Quantcast
Banjo-Kazooie Level in Super Mario Odyssey

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Banjo-Kazooie Level in Super Mario Odyssey

Ultravolt said:

That's awesome! That level was fun, but also made me want to rip my hair out, haha. I'd love to see Rusty Bucket Bay or Treasure Trove Cove be put in Odyssey!

I'd more like to see Nintendo buy Banjo-Kazooie from Rare, since Rare doesn't seem to care enough to give us a new game after turning it into a car building flop, but yeah.

What'd be even more impressive; Click Clock Wood, all four seasons! :D



Some days I just blow up.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

I'd more like to see Nintendo buy Banjo-Kazooie from Rare, since Rare doesn't seem to care enough to give us a new game after turning it into a car building flop, but yeah.

What'd be even more impressive; Click Clock Wood, all four seasons! :D

I love Nintendo, i am actually a huge fan. But lets be real here. Lets not act like Nintendo doesnt shelve IPs either. Golden Sun, Advance Wars, F-Zero? They only just announced a Metroid Prime 4 which is great but Nintendo has Mario to work on. They would Maybe source a 3rd party to make Banjo for them but than what changes from now?

There are rumours that next E3 there are hints of a Banjo Threeie.

Also we might be lucky enough to see Banjo in Smash (Fingers crossed)



Azzanation said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I mean they could've bought Banjo from Rare during the split.

And why would Rare do that? That's like saying Sega should have sold Sonic when they stopped making consoles. Besides Rare made Banjo Kazooie into a great game, not Nintendo. I think a lot of people forget that.

Yeah but they also made nuts and bolts sooooo...



Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Azzanation said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I mean they could've bought Banjo from Rare during the split.

And why would Rare do that? That's like saying Sega should have sold Sonic when they stopped making consoles. Besides Rare made Banjo Kazooie into a great game, not Nintendo. I think a lot of people forget that.

Because Sega didn't have to pay someone a couple hundred million dollars to get out of the console business.  Nintendo owned 49% of Rare.  Nintendo could have asked for IPs as compensation instead of money if they'd wanted.

It wouldn't be far off from how Microsoft got to keep Halo as an IP when Bungie left.



Shiken said:
Azzanation said:

And why would Rare do that? That's like saying Sega should have sold Sonic when they stopped making consoles. Besides Rare made Banjo Kazooie into a great game, not Nintendo. I think a lot of people forget that.

Yeah but they also made nuts and bolts sooooo...

Yeahhhhhhh and Sega made a lot worse games. Nutz and Bolts is a solid game compared to anything Sega brought out in there after years.

NightlyPoe said:
Azzanation said:

And why would Rare do that? That's like saying Sega should have sold Sonic when they stopped making consoles. Besides Rare made Banjo Kazooie into a great game, not Nintendo. I think a lot of people forget that.

Because Sega didn't have to pay someone a couple hundred million dollars to get out of the console business.  Nintendo owned 49% of Rare.  Nintendo could have asked for IPs as compensation instead of money if they'd wanted.

It wouldn't be far off from how Microsoft got to keep Halo as an IP when Bungie left.

Erm Rare wanted out from Nintendo, If Nintendo wanted to keep them than they needed to look after them which they didn't towards the end. Beside MS would have brought Rare because of the IPs. Rare without the IPs would have been a less attractive purchase and less money in it for Nintendo.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 11 January 2019

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
NightlyPoe said:

Because Sega didn't have to pay someone a couple hundred million dollars to get out of the console business.  Nintendo owned 49% of Rare.  Nintendo could have asked for IPs as compensation instead of money if they'd wanted.

It wouldn't be far off from how Microsoft got to keep Halo as an IP when Bungie left.

Erm Rare wanted out from Nintendo, If Nintendo wanted to keep them than they needed to look after them which they didn't towards the end. Beside MS would have brought Rare because of the IPs. Rare without the IPs would have been a less attractive purchase and less money in it for Nintendo.

Pretty sure I mentioned Nintendo would be keeping the IPs in lieu of some money.  Yep, indeed I did.

And Rare wanting to leave or Nintendo not showing them enough love is immaterial.  The simple fact is that Nintendo owned 49% of a company that Microsoft apparently thought was worth $375 million.  That's about $184 million in Nintendo's pocket.  Do you imagine that the Banjo IP is worth anywhere near that much?

Heck, there have only been three new Banjo-Kazooie games since Microsoft bought Rare.  And two of them were released on a Nintendo platform!



NightlyPoe said:

Pretty sure I mentioned Nintendo would be keeping the IPs in lieu of some money.  Yep, indeed I did.

And Rare wanting to leave or Nintendo not showing them enough love is immaterial.  The simple fact is that Nintendo owned 49% of a company that Microsoft apparently thought was worth $375 million.  That's about $184 million in Nintendo's pocket.  Do you imagine that the Banjo IP is worth anywhere near that much?

Heck, there have only been three new Banjo-Kazooie games since Microsoft bought Rare.  And two of them were released on a Nintendo platform!

Maybe Rare didn't want to give Nintendo Banjo Kazooie.

Are you saying you wanted Nintendo to sell Rare off with nothing or atleast without there biggest IP? I am sure MS, Activision and other brands saw the IPs like Banjo Kazooie and that alone would have raised interests in knowing that IP was included with the purchase.

It doesn't seem like Nintendo cared and neither did Rare, All I know is Rare wanted to be moved on and Rare as a package with all there IPs is what made the sell a lot easier.

Much like Bungie holding onto Destiny, keeping the IPs keeps the brand strong and makes it easier for others to pick them up etc. 

Also what would Nintendo do with Banjo Kazooie? They own so many platformers and I highly doubt they will set there big AAA Mario Team developers to make it. 

Last edited by Azzanation - on 12 January 2019

Azzanation said:

Maybe Rare didn't want to give Nintendo Banjo Kazooie.

I'm sure they didn't.

Are you saying you wanted Nintendo to sell Rare off with nothing or atleast without there biggest IP?

I'm saying it was an option.

I am sure MS, Activision and other brands saw the IPs like Banjo Kazooie and that alone would have raised interests in knowing that IP was included with the purchase.

Yes, businessmen like to know what they are purchasing.

It doesn't seem like Nintendo cared and neither did Rare, 

I'm sure Nintendo cared.  They owned 49% of a valuable IP.  If the right offer were available, they likely would have kept it.

All I know is Rare wanted to be moved on and Rare as a package with all there IPs is what made the sell a lot easier.

Yes, keeping all of one's property does raise one's value.

Much like Bungie holding onto Destiny, keeping the IPs keeps the brand strong and makes it easier for others to pick them up etc. 

Yes.  IPs are worth money.

Also what would Nintendo do with Banjo Kazooie? They own so many platformers and I highly doubt they will set there big AAA Mario Team developers to make it. 

They would presumably do whatever they wished.  Maybe they do nothing like they did when they kept Eternal Darkness after the Silicon Knights breakup.  Maybe they hand it off to someone like Retro.  I'm not predicting an alternate timeline.  Also, Nintendo only has one 3D platformer.

The problem with your post is that you're stating the obvious that the Banjo-Kazooie IP had value, but ignoring that the terms of Rare's sale were at one point up for negotiation.  You falsely compared the situation to Sega leaving the console industry.  A situation where they did not own anybody anything and simply changed their business model.  In Rare's case, they had to compensate Nintendo one way or the other in order to accept a sale to another company.

Everything else is extraneous.

Last edited by NightlyPoe - on 12 January 2019

You both are missing the point here. All the talent was leaving Rare before the sale.

All Rare was good for was it's IPs.

Rare had more than Banjo (i.e. Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Jet Force Jemini). The question is why didn't Nintendo buy them up for those IPs? They could have used them during the GCN/Wii era.

Surely if you own 49% of a company you buy the other 51% for the IPs which have been good too you. I guess short term cash was what they wanted.

 

 

Cobretti2 said:
You both are missing the point here. All the talent was leaving Rare before the sale.

All Rare was good for was it's IPs.

Rare had more than Banjo (i.e. Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Jet Force Jemini). The question is why didn't Nintendo buy them up for those IPs? They could have used them during the GCN/Wii era.

Surely if you own 49% of a company you buy the other 51% for the IPs which have been good too you. I guess short term cash was what they wanted.

What is it with all this message board creep?  All I came in to say is that Rare leaving Nintendo wasn't the same as Sega quitting the console business.