. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 15 February 2019

pokoko said:

On the topic of Microsoft cancelling this game because they knew it was going to be sub-par, I would imagine they considered it but there was just no way that was going to happen.  Not only would it have been more bad press over another cancelled game, they'd already made SUCH a big deal over this game in particular.  They'd pinned their entire "Power of the Cloud" gambit on this title.  Cutting the cord would have meant a ton of explaining.  Besides, they still need games for their service, even if they're not very good.  

Also, this "the critics just don't get it" theme a few people are running with seems kind of silly.  I'm sure the critics get it, they're just not particularly crazy about it.  Personally, after watching gameplay video, this looks like the kind of game I'd get bored with in under an hour.  It's like the superpowers game-play of Saints Row 4 but without all the other awesome stuff that made that game a blast to play.  If a game like that is a Happy Meal then a game like this would simply be an order of fires and a cup of water--for the same price.  

I can imagine why someone might like this game.  However, I can very easily see why more people would find it boring or underwhelming.  When a game simply gives you the same thing, over and over, with no real personality or substance beyond more of the exact same "mindless fun", I think a low score is justified.  Honestly, if someone gave it to me for free on PC, I probably wouldn't even download it.  

Well MS can't just focus on what the critics enjoy per se. I mean Sea of Thieves has apparently become a big hit in spite of the critics.

I question if MS anticipated Crackdown 3 would get reviews this bad, because I genuinely feel it delivers what Crackdown fans wanted. Perhaps that's why MS gave out Crackdown 1 multiple times, just to tell people they're doing more of that for the most part.

I mean I understand why games like Recore or Lucky's Tale didn't review well. Although, when a game Lucky's Tale reviews better than Crackdown 3, well I begin to feel reviews just don't matter for this game.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

oniyide said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm suggesting some of the reviews, like IGN's, is not even constructive criticism, barely a review, it sounds more like a guy sick of video games.

The guy at DF isn't saying its an amazing game or anything like that, I think he just has the perspective of those of us that are actually enjoying it. Its a fun action game and there isn't anything particularly wrong with it, its actually more polished than I anticipated given the development trouble.

Again, if you want to see why people actually enjoy this game try watching that video.

He has a perspective you agree with. Which is fine, but let's call it what it is. And IGN has been meh with reviews in general. 

I'm saying if people are willing to take the low scoring reviews as an indication this game shouldn't exist, "it should have been cancelled." I am suggesting try watching the DF video not solely because I agree with it, but its not the disaster some are perceiving.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)