Quantcast
PS5 Coming at the End of 2020 According to Analyst: High-Spec Hardware for Under $500

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Coming at the End of 2020 According to Analyst: High-Spec Hardware for Under $500

Price, SKUs, specs ?

Only Base Model, $399, 9-10TF GPU, 16GB RAM 18 27.27%
 
Only Base Model, $449, 10-12TF GPU, 16GB RAM 10 15.15%
 
Only Base Model, $499, 12-14TF GPU, 24GB RAM 17 25.76%
 
Base Model $399 and PREMIUM $499 specs Ans3 10 15.15%
 
Base Mod $399 / PREM $549, >14TF 24GB RAM 5 7.58%
 
Base Mod $449 / PREM $599, the absolute Elite 6 9.09%
 
Total:66
Nate4Drake said:
HoloDust said:

I'm not sure where this 1080 comparison popped-up from, bu I think it means GTX1080...which would actually be terribly poor performance for next gen system aimed at 4K that is supposed to launch in 2020 and last at least to 2026.

I'm not sure why some people keep talking about "GTX 1080" performance.  PS5 and Next XBox will use a much more efficient and advanced technology, which is not ready yet.

  Teraflops alone means nothing.  Furthermore, hardware in a close environment can produce far better results than the equivalent hardware into a PC.   

Yeah, not sure who staterted all that  GTX1080 nonsense, but I've seen it everal times around here in the past. In real life tests 1080 (~8.8TFLOPS) is indeed trading blows with VEGA 64 (~12.6TFLOPS), but that is on PC where nVidia almost always has better bang per flops, not in singular defined console enviroment.

Now, FLOPS are indeed often useless, even real life tests are of somewhat limited usability...only usable thing might be using something like "8x PS4" (which is already weak for 1080p to 4K UHD jump, in addition to usual extra juice required per generation), and GTX1080 level of performance is way short of even that (it's more like 5x).



Around the Network
Evilms said:

A 1080 with console optimization will be more than enough to do better than the PC version. remember J.Carmack :

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/50277106856370176?lang=fr

Playstation 4 really isn't doing double the output of a Radeon 7850/560 though... But roughly the expected line, slightly better. So Carmack is certainly wrong.

I mean shit. The Radeon 7950 can do Battlefield 5 with high settings, 60fps... Which is better than the Playstation 4 and it's not anywhere near double the performance, more like 30-50%.

haxxiy said:

Besides, right now, GTX 1080 hardware or more powerful is less than 5% of all PCs according to the Steam survey, so maybe your notion of "that's not high end" needs a little bit of calibration buddy.

Doesn't matter how comparatively more powerful the GTX 1080 is against the bulk of PC's.
The thing with the PC is you only have to upgrade when you feel the need to, not everyone is chasing 4k.

The GTX 1080 is fairly average hardware in 2019, will likely be mid-range in 2020.

Nate4Drake said:

I'm not sure why some people keep talking about "GTX 1080" performance.  PS5 and Next XBox will use a much more efficient and advanced technology, which is not ready yet.

nVidia is far ahead of AMD in regards to efficiency, AMD's Navi isn't going to change that as it's still Graphics Core Next.


HoloDust said:

Yeah, not sure who staterted all that  GTX1080 nonsense, but I've seen it everal times around here in the past. In real life tests 1080 (~8.8TFLOPS) is indeed trading blows with VEGA 64 (~12.6TFLOPS), but that is on PC where nVidia almost always has better bang per flops, not in singular defined console enviroment.

Now, FLOPS are indeed often useless, even real life tests are of somewhat limited usability...only usable thing might be using something like "8x PS4" (which is already weak for 1080p to 4K UHD jump, in addition to usual extra juice required per generation), and GTX1080 level of performance is way short of even that (it's more like 5x).

Games tend to need more than just FLOPS.
In a scenario where FLOPS (Aka. Single Precision Floating Point) is indeed the only aspect of the GPU being used, AMD's GPU's will beat nVidia's, hands down. (Like Folding/Mining etc'.)

There is so much to a GPU that only focusing on one part of it (Flops) is disingenuous, it is about as useful as Bits or Mhz.



Last edited by Pemalite - on 07 February 2019

CGI-Quality said:
Nate4Drake said:

I'm not sure why some people keep talking about "GTX 1080" performance.  PS5 and Next XBox will use a much more efficient and advanced technology, which is not ready yet.

  Teraflops alone means nothing.  Furthermore, hardware in a close environment can produce far better results than the equivalent hardware into a PC.   

 People often talk about an equivalent PC to the consoles out at the time. It isn’t that it can produce better results, rather, it’s code can be honed in on as a result of the closed ecosystem. Furthermore, the tech in those consoles is very much ready and it will be customized and tailored to the devices. We’re not talking about machines that will be the most powerful things on the market.

What to watch for? Their CPUs and RAM (speed for the former, amount and speed for the latter).

Yep, coding is the most crucial factor, and also hardware customization, optimization and balance.  

  I hope CPU will be much more powerful Next Gen, so we might see improved and more sofisticated gameplay dynamics, interactions, animations, physics and AI.  Hopefully we will have a more significant jump Next Gen in the above mentioned things.   Native 4K is cool, more geometry, draw distance, textures, effects, etc, and this is natural gen after gen, but what I would really see is a more significant jump in the "Game-play mechanics".



”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

In other news, water is wet.

At least it isn't Patcher or other know jinxers.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363


Shiken said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:
They should look to have a huge launch exclusive (not crossgen a true next gen must have since there are so many PS4s out there less people would want to buy for it). Naughty Dog has had since Uncharted 4 in 2016 so 4 years should be enough to maybe get a new IP for a new gen right? Or maybe Horizon 2 from Guerrilla? Idk but something big and exclusive and at launch. Also they should launch in October at the latest. Get those launch preorders out of the way then get that second surge come holidays. Gotta get those first couple million outta the way to make it a holiday rush to get them when they restock.

I think releaseing GoT, Death Stranding, and TLoU2 as a cross gen release set (seeing how they have already been announced for PS4) and Horizon 2 as a PS5 exclusive at launch would pretty much destroy the competition.  A teaser of the next God of War would for PS5 would help drive hype as well.

 

Sony is in a very good spot as far as software line up goes IMO.  If they play their cards right, it could blow PS4 sales out of the water.

Yeah God of War, Spidey 2, and others should definitely be saved for post launch.  Sony should aim to have a big exclusive every quarter.  If they release in November like they probably will then they should have one big exclusive to go with it.  Then something in March, then something in June, then something in September, then something November again.  Just keep it scheduled.  I don't like when they roll 2 in real close like GoW and Detroit kinda did.  One ends up overshadowing the other.  If they release in September like I would want then just move em all back 2 months from what I said.  A nice steady pace



I am Iron Man

Around the Network

Hopefully 'under 500' isn't $499.



konnichiwa said:
Honestly I would not be surprised if they release two consoles with one being 599 with higher specs. You have a market for people who want to spend more for a 'Beefy console'

What's the point. The ps4 Pro sold big numbers despite being weaker then the X. It's just a waste of power that most devs won't take advantage of because they need to facilitate the lowest common denominator. 



Nate4Drake said:
I'm still wondering if Sony will go with a single SKU or like MS, with 2 SKUs. If I should place a bet, I would say Sony will go "easy" with only one SKU, but very powerful, in the $449 price range. It will have BC and a stronger line-up than PS4 at Launch.



They will go one. It's easier for both Sony and the consumer. Sony doesn't need the low end cause they have the ps4



499 hardware optimized for its purpose at end of 2020 can provide an outstanding machine, specs wise. CPU would be the biggesti improvement.
If not focusing in native 4k, the games can be even more impressive not usng it (you get a 4k checkerborded (or even better solutions) with half of the processing power, native now seems a waste).

MS might go in the same route, a 500$ beafy console, but also has a second option, very cheap mini console or echo dot like (below 100$, including controller). Plays all Xbox games on the cloud(old, new, etc). With also versions for IoS, android and switch under some subscription.
And then I feel MS will never push many hardware to compete to Sony, but its services will generate more and more revenue than ever

And as for switch, in these 2 years we might see a revision. Id bet on a mini first, we are on the verge of pokemon gen 8 and animal crossing



Pemalite said:
Evilms said:

A 1080 with console optimization will be more than enough to do better than the PC version. remember J.Carmack :

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/50277106856370176?lang=fr

Playstation 4 really isn't doing double the output of a Radeon 7850/560 though... But roughly the expected line, slightly better. So Carmack is certainly wrong.

I mean shit. The Radeon 7950 can do Battlefield 5 with high settings, 60fps... Which is better than the Playstation 4 and it's not anywhere near double the performance, more like 30-50%.

So u r saying an SoC equivalent to 7850 paired with Jaquar CPU technically an APU clocked at 1.6 is on par with PS4? .. and again 7950 paired with a mobile Jaquar CPU clocked at 1.6 will run Battlefield 5, High Setting, at 60fps?