Quantcast
RUMOR : Nintendo Direct for the Feb. 13th

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR : Nintendo Direct for the Feb. 13th

Jumpin said:
Miyamotoo said:

You said late March, gaving release dates less than 2 months before launch for Nintendo new games is not realistic to expect, they need to start talk about their Spring-Summer games soon in any case.

Why is it not? Why do they need to talk about things so far in advance? The earliest they need to begin marketing a game is the moment of launch. If they begin talking about it too early, than they run into the same situations that has plagued them virtually ever since the N64 where the prospect of future first-party games cannibalizes their current release/sales/featured schedule.

They recently released Smash Bros and Let's Go Pokemon, and still Mario Kart bringing in new hardware sales, along with Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. They just sold around 10 million new consoles in the past few months, increasing their userbase by 40%+. They are hardly hurting for a new killer app or system seller to be marketed at this time. Their best business move is to sell content currently featured, currently releasing, or currently on sale; not have people holding off for games 6-24 months down the road.

Gaving dates 2-3 months in advance and start marketing those games is not so far in advance, and they always start promoting their Switch games and gave release dates in worst 2-3 months before launch.

I also think that reason why we didnt had January Direct is because they wanted to gave Smash Bros and NSMBU DX more room, but soon they will need to start giving dates and start marketing post Yoshi games, they need to tell soon what games will be out in around 2-3 months (April-May). No one talking about 6-24 months, I actually talking about next 1-5 months (around July releases) focus with next Direct.



Around the Network

The shelf space of Nintendo products is pretty poor in the U.K. too, yet it is improving. It's either because things are improving for Switch over here, or Nintendo reps are paying the required "backhanders" to the corrupt store managers.



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

I find it astonishing the amount of hysterical gloom and doom flying around. Personally I've never had so much choice on a Nintendo system. As someone else pointed out, the Switch userbase grew by 40% over the last 2 or 3 months, Nintendo have had their best holiday quarter since the Wii/DS era, one of their best ever software launches in Smash, and four consecutive months where they've launched commercially big exclusives - three of them games built grounds up for Switch. Yes, we get it - not everything fits your personal taste. And that's fine, but that doesn't mean Switch is massively troubled or doomed or terrible.

It seems that this Direct may actually be real. It's not surprising - Nintendo will want to flesh out the March through May window at the very least and might even date some games for June and July. Mid February is a good time to sketch out the next 3 to 5 months, even if more announcements come in late April, for example. I'd expect one reveal for something coming later in the year, too - possibly the 2D Zelda title as their 'one more thing' ending.



Asriel said:
I find it astonishing the amount of hysterical gloom and doom flying around. Personally I've never had so much choice on a Nintendo system. As someone else pointed out, the Switch userbase grew by 40% over the last 2 or 3 months, Nintendo have had their best holiday quarter since the Wii/DS era, one of their best ever software launches in Smash, and four consecutive months where they've launched commercially big exclusives - three of them games built grounds up for Switch. Yes, we get it - not everything fits your personal taste. And that's fine, but that doesn't mean Switch is massively troubled or doomed or terrible.

It seems that this Direct may actually be real. It's not surprising - Nintendo will want to flesh out the March through May window at the very least and might even date some games for June and July. Mid February is a good time to sketch out the next 3 to 5 months, even if more announcements come in late April, for example. I'd expect one reveal for something coming later in the year, too - possibly the 2D Zelda title as their 'one more thing' ending.

Agreed. The last few pages in this thread have become trolled over talking about the PS4, I have no idea why. If they announce 2d zelda I will flip. Link Between World's was a glorious ode to the past and I want more! 

Also, I know it is likelier they port Color Splash or won't have one at all, but I would explode if they announced a new PM game with the gameplay mechanics from the first two games.

Either way, as long as AC is shown, it's a winner in my book.



Surely it's time for a Pokémon Gen 8 reveal, right?



Around the Network
peachbuggy said:
The shelf space of Nintendo products is pretty poor in the U.K. too, yet it is improving. It's either because things are improving for Switch over here, or Nintendo reps are paying the required "backhanders" to the corrupt store managers.

Talking about UK, we last week (or previous one) had report that Switch for first time sold more physical games in UK than XB1, and that's a quiet achievement because XB1 has bigger install base more games than Switch.



Miyamotoo said:
peachbuggy said:
The shelf space of Nintendo products is pretty poor in the U.K. too, yet it is improving. It's either because things are improving for Switch over here, or Nintendo reps are paying the required "backhanders" to the corrupt store managers.

Talking about UK, we last week (or previous one) had report that Switch for first time sold more physical games in UK than XB1, and that's a quiet achievement because XB1 has bigger install base more games than Switch.

Yes it is quite close between the 3 of them over here but atm Nintendo is competing with much less shelf space. I suspect if this is to change it will be just as much about success as it is about corruption. Even in the Wii heydays the PS360 both had larger shelf space. 



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Cobretti2 said:
Wyrdness said:

You just spewed a load of waffle that said nothing to try and sound like you're right stores decide themselves what to stock not companies, people mainly buy digital or from online stores like Amazon as it's far more convenient hence why so many retailers are taking big losses on games sales an example being Gamestop who had a disastrous loss last quarter which is why your shelf space argument has little bearing on a platform's library other than who is still going to the said store and that dictates what the store decides to stock up on.

With my work I end up going to many stores, it is the same story.

Irrespective of what is happening online, under your logic if more and more people are buying digital or on amazon, surely all platform sections would shrink accordingly in terms of shelf space.  The shelf space arrangements I mentioned have been around like that long before online shopping was a thing in Australia.  If these haven't changed clearly it just shows that PS4 has more games that are worth putting on shelf or Nintendo don't want to pay for shelf space.

 

OK lets roll with your online idea, i checked online for one of the major retailers here in Aus.

Ps4 has 90 announced games coming in 2019, with 50 confirmed release dates

Switch has 40 announced games coming in 2019, with 15 confirmed release dates.

Surely you can see why the Switch looks like its in a dry spell to a gamer that has other tastes then just Nintendo games?

Hell I ain't even worried about 2019 too much its the fact we are not seeing any 3rd parties really saying they gonna go full swing into switch development either which is concerning.

Shelf space is shrinking for all platforms especially here in the UK (to the point many retailers of games have shut down even HMV the once flagship retailer of games and music is in financial trouble as a result and shutting down so your whole shelf space angle is waffle as it's nowhere near a concrete argument in measuring library we're not in the 90s.

Duh PS4 has more announced games it's been out for 5 years and NS is not even 2 years, back when PS4 was out for the same time period it didn't even have 40 announced games and such for the period ahead, I have other tastes than Nintendo and not had the same issue as for your claim about developers:

This is from GDC's survey ahead of GDC in March.



Cobretti2 said:
JWeinCom said:

Well... you were just talking about how the Vita had more shelf space at a point than the 3DS... so it doesn't seem that shelf space is a huge factor in purchasing decision.

lol bad example. It lasted a year at launch, but I guess Sony had high hopes then. then shrunk from there to same size as 3ds.

Which would beg the question of why the Vita did not take off and the 3DS did (sort of).  Clearly shelf space is not a huge factor in the decision making process.



MasonADC said:

I thought the whole “ Nintendo fans only buy first party games” would have died out by now 

Why would you think that? When you have Nintendo published games getting ~70% of total Nintendo Switch retail software sales it's not going to die. That said this thread is amusing. Nintendo is absolutely killing it sales-wise with the Switch so I don't see them changing their gameplan at all of 1 or 2 tent-pole games a year since that seems to be enough.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 11 February 2019