Quantcast
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Reviews! Metacritic: 93 OpenCritic: 93 Game Rankings: 93.69%

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Reviews! Metacritic: 93 OpenCritic: 93 Game Rankings: 93.69%

Will you get this game?

Yes 59 73.75%
 
No 21 26.25%
 
Total:80
Mar1217 said:
xMetroid said:

Well even if it's a port with better and more content, it should get a higher score than the previous one.

But i don't really care i'm just saying this to prove scoring is really stupid sometimes

*Looks at Mario Kart 8 reviews on IGN*

WiiU : 9

Switch : 9,3

It is inconsistent if you look at what they gave Smash.

Although, maybe the guy really do like his trophies lol.

Maybe that's what it is lmaoo.



Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
xMetroid said:

Well even if it's a port with better and more content, it should get a higher score than the previous one.

But i don't really care i'm just saying this to prove scoring is really stupid sometimes

*Looks at Mario Kart 8 reviews on IGN*

WiiU : 9

Switch : 9,3

It is inconsistent if you look at what they gave Smash.

Although, maybe the guy really do like his trophies lol.

That is one of the fucking dumbest reasons to ever doc points.



Some days I just blow up.

93-94 sounds about as you'd expect, I guess.
I'm just curious about the netcode, so I'll read some reviews about that later.

CaptainExplosion said: 
Mar1217 said: 

*Looks at Mario Kart 8 reviews on IGN*

WiiU : 9

Switch : 9,3

It is inconsistent if you look at what they gave Smash.

Although, maybe the guy really do like his trophies lol.

That is one of the fucking dumbest reasons to ever doc points.

Or as in the case of Spider-Man, "it's not revolutionizing the genre".
Works for every game, since 99.99999999999999% of them don't revolutionize their genre.

Last edited by Hiku - on 06 December 2018

95 on my own personal Opencritic settings.

I was so wrong about Nintendo this year. They had a great year, Poke'mon Let's Go was legitimately a big release. 

Just bought it.
It's downloading now😆

Don't be a robot.

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Just bought it.
It's downloading now😆

Nice!



Mar1217 said:
xMetroid said:

Well even if it's a port with better and more content, it should get a higher score than the previous one.

But i don't really care i'm just saying this to prove scoring is really stupid sometimes

*Looks at Mario Kart 8 reviews on IGN*

WiiU : 9

Switch : 9,3

It is inconsistent if you look at what they gave Smash.

Although, maybe the guy really do like his trophies lol.

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I've seen a few people in this thread make fun of IGN for the fact that it's score is lower than Smash 4's, and I think to some extent it's unfair. While this will no doubt be the definitive Smash game for 99% of people, and it will have the most content of any Smash game up to this point, I don't think it's fair to just say that any Smash game that has more content should automatically get a higher score or else the reviewer is being ridiculous. If that was the case, then Smash 7 would have a 100 score on Metacritic. That's simply not how reviewing sequels will always work. It's been four years since Smash 4, and expectations may be higher. 

There's a few things to consider: 

-Smash Ultimate has the least amount of new characters of any Smash game in history (11)

-Smash Ultimate has the least amount of new stages of any Smash game in history (4)

-Smash Ultimate is missing 4 modes (Stage Builder, Break the Target, Target Blast, Home Run) 

-Smash Ultimate's single-player content is being received as mixed, with reviewers saying World of Light is disappointing and a grind and that Spirits mode is basically just World of Light but worse

-At this point, having more characters and stages is not a huge accomplishment, that's been true for EVERY Smash sequel. The most significant achievement is bringing back every character and nearly every stage, but that's returning content. 

-Smash Ultimate doesn't have trophies 

-Expectations are not linear. Things do not just get better because there's more of it. The time and place changes the expectations. It's been four years since the last Smash game. Maybe improvement in other areas were expected.

-The reviewer is not the same person as the one who reviewed Smash 4. 

When all these things are considered, it's actually not that surprising. Smash Ultimate is better in all the key areas (movement, movesets, amount of characters and stages), but not necessarily in every other aspect. 



AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I've seen a few people in this thread make fun of IGN for the fact that it's score is lower than Smash 4's, and I think to some extent it's unfair. While this will no doubt be the definitive Smash game for 99% of people, and it will have the most content of any Smash game up to this point, I don't think it's fair to just say that any Smash game that has more content should automatically get a higher score or else the reviewer is being ridiculous. If that was the case, then Smash 7 would have a 100 score on Metacritic. That's simply not how reviewing sequels will always work. It's been four years since Smash 4, and expectations may be higher. 

There's a few things to consider: 

-Smash Ultimate has the least amount of new characters of any Smash game in history (11)

-Smash Ultimate has the least amount of new stages of any Smash game in history (4)

-Smash Ultimate is missing 4 modes (Stage Builder, Break the Target, Target Blast, Home Run) 

-Smash Ultimate's single-player content is being received as mixed, with reviewers saying World of Light is disappointing and a grind and that Spirits mode is basically just World of Light but worse

-At this point, having more characters and stages is not a huge accomplishment, that's been true for EVERY Smash sequel. The most significant achievement is bringing back every character and nearly every stage, but that's returning content. 

-Smash Ultimate doesn't have trophies 

-Expectations are not linear. Things do not just get better because there's more of it. The time and place changes the expectations. It's been four years since the last Smash game. Maybe improvement in other areas were expected.

-The reviewer is not the same person as the one who reviewed Smash 4. 

When all these things are considered, it's actually not that surprising. Smash Ultimate is better in all the key areas (movement, movesets, amount of characters and stages), but not necessarily in every other aspect. 

This is exactly what people should really start to figure out at this point. I'm just tired of seeing fans get angry at reviews because they don't line up with their own opinion. After all, reviews are essentially opinions, and different people look for different things in games and will often have very contradicting opinions about the same game. 



My Most Recent Articles:

1. Video Game Music Spotlight #2: Snow and Ice

2. History of Real-Time Strategy: The Birth (1981 - 1991)

3. Open World Games and the Problem of Scale vs. Content

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

Darashiva said:

This is exactly what people should really start to figure out at this point. I'm just tired of seeing fans get angry at reviews because they don't line up with their own opinion. After all, reviews are essentially opinions, and different people look for different things in games and will often have very contradicting opinions about the same game. 

It's especially frustrating when other franchises constantly get critiqued for essentially being the same thing over and over again, just with slightly more content. But somehow that means Smash should be more than a 9.8 because of Smash Wii U, even though it's not the same person reviewing the game.  I get that with fighting games having more content usually means a huge switch up in mechanics and play style. But I think people just need to remember that different people have different opinions, expectations, and standards. And that's fine. 



Another massive critical success on the Switch. This machine keeps pumping them out.