Quantcast
gamrConnect Presents: Their 979 Greatest Games, as of 2018

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: Their 979 Greatest Games, as of 2018

Hiku said:

First of all, really good job on the execution and presentation of the topic, @mZuzek
Was nice to see all the different breakdowns, and that each game in the top 100 was presented with a banner.

I was pleased to see Majora's Mask at #12, before I kept scrolling down, and realized that the entire Top 20 (except SOTC) was nothing but Nintendo games, and 4 other Zelda titles were above Majora, so I was like... oh... T_T

And I'm not sure how this relates to the fanbase of VGCZ vs people who participated, but since I like the effort put into this, I will make sure to try to participate next time.

The top 2 on PS4 being Persona 5 and Nier is pretty accurate to my personal taste though, but there are many big games I haven't played yet.
Suikoden II landed on #43 for PS1 with 1 vote. Since it's my favorite game of all time, I'll make sure it gets one more vote next time. lol

Technically there were 2 non-Nintendo games in the top 20, with Final Fantasy VII just barely making it in (though right behind Final Fantasy VII there are plenty more). It was actually an "improvement" over last year, where Resident Evil 4 was the only one that made it in, but yeah, it's still not looking very diverse at the moment. I'm glad you wanna be a part of it next year, I'll be sure to try and make it even better than last.



Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Hiku said:

First of all, really good job on the execution and presentation of the topic, @mZuzek
Was nice to see all the different breakdowns, and that each game in the top 100 was presented with a banner.

I was pleased to see Majora's Mask at #12, before I kept scrolling down, and realized that the entire Top 20 (except SOTC) was nothing but Nintendo games, and 4 other Zelda titles were above Majora, so I was like... oh... T_T

And I'm not sure how this relates to the fanbase of VGCZ vs people who participated, but since I like the effort put into this, I will make sure to try to participate next time.

The top 2 on PS4 being Persona 5 and Nier is pretty accurate to my personal taste though, but there are many big games I haven't played yet.
Suikoden II landed on #43 for PS1 with 1 vote. Since it's my favorite game of all time, I'll make sure it gets one more vote next time. lol

I just need another week or two of playing Smash. After that it's the Suikoden trilogy for me, followed by Wargroove!

Oh yeah, I seem to recall discussing Suikoden 2 with you about a year ago? Glad to hear you will get to it.
It's an old game now, so the gameplay mechanics show their age in some ways. Though it has some mechanics that are still rather unique and interesting to this day. But primarily, I hope you enjoy the story of Suiokoden 2, because it's something that stuck with me all this time. Just remember that each one has a 'true ending' where the requirement always is to recruit all 108 characters. (It can also depend on keeping certain characters alive, even where it seems as if they're supposed to die.)
When you finish it, if you feel like it I'd like to hear what you thought of it.

mZuzek said:
Hiku said:

First of all, really good job on the execution and presentation of the topic, @mZuzek
Was nice to see all the different breakdowns, and that each game in the top 100 was presented with a banner.

I was pleased to see Majora's Mask at #12, before I kept scrolling down, and realized that the entire Top 20 (except SOTC) was nothing but Nintendo games, and 4 other Zelda titles were above Majora, so I was like... oh... T_T

And I'm not sure how this relates to the fanbase of VGCZ vs people who participated, but since I like the effort put into this, I will make sure to try to participate next time.

The top 2 on PS4 being Persona 5 and Nier is pretty accurate to my personal taste though, but there are many big games I haven't played yet.
Suikoden II landed on #43 for PS1 with 1 vote. Since it's my favorite game of all time, I'll make sure it gets one more vote next time. lol

Technically there were 2 non-Nintendo games in the top 20, with Final Fantasy VII just barely making it in (though right behind Final Fantasy VII there are plenty more). It was actually an "improvement" over last year, where Resident Evil 4 was the only one that made it in, but yeah, it's still not looking very diverse at the moment. I'm glad you wanna be a part of it next year, I'll be sure to try and make it even better than last.

Oh yeah, that's right. And now that you mention it, I think I vaguely recall seeing the results of last year's vote, and thinking "Resident Evil 4 was also on Gamecube".

I have a feeling that if more people voted, Persona 5 and Nier may not retain their top 2 positions on the PS4 list either, although they are my personal top 2.
At least from reading comments on this board over the years, games like God of War seem more popular, or more people played them.

Not sure how you can make it better next year, but I have to admit that it was my own laziness in reading through the rules that made me not participate.
One idea could be to make a video version of say the top 20 with audio snippets of the soundtrack for each game, alongside the text/picture version list you made now, for those who prefer that option, or want to see both. But that music would probably lead to copyright issues on Youtube.

Last edited by Hiku - on 26 January 2019

Hiku said:

Not sure how you can make it better next year, but I have to admit that it was my own laziness in reading through the rules that made me not participate.
One idea could be to make a video version of say the top 20 with audio snippets of the soundtrack for each game, alongside the text/picture version list you made now, for those who prefer that option, or want to see both. But that music would probably lead to copyright issues on Youtube.

Eh, the first step is just having more people around. Making it better doesn't necessarily mean changing things up. Personally I like this format and wouldn't want to upload a video on YouTube or anything (and certainly not on the top 20, which suddenly seems to be the focus because of how Nintendo-centric it is), though I have considered maybe including links to music from the games here on the OP. The issue there would be that having embed YouTube videos would make the post way too bloated, but you can change the dimensions of the videos so maybe it can be fixed... is it possible to reduce it to the point where you only get the player bar visible? That would be perfect, maybe I should check if it's possible sometime. Then again, doing that would pose quite an issue for me in terms of workload given how many of those games I haven't played, and consequently don't know the soundtrack of.



mZuzek said:
Hiku said:

Not sure how you can make it better next year, but I have to admit that it was my own laziness in reading through the rules that made me not participate.
One idea could be to make a video version of say the top 20 with audio snippets of the soundtrack for each game, alongside the text/picture version list you made now, for those who prefer that option, or want to see both. But that music would probably lead to copyright issues on Youtube.

Eh, the first step is just having more people around. Making it better doesn't necessarily mean changing things up. Personally I like this format and wouldn't want to upload a video on YouTube or anything (and certainly not on the top 20, which suddenly seems to be the focus because of how Nintendo-centric it is), though I have considered maybe including links to music from the games here on the OP. The issue there would be that having embed YouTube videos would make the post way too bloated, but you can change the dimensions of the videos so maybe it can be fixed... is it possible to reduce it to the point where you only get the player bar visible? That would be perfect, maybe I should check if it's possible sometime. Then again, doing that would pose quite an issue for me in terms of workload given how many of those games I haven't played, and consequently don't know the soundtrack of.

Well I was thinking only one video for Top 20, that plays like a montage. Not 20 separate videos.
But on the note of having only the player bar visible, I don't know if that's possible with Youtube videos, but I do know that I've done that on another forum some years ago. I don't recall what site was used to host the tracks, or if it was an innate forum feature, but it was possible to post mp3 links that were just a Play/Pause button + volume slider and progress bar that doesn't take up much space. So in theory I know it's something that's possible to do. Just don't know if it can be done on this particular forum, and how. If I recall correctly, the player bar looked like Windows Media Player.

We used that for a game where people would listen to a snippet from a game's OST, and guess which game it was from.

Yeah, getting more people interested in participating would be more important, since I think it already looks great the way it is.
Do you show the list of like the Top 10 games from the previous year in the OP of the voting topic? I don't recall seeing that when reading through the rules for this year.

Also, I'll PayPal you $20 to rig the polls to make Majora's Mask the #1 Zelda game.

Last edited by Hiku - on 27 January 2019

Hiku said:

Well I was thinking only one video for Top 20, that plays like a montage. Not 20 separate videos.
But on the note of having only the player bar visible, I don't know if that's possible with Youtube videos, but I do know that I've done that on another forum some years ago. I don't recall what site was used to host the tracks, or if it was an innate forum feature, but it was possible to post mp3 links that were just a Play/Pause button + volume slider and progress bar that doesn't take up much space. So in theory I know it's something that's possible to do. Just don't know if it can be done on this particular forum, and how. If I recall correctly, the player bar looked like Windows Media Player.

We used that for a game where people would listen to a snippet from a game's OST, and guess which game it was from.

Yeah, getting more people interested in participating would be more important, since I think it already looks great the way it is.
Do you show the list of like the Top 10 games from the previous year in the OP of the voting topic? I don't recall seeing that when reading through the rules for this year.

Also, I'll PayPal you $20 to rig the polls to make Majora's Mask the #1 Zelda game.

Nah the results of each year are always only in the results thread. This event isn't really supposed to be a "poll", it's more about an yearly celebration of video games, spending the last 50 days of a year talking about each of our 50 favorite games. Personally, I think that discussion, about our own favorite games, is the real heart of this event, which is why I'm not as bothered by the end results (in fact, most of the people bothered by them are usually ones who didn't participate, which only makes sense), I see them more as just a final bonus thing to celebrate the event as a whole.

About the music, I'll look into it - which likely means I'll forget about it and then decide not to do it because it'd be too much work, but hey, we'll see.

And about rigging it, well, if you were offering me money to put Skyward Sword at #1 or something, I'd think about your case.



Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Hiku said:

Well I was thinking only one video for Top 20, that plays like a montage. Not 20 separate videos.
But on the note of having only the player bar visible, I don't know if that's possible with Youtube videos, but I do know that I've done that on another forum some years ago. I don't recall what site was used to host the tracks, or if it was an innate forum feature, but it was possible to post mp3 links that were just a Play/Pause button + volume slider and progress bar that doesn't take up much space. So in theory I know it's something that's possible to do. Just don't know if it can be done on this particular forum, and how. If I recall correctly, the player bar looked like Windows Media Player.

We used that for a game where people would listen to a snippet from a game's OST, and guess which game it was from.

Yeah, getting more people interested in participating would be more important, since I think it already looks great the way it is.
Do you show the list of like the Top 10 games from the previous year in the OP of the voting topic? I don't recall seeing that when reading through the rules for this year.

Also, I'll PayPal you $20 to rig the polls to make Majora's Mask the #1 Zelda game.

Nah the results of each year are always only in the results thread. This event isn't really supposed to be a "poll", it's more about an yearly celebration of video games, spending the last 50 days of a year talking about each of our 50 favorite games. Personally, I think that discussion, about our own favorite games, is the real heart of this event, which is why I'm not as bothered by the end results (in fact, most of the people bothered by them are usually ones who didn't participate, which only makes sense), I see them more as just a final bonus thing to celebrate the event as a whole.

About the music, I'll look into it - which likely means I'll forget about it and then decide not to do it because it'd be too much work, but hey, we'll see.

And about rigging it, well, if you were offering me money to put Skyward Sword at #1 or something, I'd think about your case.

Yeah I'm not bothered by any of the results, though since Majora's Mask tends to be an underdog among the top Zelda games, seeing it high up would suggest it may be more appreciated among our members here than I thought. But turns out it's about where I would have expected it.
That and the top 20 made me realize I should probably participate. But primarily it was because of how you presented the Top 100 list. I appreciate the layout, and realize it must have taken quite some time. That's also why I asked if you displayed last years results like that in the voting topic, as that may have motivated me to read through the rules more properly.

Looks like you got 55 lists though, so that sounds like a good chunk of members. More than I expected would participate, so well done on that as well.

Skywards Sword and Majora's Mask will be #1 and #2 next year, confirmed.

Last edited by Hiku - on 27 January 2019

I think the format is just fine as it is. It's really just a matter of getting more people to participate in my opinion, not even for the sake of variety, but just the get more people's opinions to influence the end result. I don't agree with the top of the list, but I don't mind that. These are all just opinions after all, and everyone is entitled to their own. I would just like to see more people taking part, and maybe just get more games in general on to the list.



Hiku said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I just need another week or two of playing Smash. After that it's the Suikoden trilogy for me, followed by Wargroove!

Oh yeah, I seem to recall discussing Suikoden 2 with you about a year ago? Glad to hear you will get to it.
It's an old game now, so the gameplay mechanics show their age in some ways. Though it has some mechanics that are still rather unique and interesting to this day. But primarily, I hope you enjoy the story of Suiokoden 2, because it's something that stuck with me all this time. Just remember that each one has a 'true ending' where the requirement always is to recruit all 108 characters. (It can also depend on keeping certain characters alive, even where it seems as if they're supposed to die.)
When you finish it, if you feel like it I'd like to hear what you thought of it.

It has begun. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/ja3dIQL

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 31 January 2019

Cerebralbore101 said:
Hiku said:

Oh yeah, I seem to recall discussing Suikoden 2 with you about a year ago? Glad to hear you will get to it.
It's an old game now, so the gameplay mechanics show their age in some ways. Though it has some mechanics that are still rather unique and interesting to this day. But primarily, I hope you enjoy the story of Suiokoden 2, because it's something that stuck with me all this time. Just remember that each one has a 'true ending' where the requirement always is to recruit all 108 characters. (It can also depend on keeping certain characters alive, even where it seems as if they're supposed to die.)
When you finish it, if you feel like it I'd like to hear what you thought of it.

It has begun. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/ja3dIQL

˙˚ʚ(´◡`)ɞ˚

If you're playing on a Playstation or Playstation 2, you'll be able to transfer your save data over from Sui 1 to Sui 2. Some choices you make in Suikoden 1 will carry over to the second game.
And regarding what I said earlier, some times characters in this series die as part of the story, but if someone dies and there are gameplay related mechanics involved, question if you could have done something to save them.

Hope you have fun with the game.

Last edited by Hiku - on 05 February 2019

Only just remembered this. As usual a Nintendo dominated list, sad.

10 of the games in my top 50 no one else voted for!

Mass Effect: Andromeda
Stellaris
Age of Empires
Civilization VI
Sims 4
TrackMania Turbo
Saints Row 3
Mario Party 6
No Man's Sky
Empire Earth

My full list:
#50 Wolfenstein The New Order (PS4)
#49 Empire Earth (PC)
#48 Forza Horizon 4 (PC)
#47 The Sims 4 (PC/PS4)
#46 Xcom 2 (PS4)
#45 Crash Bash (PS1)
#44 Skyrim (Switch)
#43 No Man Sky (PS4)
#42 Mario Party 6 (GCN)
#41 Terraria (PC)
#40 Uncharted (PS3/PS4)
#39 Saints Row 3 (PS3)
#38 Tomb Raider (2013) (PS3/PS4/PC)
#37 GTA V (PS3/PS4/PC)
#36 Ocarina of Time (3DS)
#35 Breath of the Wild (Switch)
#34 Fallout 4 (PS4)
#33 Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
#32 Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
#31 Rollercoaster Tycoon (PC)
#30 Age of Empires (PC)
#29 Trackmania Turbo (PS4)
#28 Super Mario Bros 3 (Snes)
#27 Super Mario World (Snes)
#26 Batman Arkham Asylum (PS3/PS4/PC)
#25 Civilization 5 (PC)
#24 Batman Arkham Knight (PS4)
#23 Animal Crossing Wild Worlds (DS)
#22 Super Mario 64 (N64)
#21 Stardew Valley (PS4)
#20 Jak and Daxter (PS3/PS4/PSV)
#19 Ratchet and Clank 2 (PS2/PS3/PSV)
#18 Civilization 6 (PC)
#17 Ratchet Crack in Time (PS3)
#16 Ratchet and Clank (2016) (PS4)
#15 Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
#14 Pokemon Red/Blue/Fire Red/Leaf Green (GB/GBA)
#13 Stellaris (PC)
#12 Persona 4 (PSV)
#11 The Witcher 3 (PS4)
#10 Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4)
#9 Dragon Age Inquisition (PS4)
#8 Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
#7 Persona 5 (PS4)
#6 Crash Bandicoot 3 (PS1/PS4)
#5 Spyro the Dragon (PS1)
#4 Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1/PS4)
#3 Mario Kart 8 (WiiU/Switch)
#2 Rocket League (PS4/PC)
#1 Crash Team Racing (PS1)

Though if I made the list again today BOTW wouldn't be as high as it is.



PS4 Pro, Nintendo Switch, PC: i5-4670k, RX470.