Quantcast
Japan Sales Week 1, December 31 - January 6, 2019.

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 1, December 31 - January 6, 2019.

colafitte said:
Smash is doing way better than i expected in Japan. Switch software in Japan is a juggernaut.

But the surprise here is the performance of PS4 reaching 117k.....how, why???

Week 1 always sees an increase over week 52 and this is the last week of the PS4 price cut+2 games bundle.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
colafitte said:
Smash is doing way better than i expected in Japan. Switch software in Japan is a juggernaut.

But the surprise here is the performance of PS4 reaching 117k.....how, why???

Temporary price cut, will be interesting to see what happens the following weeks, even with noteworthy titles. At this stage I would just make it permanent price cut. 

 

RolStoppable said:

colafitte said:
Smash is doing way better than i expected in Japan. Switch software in Japan is a juggernaut.

But the surprise here is the performance of PS4 reaching 117k.....how, why???

The holiday season in Japan doesn't follow the same pattern as in America and Europe. It extends into January before things begin to settle, hence why Sony's promotion for the PS4 continued throughout the most recent tracking period and didn't end in December.

 

zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:
Smash is doing way better than i expected in Japan. Switch software in Japan is a juggernaut.

But the surprise here is the performance of PS4 reaching 117k.....how, why???

Week 1 always sees an increase over week 52 and this is the last week of the PS4 price cut+2 games bundle.

I know first week of the year is way better than the rest of the world in Japan. It's something similar here in Spain because of "Reyes Magos".

But i was comparing PS4 numbers not with the weeks before, but with last year's numbers. Did the PS4 not had a deal for MHW anymore in that week last year?

Despite the price cut, i think nobody expected PS4 to reach 100K...



colafitte said:
Acevil said:

Temporary price cut, will be interesting to see what happens the following weeks, even with noteworthy titles. At this stage I would just make it permanent price cut. 

 

RolStoppable said:

The holiday season in Japan doesn't follow the same pattern as in America and Europe. It extends into January before things begin to settle, hence why Sony's promotion for the PS4 continued throughout the most recent tracking period and didn't end in December.

 

zorg1000 said:

Week 1 always sees an increase over week 52 and this is the last week of the PS4 price cut+2 games bundle.

I know first week of the year is way better than the rest of the world in Japan. It's something similar here in Spain because of "Reyes Magos".

But i was comparing PS4 numbers not with the weeks before, but with last year's numbers. Did the PS4 not had a deal for MHW anymore in that week last year?

Despite the price cut, i think nobody expected PS4 to reach 100K...

While it maybe true that many did not expect 100,000. Pretty sure many did not expect temporary price cut with two games either. Also no deal was really present last year that really compares to the current deal, it was doing 50,000 during those weeks that this year it was doing 75,000 plus for most of December. (Edit: 50,000 only in week 52)

I should note that even with 50,000 in Week 52 2017 for PS4, it jumped to  around 100,000 in Week 1 in 2018. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 10 January 2019

 

Last week of promotion... KH3 releasing soon... probably stole a bit hardware from that week for an absolute great week this week.

Overall a very nice weekend

colafitte said:
Acevil said:

Temporary price cut, will be interesting to see what happens the following weeks, even with noteworthy titles. At this stage I would just make it permanent price cut. 

 

RolStoppable said:

The holiday season in Japan doesn't follow the same pattern as in America and Europe. It extends into January before things begin to settle, hence why Sony's promotion for the PS4 continued throughout the most recent tracking period and didn't end in December.

 

zorg1000 said:

Week 1 always sees an increase over week 52 and this is the last week of the PS4 price cut+2 games bundle.

I know first week of the year is way better than the rest of the world in Japan. It's something similar here in Spain because of "Reyes Magos".

But i was comparing PS4 numbers not with the weeks before, but with last year's numbers. Did the PS4 not had a deal for MHW anymore in that week last year?

Despite the price cut, i think nobody expected PS4 to reach 100K...

Last year was 92k with no price promotion/bundled games. The Monster Hunter bundle was alimited edition bundle specifically for the Pro model that released on Dec 7. It sold 33k in the first week so by its 5th week it was likely already sold out or selling small quantities so no it had little to no affect on week 1 sales last year.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
colafitte said:

 

 

I know first week of the year is way better than the rest of the world in Japan. It's something similar here in Spain because of "Reyes Magos".

But i was comparing PS4 numbers not with the weeks before, but with last year's numbers. Did the PS4 not had a deal for MHW anymore in that week last year?

Despite the price cut, i think nobody expected PS4 to reach 100K...

While it maybe true that many did not expect 100,000. Pretty sure many did not expect temporary price cut with two games either. Also no deal was really present last year that really compares to the current deal, it was doing 35,000-50,000 during those weeks. This year it was doing 75,000 plus for most of December. 

Was not PS4 doing way more than that those weeks last year?? 

week 49 2017: 85k; week 49 2018: 74k

week 50 2017: 63K; week 50 2018: 81K

week 51 2017:70K; week 50 2018: 75K

week 1 2018: 91K; week 1 2019: 117K

That's what i'm saying... This year's week is way better compared to the pace last year. Maybe is because the deal is better like you said, but the 3 weeks before the pace was similar.



zorg1000 said:
colafitte said:

 

 

I know first week of the year is way better than the rest of the world in Japan. It's something similar here in Spain because of "Reyes Magos".

But i was comparing PS4 numbers not with the weeks before, but with last year's numbers. Did the PS4 not had a deal for MHW anymore in that week last year?

Despite the price cut, i think nobody expected PS4 to reach 100K...

Last year was 92k with no price promotion/bundled games. The Monster Hunter bundle was alimited edition bundle specifically for the Pro model that released on Dec 7. It sold 33k in the first week so by its 5th week it was likely already sold out or selling small quantities so no it had little to no affect on week 1 sales last year.

OK, thank you. That will explain it then...Maybe KH III launch is helping too.



colafitte said:
Acevil said:

While it maybe true that many did not expect 100,000. Pretty sure many did not expect temporary price cut with two games either. Also no deal was really present last year that really compares to the current deal, it was doing 35,000-50,000 during those weeks. This year it was doing 75,000 plus for most of December. 

Was not PS4 doing way more than that those weeks last year?? 

week 49 2017: 85k; week 49 2018: 74k

week 50 2017: 63K; week 50 2018: 81K

week 51 2017:70K; week 50 2018: 75K

week 1 2018: 91K; week 1 2019: 117K

That's what i'm saying... This year's week is way better compared to the pace last year. Maybe is because the deal is better like you said, but the 3 weeks before the pace was similar.

Sony tends to get bigger bumps following the actual Christmas holiday as people who received money buy a PS4, that in conjunction with the PS4 2 game deal it caused it to be elevated compared to prior weeks with the same bundle deal.



colafitte said:
Acevil said:

While it maybe true that many did not expect 100,000. Pretty sure many did not expect temporary price cut with two games either. Also no deal was really present last year that really compares to the current deal, it was doing 35,000-50,000 during those weeks. This year it was doing 75,000 plus for most of December. 

Was not PS4 doing way more than that those weeks last year?? 

week 49 2017: 85k; week 49 2018: 74k

week 50 2017: 63K; week 50 2018: 81K

week 51 2017:70K; week 50 2018: 75K

week 1 2018: 91K; week 1 2019: 117K

That's what i'm saying... This year's week is way better compared to the pace last year. Maybe is because the deal is better like you said, but the 3 weeks before the pace was similar.

Oh sorry, looks like it was just week 52, that was 50,000. (Also you left out week 52.) (I thought it was 35,000 at the beginning of the month, but looks like my memory served me wrong.)

Last edited by Acevil - on 10 January 2019

 

Smash is killing it...I wonder how high it can soar