Quantcast
Help with Mini-ITX Gaming Build

Forums - PC Discussion - Help with Mini-ITX Gaming Build

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Biggerboat1 said:

I think if I was to wait for the 3000 series it would probably make sense to stick with my 4670k just now rather than buy an AMD interem...

My fear is that the 'mid-2019' release for the 3000 series becomes 'late 2019' then 'TBA'. Hopefully they manage this node shift better than Intel to 10nm...

First 7nm chips are already released, though they are GPUs; Radeon VII, Radeon Instinct Mi50 and MI60. CPU is sampling right now which means release is just a couple months away - I expect a June release, which would still beat Intel by over half a year minimum.

I can definitely wait until June.

I'm sure the RTX 2060 paired with my 4670K will give me a good enough experience in the meantime, so I'm not really losing out on much. 5 months ain't long to wait to un-clutter my media centre. It looks a bit comical at the moment as I have an almost bezel-less beautiful OLED TV with my gargantuan PC sat directly behind it (you see the profile when you enter the room) - the pinnacle of exquisite, sleek consumer electronic design combined with a huge chunky monolith... a bit like wearing a Hugo Boss suit with a pair of wellies :)



Around the Network
Biggerboat1 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

First 7nm chips are already released, though they are GPUs; Radeon VII, Radeon Instinct Mi50 and MI60. CPU is sampling right now which means release is just a couple months away - I expect a June release, which would still beat Intel by over half a year minimum.

I can definitely wait until June.

I'm sure the RTX 2060 paired with my 4670K will give me a good enough experience in the meantime, so I'm not really losing out on much. 5 months ain't long to wait to un-clutter my media centre. It looks a bit comical at the moment as I have an almost bezel-less beautiful OLED TV with my gargantuan PC sat directly behind it (you see the profile when you enter the room) - the pinnacle of exquisite, sleek consumer electronic design combined with a huge chunky monolith... a bit like wearing a Hugo Boss suit with a pair of wellies :)

That could sometimes describe my wife, gorgeous dress and then wearing flip-flops with it...



Bofferbrauer2 said:
Biggerboat1 said:

I can definitely wait until June.

I'm sure the RTX 2060 paired with my 4670K will give me a good enough experience in the meantime, so I'm not really losing out on much. 5 months ain't long to wait to un-clutter my media centre. It looks a bit comical at the moment as I have an almost bezel-less beautiful OLED TV with my gargantuan PC sat directly behind it (you see the profile when you enter the room) - the pinnacle of exquisite, sleek consumer electronic design combined with a huge chunky monolith... a bit like wearing a Hugo Boss suit with a pair of wellies :)

That could sometimes describe my wife, gorgeous dress and then wearing flip-flops with it...

Hehe  I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that would love their wives to be into cheap shoes - you lucked out of there - more money for rtx gpus :) 



The 4760K is still a strong chip, Haswell still has more to give, especially once you overclock... So can last for a while longer yet.

With that said... Anandtech has a "Best CPU's for Gaming" thingy today.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9793/best-cpus

Even they are recommending the Ryzen 2600 and 2700 for their respective price brackets.

April to June is when they are expecting Ryzen 3rd gen. - Most people have hedged their bets around that period.

Just a shame that Ryzen 3rd gen isn't coming notebooks as a 7nm chip, but rather a 12nm one, so there is no inclination to upgrade for me yet!



Pemalite said:

The 4760K is still a strong chip, Haswell still has more to give, especially once you overclock... So can last for a while longer yet.

With that said... Anandtech has a "Best CPU's for Gaming" thingy today.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/9793/best-cpus

Even they are recommending the Ryzen 2600 and 2700 for their respective price brackets.

April to June is when they are expecting Ryzen 3rd gen. - Most people have hedged their bets around that period.

Just a shame that Ryzen 3rd gen isn't coming notebooks as a 7nm chip, but rather a 12nm one, so there is no inclination to upgrade for me yet!

Yeah, you guys have definitely converted me - 100% AMD come June time.

My 4670K is OC'd to 4.2 so is still nippy enough, it's just the hulking size of the machine that's the problem!



Around the Network
Biggerboat1 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

That could sometimes describe my wife, gorgeous dress and then wearing flip-flops with it...

Hehe  I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that would love their wives to be into cheap shoes - you lucked out of there - more money for rtx gpus :) 

Oh, don't get me wrong, she has, buys and loves more expensive shoes, just almost always wears flip-flops now since she gained weight



 

Word on the street is that Ryzen 3000 series should also overclock higher thanks to the 7nm process.

Actually keen to see what this year brings and if AMD will bring more Cores into the mainstream segments... AMD typically always offered more CPU cores than Intel at every price point historically.



Bofferbrauer2 said:
Biggerboat1 said:

Hehe  I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that would love their wives to be into cheap shoes - you lucked out of there - more money for rtx gpus :) 

Oh, don't get me wrong, she has, buys and loves more expensive shoes, just almost always wears flip-flops now since she gained weight

Well, there does seem to be an odd phenomena that the more expensive the lady shoe, the more torturous it looks to walk in! 



Pemalite said:

 

Word on the street is that Ryzen 3000 series should also overclock higher thanks to the 7nm process.

Actually keen to see what this year brings and if AMD will bring more Cores into the mainstream segments... AMD typically always offered more CPU cores than Intel at every price point historically.

Hopefully they can start putting more pressure on nvidia in the gpu market as well... I feel nvidia's pricing on the 20 series needs reeled in somewhat... Hopefully their less than expected recent sales and AMD's next cards will apply some much needed pressure...

FYI - I grabbed myself a PS4 Pro - that will keep me going until June and still has some extremely pretty games despite being a fraction of the capability of a good PC. 1st Sony console I've ever owned in fact - have historically always been Nintendo & PC.



Biggerboat1 said:
Pemalite said:

 

Word on the street is that Ryzen 3000 series should also overclock higher thanks to the 7nm process.

Actually keen to see what this year brings and if AMD will bring more Cores into the mainstream segments... AMD typically always offered more CPU cores than Intel at every price point historically.

Hopefully they can start putting more pressure on nvidia in the gpu market as well... I feel nvidia's pricing on the 20 series needs reeled in somewhat... Hopefully their less than expected recent sales and AMD's next cards will apply some much needed pressure...

FYI - I grabbed myself a PS4 Pro - that will keep me going until June and still has some extremely pretty games despite being a fraction of the capability of a good PC. 1st Sony console I've ever owned in fact - have historically always been Nintendo & PC.

On topic of the CPUs, AMD recently stated that they will give more details about the Zen 2/Ryzen 3000 chips at the GDC (March 19-23) next month. Hopefully this can also include some information about the upcoming Navi chips, but I wouldn't hold my breath - I expect those informations rather at the E3 PC presentation.

I had a PSOne and a PS2 (both first models and still in working order), but I stopped buying those because they tried too much to be like PC and have their library of games instead of being their own thing - which is why the only consoles I'm still buying are Nintendo consoles. Besides, I hate the Playstation controller layout (even after all these years, never can remember where Circle, Cross. Triangle and Rectangle are and always have to look down on the pad) and form (too small and cramped for my large hands)