Quantcast
The Nintendo Switch is generation...

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Switch is generation...

What generation is the Nintendo Switch?

Generation 8 (PS4, XBoxOne) 71 44.94%
 
Generation 9 57 36.08%
 
Generation 1 (of the hybrid era) 14 8.86%
 
I don't care...I come to VGC for the chicks 16 10.13%
 
Total:158
Shiken said:

The gamepad is nothing more than a wireless controller to a home console with a screen.

Of course it is also a controller. It also has the buttons literally on the side of the display... Just like. The Switch.

Shiken said:

The distance is no different from a PS4 or X1 controller.  It is by definition a controller that allows for off screen play.  You cannot play it without the home console being within the same range as any other home console.

The distance is irrelevant. The fact it requires a base station is also irrelevant.

The Switch requires a dock for it to be regarded as a "Hybrid device" does it not?

Shiken said:

Did the concept help with the conception of the Switch?  Probably.  But that does not make it anything more than a console with off screen play?  Not at all.  The Vita/PS4 remote play is more of a portable hybrid than the WiiU will ever be.

The Vita is a separate console, not an accessory that is included with every single Playstation 4 sold, meaning we cannot regard the Playstation 4 as a hybrid device as not every Playstation 4 came with everything out of the box. (Although, Sony would probably appreciate the extra Vita sales.)

I mean shit. There are people out there who thought the WiiU was a gamepad tablet thing for the Wii. That just says it all, right?

Shiken said:

The Switch is a Hybrid, as it can function either way and actually be taken and used effectively anywhere making it both a console and a portable as it has specific functions unique to both methods.

The WiiU is a hybrid console, it blends handheld and fixed console gaming into one form factor.

Hybrid's definition: A thing made by combining two different elements.
Aka. Hand Held and Fixed Console.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hybrid

super_etecoon said:
The WiiU is definitely not a hybrid console. It is the stop gap between home consoles and hybrid consoles, but in no way shape or form a true hybrid. The range of the WiiU's gamepad was so terrible I was forced to play in the same room as the console at all times. I'm sure if you lived in a small house or apartment the portability would be genuine in that respect, but the moment you left your house or apartment you would be essentially carrying a useless brick that wouldn't even offer basic operations like a calculator or notepad, much less a portable gaming device.

The range doesn't stop it from also having "handheld" functionality.
The fact you recognize it is as essentially a "stop gap" console that bridges home consoles and hybrid is essentially agreeing that the WiiU is a hybrid device in of itself.



Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Shiken said:

The gamepad is nothing more than a wireless controller to a home console with a screen.

Of course it is also a controller. It also has the buttons literally on the side of the display... Just like. The Switch.

Shiken said:

The distance is no different from a PS4 or X1 controller.  It is by definition a controller that allows for off screen play.  You cannot play it without the home console being within the same range as any other home console.

The distance is irrelevant. The fact it requires a base station is also irrelevant.

The Switch requires a dock for it to be regarded as a "Hybrid device" does it not?

Shiken said:

Did the concept help with the conception of the Switch?  Probably.  But that does not make it anything more than a console with off screen play?  Not at all.  The Vita/PS4 remote play is more of a portable hybrid than the WiiU will ever be.

The Vita is a separate console, not an accessory that is included with every single Playstation 4 sold, meaning we cannot regard the Playstation 4 as a hybrid device as not every Playstation 4 came with everything out of the box. (Although, Sony would probably appreciate the extra Vita sales.)

I mean shit. There are people out there who thought the WiiU was a gamepad tablet thing for the Wii. That just says it all, right?

Shiken said:

The Switch is a Hybrid, as it can function either way and actually be taken and used effectively anywhere making it both a console and a portable as it has specific functions unique to both methods.

The WiiU is a hybrid console, it blends handheld and fixed console gaming into one form factor.

Hybrid's definition: A thing made by combining two different elements.
Aka. Hand Held and Fixed Console.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hybrid

super_etecoon said:
The WiiU is definitely not a hybrid console. It is the stop gap between home consoles and hybrid consoles, but in no way shape or form a true hybrid. The range of the WiiU's gamepad was so terrible I was forced to play in the same room as the console at all times. I'm sure if you lived in a small house or apartment the portability would be genuine in that respect, but the moment you left your house or apartment you would be essentially carrying a useless brick that wouldn't even offer basic operations like a calculator or notepad, much less a portable gaming device.

The range doesn't stop it from also having "handheld" functionality.
The fact you recognize it is as essentially a "stop gap" console that bridges home consoles and hybrid is essentially agreeing that the WiiU is a hybrid device in of itself.

Switch doesn't require a dock to be a hybrid any adapter or a usb to hdmi cable can allow it to connect to a TV just fine so it's not even close to the comparison of the Wii U as the is no possible way for your Wii U to be played on the go also distance is relevant in fact in the case of portability it's very relevant as you're using a flawed and loose definition of portable. To highlight this lets take two vehicles a hovercraft and a plane one barely hovers like a inch or so off the ground while the other flies in the sky, your argument here would be like saying because the hovercraft is an inch off the ground it's flying and therefore a plane.



Generation 9 in terms of chronological sequence. Generation 8 in terms of power. Just like Wii and Wii U.The same strategy Nintendo keeps following the last 12 years. So obvious, it makes me really wonder why this conversation has come that far....



Wyrdness said:

Switch doesn't require a dock to be a hybrid any adapter or a usb to hdmi cable can allow it to connect to a TV

So what you are saying is that... All the tablets and phones that have released over the past 8~ or so years with HDMI output are Hybrid devices? Good to know.

Wyrdness said:

so it's not even close to the comparison of the Wii U as the is no possible way for your Wii U to be played on the go

You don't need to play a device "on the go" for it to be classed as a hybrid device.
A hybrid device is any device that BLENDS two concepts together... In the Wii U's case, that is a handheld tablet and a fixed console.

I literally provided the dictionary definition prior.

Wyrdness said:

also distance is relevant in fact in the case of portability

No. Distance isn't relevant. - As long as you do not have any cables that tie you down so you can move about freely.

Wyrdness said:

just fine it's very relevant as you're using a flawed and loose definition of portable.

I am also using the definition of a "hand held". - Because. You know. It's a screen you hold in your hands. Just like a Gameboy/DS.

Wyrdness said:

To highlight this lets take two vehicles a hovercraft and a plane one barely hovers like a inch or so off the ground while the other flies in the sky, your argument here would be like saying because the hovercraft is an inch off the ground it's flying and therefore a plane.

Again. I suggest you go take a look at the dictionary definitions I provided earlier and then take a better look at your example.
 



Well, I thought that I came here for the chicks, but since you ask.......

I would say that it is something entirely removed from the black-and-white of attaching it to a generation. Timing-wise, it would be something more like Generation 8.5.



Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Wyrdness said:

Switch doesn't require a dock to be a hybrid any adapter or a usb to hdmi cable can allow it to connect to a TV

So what you are saying is that... All the tablets and phones that have released over the past 8~ or so years with HDMI output are Hybrid devices? Good to know.

Wyrdness said:

so it's not even close to the comparison of the Wii U as the is no possible way for your Wii U to be played on the go

You don't need to play a device "on the go" for it to be classed as a hybrid device.
A hybrid device is any device that BLENDS two concepts together... In the Wii U's case, that is a handheld tablet and a fixed console.

I literally provided the dictionary definition prior.

Wyrdness said:

also distance is relevant in fact in the case of portability

No. Distance isn't relevant. - As long as you do not have any cables that tie you down so you can move about freely.

Wyrdness said:

just fine it's very relevant as you're using a flawed and loose definition of portable.

I am also using the definition of a "hand held". - Because. You know. It's a screen you hold in your hands. Just like a Gameboy/DS.

Wyrdness said:

To highlight this lets take two vehicles a hovercraft and a plane one barely hovers like a inch or so off the ground while the other flies in the sky, your argument here would be like saying because the hovercraft is an inch off the ground it's flying and therefore a plane.

Again. I suggest you go take a look at the dictionary definitions I provided earlier and then take a better look at your example.
 

You want to go definitions here

"handheld game console, or simply handheld console, is a small, portable self-contained video game console with a built-in screen, game controls, and speakers.[1] Handheld game consoles are smaller than home video game consoles and contain the console, screen, speakers, and controls in one unit, allowing people to carry them and play them at any time or place.[2][3]"

The Wii U's portability doesn't fall under this no matter how hard you want to loosen the definition of portable you know why? Because it's not self contained and can't be play anywhere therefore it's not a hybrid Handheld/Home Console as it can only be played at home no fallacy or loose definition you pull out will change this fact.



Wyrdness said:

You want to go definitions here

"handheld game console, or simply handheld console, is a small, portable self-contained video game console with a built-in screen, game controls, and speakers.[1] Handheld game consoles are smaller than home video game consoles and contain the console, screen, speakers, and controls in one unit, allowing people to carry them and play them at any time or place.[2][3]"

The Wii U's portability doesn't fall under this no matter how hard you want to loosen the definition of portable you know why? Because it's not self contained and can't be play anywhere therefore it's not a hybrid Handheld/Home Console as it can only be played at home no fallacy or loose definition you pull out will change this fact.

So the Wii U isn’t a hybrid because you can’t use the gamepad without the main console. So it’s a standard home console.

So logic would state that the Switch isn’t a hybrid because you can’t play with the dock without the handheld. So it’s a standard handheld console.

Hybrid is just a buzz word, I guess.

Either that or they are both hybrid consoles despite one having bigger limitations. No where is it said that for a console to be a hybrid, it has to be handheld first, home console second. Both the Wii U and Switch achieved their hybrid form factor with opposite method. One being a home console first, the second being a handheld first.

But of course, Nintendo mentioned that buzz word only for the Switch... 

Last edited by Hynad - on 28 December 2018

  • PSN: Hynad
  • NN: 3519-6016-4122
  • XBL: Hynad
  • Steam: Hynad81
Hynad said:
Wyrdness said:

You want to go definitions here

"handheld game console, or simply handheld console, is a small, portable self-contained video game console with a built-in screen, game controls, and speakers.[1] Handheld game consoles are smaller than home video game consoles and contain the console, screen, speakers, and controls in one unit, allowing people to carry them and play them at any time or place.[2][3]"

The Wii U's portability doesn't fall under this no matter how hard you want to loosen the definition of portable you know why? Because it's not self contained and can't be play anywhere therefore it's not a hybrid Handheld/Home Console as it can only be played at home no fallacy or loose definition you pull out will change this fact.

So the Wii U isn’t a hybrid because you can’t use the gamepad without the main console. So it’s a standard home console.

So logic would state that the Switch isn’t a hybrid because you can’t play with the dock without the handheld. So it’s a standard handheld console.

Hybrid is just a buzz word, I guess.

Either that or they are both hybrid consoles despite one having bigger limitations. No where is it said that for a console to be a hybrid, it has to be handheld first, home console second. Both the Wii U and Switch achieved their hybrid form factor with opposite method. One being a home console first, the second being a handheld first.

But of course, Nintendo mentioned that buzz word only for the Switch... 

Except you can play on a TV with out the dock as I mentioned earlier so your attempt at a fallacy hilariously falls apart as Switch is fully self contained, what further highlights how laughable your attempt at trying to save this sinking argument is that the definition of a hybrid would mean that the device has to fall into the definitions of both handheld and home console and guess what Wii U doesn't fall under the definition of handheld so therefore can't be an hybrid as the device is rooted to be played only in the house while Switch comfortably falls under both definitions. You have presented no argument that counters this hence the failed fallacy attempt.



Wyrdness said:
Hynad said:

So the Wii U isn’t a hybrid because you can’t use the gamepad without the main console. So it’s a standard home console.

So logic would state that the Switch isn’t a hybrid because you can’t play with the dock without the handheld. So it’s a standard handheld console.

Hybrid is just a buzz word, I guess.

Either that or they are both hybrid consoles despite one having bigger limitations. No where is it said that for a console to be a hybrid, it has to be handheld first, home console second. Both the Wii U and Switch achieved their hybrid form factor with opposite method. One being a home console first, the second being a handheld first.

But of course, Nintendo mentioned that buzz word only for the Switch... 

Except you can play on a TV with out the dock as I mentioned earlier so your attempt at a fallacy hilariously falls apart as Switch is fully self contained, what further highlights how laughable your attempt at trying to save this sinking argument is that the definition of a hybrid would mean that the device has to fall into the definitions of both handheld and home console and guess what Wii U doesn't fall under the definition of handheld so therefore can't be an hybrid as the device is rooted to be played only in the house while Switch comfortably falls under both definitions. You have presented no argument that counters this hence the failed fallacy attempt.

What a hilarious reply you laughably wrote there. Couldn’t refrain myself from chuckling at this complete display of hilarity.

I mean, seriously.

So... The Vita is a Hybrid console. Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited by Hynad - on 28 December 2018

  • PSN: Hynad
  • NN: 3519-6016-4122
  • XBL: Hynad
  • Steam: Hynad81
Hynad said:

What a hilarious reply you laughably wrote there. Couldn’t refrain myself from chuckling at this complete display of hilarity.

I mean, seriously.

So... The Vita is a Hybrid console. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ironic considering the only other person who shares your view dismissed Vita as we brought that up against both your views and even he said it doesn't fall under that as the PS3/4 is required so this leaves you hilariously on your own in trying to be funny, don't worry we all laughed at your poor attempt at posts as well here's a simple question for you, can Wii U be played anywhere as described in the definition or a portable handheld above?

Simple yes or no answer.