Quantcast
Nintendo KNOCKED out of the park on TGA!

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo KNOCKED out of the park on TGA!

Opposing view:

When everyone was expecting at least a preview of a big upcoming game (Metroid Prime 4), and at best an announcement, and all you have in return from Nintendo itself is a Smash character from a newish game, on a different platform, that no one asked for, and that only sold decently well, that's disappointment.

If they'd paired it with an announcement of Persona 5, we'd be getting somewhere.  However, this seems somewhere below announcing Cranky Kong to me.  At least Cranky wasn't the 76th character in a game.  He was a rather substantial addition to the mechanics.



Around the Network

Apparently Persona 5, a critically acclaimed game that had awards and nominations from varying groups, only really beaten for some awards by Breath of the Wild, sold 40% more on Amazon or something after the announcement of Joker being in Smash another critically acclaimed franchise that has regularly sold well above 5 million. This is a game that many have asked for on other systems only to be given the response of its exclusive.

Now I almost never care about sales unless its a means to an end. However, its rather interesting that people are attempting to downplay the influence of this.
Some of you are really here trying to frame the OP's thoughts as if it were an isolated opinion, whereas some of yours somehow represent some semblance of objectivity.
A lot of you are clamoring about Metroid this and Metroid that... How many actually bought the last Metroid game that "Everyone asked for"? Not many. And some of you are acting as if there is a factual basis as to why the newest Metroid, the one you've only seen a logo of, will sell demonstrably better.

I get that this isn't the announcement some you expected... but Nintendo never emphasized that it would be. So congrats on setting up personal, unreasonable expectations of franchises that have never sold incredibly well.
'Smash series and Persona 5 don't sell that much. Cranky Kong announcement was somehow better'. Gimme a break...



Dravenet7 said:

Apparently Persona 5, a critically acclaimed game that had awards and nominations from varying groups, only really beaten for some awards by Breath of the Wild, sold 40% more on Amazon or something after the announcement of Joker being in Smash another critically acclaimed franchise that has regularly sold well above 5 million. This is a game that many have asked for on other systems only to be given the response of its exclusive.

Did you really just come back from people expressing disappointment in Nintendo's reveal by touting that they managed to sell more PS4 software?  I'm pretty sure advertising Sony exclusives isn't Nintendo's job.

A lot of you are clamoring about Metroid this and Metroid that... How many actually bought the last Metroid game that "Everyone asked for"? Not many. And some of you are acting as if there is a factual basis as to why the newest Metroid, the one you've only seen a logo of, will sell demonstrably better.

Hence why you would think they would start hyping things up.

However, even if Metroid Prime was the dream game to see.  Other first looks at games like Bayonetta 3 would have satisfied as well.  A deeper look at Fire Emblem would have been nice.  Dropping this on the end of a first look at that Shin Megami Tensei V that we heard about almost two years ago now would have been perfect.  Or even just announcing Persona 5 itself coming to the system would have been legit.

But a new Smash character that probably 90% of Switch owners responded with "Who's that?" when fans are clambering for dozens of other characters ahead of him?  That's the definition of "meh".

It was a pretty big disappointment, and one doesn't need high expectations to hope for more when Nintendo can easily throw together a presentation that would make everyone happy.  It's not like this is E3 where you need 10 hype games or it's a failure.

'Smash series and Persona 5 don't sell that much. Cranky Kong announcement was somehow better'. Gimme a break...

I stand by Cranky being a better announcement.  He was much more integral to what was a very good game, and didn't cost you an extra $6 for the pleasure.



NightlyPoe said: 

"Did you really just come back from people expressing disappointment in Nintendo's reveal by touting that they managed to sell more PS4 software?  I'm pretty sure advertising Sony exclusives isn't Nintendo's job."


No... I came at people downplaying the influence of the announcement. I explicitly said that in the very post you're quoting and sentence after that part you responded to. If you are going to willfully omit parts of what I said to serve your argument, don't bother responding to me.

"Hence why you would think they would start hyping things up."

I never said the shouldn't hype it up. You omitted the previous sentence that set up the whole point to serve your argument yet again. I emphasized that those of you trying to downplay the OP's enthusiasm as if his opinion was reflective of the minority whilst all of yours was reflective of the majority. That could not be further from the truth and used what you ill quoted of me to prove my point.

"However, even if Metroid Prime was the dream game to see.  Other first looks at games like Bayonetta 3 would have satisfied as well.  A deeper look at Fire Emblem would have been nice.  Dropping this on the end of a first look at that Shin Megami Tensei V that we heard about almost two years ago now would have been perfect.  Or even just announcing Persona 5 itself coming to the system would have been legit."

The Bayonetta series falls into the same category as Metroid in terms of the recorded appeal and sales department vs the perceived hype that acts as if it the majority. The only one that strays from this is Fire Emblem. Fire Emblem, which already had its trailer and some form of content revealed and would be much better suited for a direct to explain it rather than a random 30-60 second trailer with little to no information given. So another completely moot point. The only thing that has any semblance of a good point is SMTV, and not by much considering they already have shown details, despite it being from a while ago. You bringing up Persona is not worth discussing because what you said next and prior betrays and defeats your point and verifies that you are being disingenuous.

"But a new Smash character that probably 90% of Switch owners responded with "Who's that?" when fans are clambering for dozens of other characters ahead of him?  That's the definition of "meh".

This re-highlights my point. Most of you in this thread, including you, either do not know what you're talking about or a feigning ignorance. Persona 5 and Joker was trending for a significant amount of time. Many Smash heavy youtubers, commentators, and the like made several predictions which included Joker. More than 90% people who reacted to this knew who he was the moment they saw him on screen. Persona 5, outside of Smash, has heavily trended and is well known. Many Switch owners have a PS4. It is laughable that you pulled out the number 90% when it is much closer to the opposite side of the ratio. But hey if you can get me a compilation of people upset by the announcement in lieu of other characters over people who loved it feel free to...

"I stand by Cranky being a better announcement.  He was much more integral to what was a very good game, and didn't cost you an extra $6 for the pleasure."

Don't care that you stand by it. People to this day joke about how bad of announcement that was. You wouldn't be able to find me more than a handful of people doing that for the Smash announcement, and could not find a single one that was well received. The very good game sentence is funny in the sense that you are attempting to make it seem that it is somehow either a bigger or better dedal/value than the Joker reveal. Its a great game. A game that costs full price on the Switch with the only added content being a new Funky Kong mode and an easter egg or too. The reception to that was also very publicly frowned upon and considered a very bad deal.

 I'll reiterate you and the others in this thread are in the minority, and you are very evidently both in denial and like to omit information.

EDIT: well that was a weird css hiccup

Last edited by Dravenet7 - on 08 December 2018

Dravenet7 said:

No... I came at people downplaying the influence of the announcement. I explicitly said that in the very post you're quoting and sentence after that part you responded to. If you are going to willfully omit parts of what I said to serve your argument, don't bother responding to me.

Looks back at post.

I don't see how I omitted anything.  But if that was your intention then I'll let it go.

I never said the shouldn't hype it up. You omitted the previous sentence that set up the whole point to serve your argument yet again. I emphasized that those of you trying to downplay the OP's enthusiasm as if his opinion was reflective of the minority whilst all of yours was reflective of the majority. That could not be further from the truth and used what you ill quoted of me to prove my point.

Looks back at post.

I think you should work on making your points clearer because I'm not following even with your explanation.  You also owe me an apology for claiming that I omit things.

This re-highlights my point. Most of you in this thread, including you, either do not know what you're talking about or a feigning ignorance. Persona 5 and Joker was trending for a significant amount of time. Many Smash heavy youtubers, commentators, and the like made several predictions which included Joker. More than 90% people who reacted to this knew who he was the moment they saw him on screen. Persona 5, outside of Smash, has heavily trended and is well known. Many Switch owners have a PS4. It is laughable that you pulled out the number 90% when it is much closer to the opposite side of the ratio. But hey if you can get me a compilation of people upset by the announcement in lieu of other characters over people who loved it feel free to...

You're putting a lot of faith into something trending for a bit.  Always an error and a silly reason to say something was good.

Yes, I pulled the 90% number out of the air.  However, the crossover of people who own Persona 5 and a Switch is likely to be small, and the game has not crossed over into the wider gaming mindshare.

Don't care that you stand by it. People to this day joke about how bad of announcement that was. You wouldn't be able to find me more than a handful of people doing that for the Smash announcement, and could not find a single one that was well received.

Yeah, that's why I used it as an example.  It was poorly received, but at least it significantly affected the game.

This was less hype.



Around the Network

Admitted I did feel this way after the Joker reveal in Smash. Nintendo's presence may have been small at the VGAs, but what they showed I felt really stuck out. UA3, which that line of games were really fun for me, and a character no one saw coming being revealed just felt really exciting and impactful. Personally, most of the other games revealed at the show didn't really stand out to me and were quickly forgotten.



 

              

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

NightlyPoe said:
Dravenet7 said:

No... I came at people downplaying the influence of the announcement. I explicitly said that in the very post you're quoting and sentence after that part you responded to. If you are going to willfully omit parts of what I said to serve your argument, don't bother responding to me.

Looks back at post.

I don't see how I omitted anything.  But if that was your intention then I'll let it go.

I never said the shouldn't hype it up. You omitted the previous sentence that set up the whole point to serve your argument yet again. I emphasized that those of you trying to downplay the OP's enthusiasm as if his opinion was reflective of the minority whilst all of yours was reflective of the majority. That could not be further from the truth and used what you ill quoted of me to prove my point.

Looks back at post.

I think you should work on making your points clearer because I'm not following even with your explanation.  You also owe me an apology for claiming that I omit things.

This re-highlights my point. Most of you in this thread, including you, either do not know what you're talking about or a feigning ignorance. Persona 5 and Joker was trending for a significant amount of time. Many Smash heavy youtubers, commentators, and the like made several predictions which included Joker. More than 90% people who reacted to this knew who he was the moment they saw him on screen. Persona 5, outside of Smash, has heavily trended and is well known. Many Switch owners have a PS4. It is laughable that you pulled out the number 90% when it is much closer to the opposite side of the ratio. But hey if you can get me a compilation of people upset by the announcement in lieu of other characters over people who loved it feel free to...

You're putting a lot of faith into something trending for a bit.  Always an error and a silly reason to say something was good.

Yes, I pulled the 90% number out of the air.  However, the crossover of people who own Persona 5 and a Switch is likely to be small, and the game has not crossed over into the wider gaming mindshare.

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[Don't care that you stand by it. People to this day joke about how bad of announcement that was. You wouldn't be able to find me more than a handful of people doing that for the Smash announcement, and could not find a single one that was well received.]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Yeah, that's why I used it as an example.  It was poorly received, but at least it significantly affected the game.

This was less hype.

Nah. This isn't gonna fly by me.

If you say you can't see something that's ONE thing. That being said, if someone says they explicitly said something, if its not there. In my still unedited post, I said downplay the influence. Literally. If you can't see that, that's on you.

However, another thing entirely is to claim that my points weren't clear and I should apologize for (accurately) accusing you of omission. Whenever I'm not clear, I always apologize and clarify because that means you read and misinterpreted whatever I said. That is not the case here. YOU SKIPPED ENTIRE SENTENCES. Sentences that illustrated my entire point for both things I was talking about. You didn't get confused. You didn't misinterpret. You SKIPPED SENTENCES. When you SKIP SENTENCES, the entire point may be lost. In this case, it very clearly was. SKIPPING SENTENCES and then commenting on anything surrounding the SKIPPED SENTENCE(S) is omission. Ergo, you omitted my point because you SKIPPED SENTENCES. Don't tell me I need to apologize because very clearly you omitted my point.

Its another thing entirely to continue omitting after I said not to. Not only that this clearly the most evident one yet. In the bold, underlined part that has multiple brackets on either side of it, you literally deleted the middle of it. THEN  you commented only on the part you didn't delete.

 

Now you may be wondering, why up until this point I haven't addressed anything else you really said in the reply. I very easily could because it is a very poor rebuttal. I'm not going to because you continue to omit what I said. I'm not going to humor someone who is feigns ignorance. I'm just writing this up to heavily explain why you're not worth having a genuine discussion over this with.



Dravenet7 said:

Nah. This isn't gonna fly by me.

Okay, rage at the harmless person on the other side of the internet.  See how that improves your life.

If you say you can't see something that's ONE thing. That being said, if someone says they explicitly said something, if its not there. In my still unedited post, I said downplay the influence. Literally. If you can't see that, that's on you.

It wasn't explicitly something else.  I read your posts and it didn't read as you intended.  You did a poor job in writing.

That is not the case here. YOU SKIPPED ENTIRE SENTENCES. 

I didn't skip anything.  I didn't see those sentences as germane.  I still don't get how one of your points was supposed to be interpreted in the way you claim to mean it even after your attempt at clarification.

Its another thing entirely to continue omitting after I said not to.

I did nothing of the sort.  I stopped quoting at the point where you changed the subject.

In the bold, underlined part that has multiple brackets on either side of it, you literally deleted the middle of it. THEN  you commented only on the part you didn't delete.

Huh?  Deleted the middle?

Copied directly from your new post:

Don't care that you stand by it. People to this day joke about how bad of announcement that was. You wouldn't be able to find me more than a handful of people doing that for the Smash announcement, and could not find a single one that was well received.

Copied directly from your old post:

Don't care that you stand by it. People to this day joke about how bad of announcement that was. You wouldn't be able to find me more than a handful of people doing that for the Smash announcement, and could not find a single one that was well received.

Yeah, exactly the same.  Don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Now you may be wondering, why up until this point I haven't addressed anything else you really said in the reply. I very easily could because it is a very poor rebuttal. I'm not going to because you continue to omit what I said. I'm not going to humor someone who is feigns ignorance. I'm just writing this up to heavily explain why you're not worth having a genuine discussion over this with.

Cool, saves me time tonight.

Last edited by NightlyPoe - on 09 December 2018