Quantcast
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Reviews! Metacritic: 93 OpenCritic: 93 Game Rankings: 93.69%

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Reviews! Metacritic: 93 OpenCritic: 93 Game Rankings: 93.69%

Will you get this game?

Yes 59 73.75%
 
No 21 26.25%
 
Total:80
Honestly, I'm just happy it's getting really good ratings. Can't wait to play it!

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Darashiva said:

This is exactly what people should really start to figure out at this point. I'm just tired of seeing fans get angry at reviews because they don't line up with their own opinion. After all, reviews are essentially opinions, and different people look for different things in games and will often have very contradicting opinions about the same game. 

It's especially frustrating when other franchises constantly get critiqued for essentially being the same thing over and over again, just with slightly more content. But somehow that means Smash should be more than a 9.8 because of Smash Wii U, even though it's not the same person reviewing the game.  I get that with fighting games having more content usually means a huge switch up in mechanics and play style. But I think people just need to remember that different people have different opinions, expectations, and standards. And that's fine. 

Especially as more content does in no way mean that the content is also better. It can be, but just the sheer amount of content being higher than before is a poor justification for a game being better than its predecessor.



My Most Recent Articles:

1. Video Game Music Spotlight #2: Snow and Ice

2. History of Real-Time Strategy: The Birth (1981 - 1991)

3. Open World Games and the Problem of Scale vs. Content

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

Its up to the reviewers to score it how they see fit. To the majority that skipped Wii U its not a port. And even if you had a Wii U i dont think this game fits the bill. Two completely new modes, tons of new characters, tons of new levels. To me that isnt a Port.

Darashiva said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

It's especially frustrating when other franchises constantly get critiqued for essentially being the same thing over and over again, just with slightly more content. But somehow that means Smash should be more than a 9.8 because of Smash Wii U, even though it's not the same person reviewing the game.  I get that with fighting games having more content usually means a huge switch up in mechanics and play style. But I think people just need to remember that different people have different opinions, expectations, and standards. And that's fine. 

Especially as more content does in no way mean that the content is also better. It can be, but just the sheer amount of content being higher than before is a poor justification for a game being better than its predecessor.

Yep. And diminishing returns. Smash Melee and Brawl will be the biggest changes the franchise ever had sequel-wise for the foreseeable future until we see a Smash game that really breaks up the formula in the same way those did. 

Though I still expect this to be the best Smash game for most, myself included. Something about 4 just made me not get into it as much. 



AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Darashiva said:

Especially as more content does in no way mean that the content is also better. It can be, but just the sheer amount of content being higher than before is a poor justification for a game being better than its predecessor.

Yep. And diminishing returns. Smash Melee and Brawl will be the biggest changes the franchise ever had sequel-wise for the foreseeable future until we see a Smash game that really breaks up the formula in the same way those did. 

Though I still expect this to be the best Smash game for most, myself included. Something about 4 just made me not get into it as much. 

Yeah, I'm very much looking forward to playing Smash Ultimate as well, and I have no doubt I'll enjoy it a lot. I'll just have to wait and see whether it's going to be the best game in the series or not.



My Most Recent Articles:

1. Video Game Music Spotlight #2: Snow and Ice

2. History of Real-Time Strategy: The Birth (1981 - 1991)

3. Open World Games and the Problem of Scale vs. Content

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

Around the Network
drinkandswim said:
Its up to the reviewers to score it how they see fit. To the majority that skipped Wii U its not a port. And even if you had a Wii U i dont think this game fits the bill. Two completely new modes, tons of new characters, tons of new levels. To me that isnt a Port.

Yea, I think the idea that Ultimate is a port should have died down by now. With all of this accumulation of content, I find it hard for Ultimate to be considered just a port, or deluxe or not. Its look so different in terms of gameplay whenever I see comparisons between Wii U and Ultimate. Mario Kart 8 and Deluxe are comparable, Smash 4 and Ultimate are not from a gameplay perspective, which is more than enough to convince me that Ultimate is not a port. Sure, it may not be a huge evolution or revolution, but its an incredible ensemble of characters from the Nintendo universe and from various third-parties. If someone were to tell my teenage self that Ultimate is a thing, I would have not believed you. This is something that may never happen again, especially with having to deal with third party rights (i.e., Cloud, Midgar, and his two songs being the only thing from Final Fantasy). It's like having the Dream Team, the Avengers, the Justice League, etc. There isn't anything like it outside of Project X Zone and Marvel vs. Capcom and those don't have the reach that Smash Bros. has (or MvC could have with Infinite but that kinda went sideways).



I'm actually kinda shocked there are still people out there claiming this is 'just a port',

I mean, if you're looking at it solely from the most shallow surface level and literally nothing else I guess I could see it as a compilation, Almost all of its characters are repeats from early games and even some newcomers are echo fighters. There are only 4 new stages out of the 103 in the game. So yes, when you look at it solely from a roster and stage standpoint I guess you could argue it's just a port....

But literally everything else is new, changed, missing, or drastically altered. Some modes aren't returning (Smash Run, Smash Board, Event mode (sort of), stage builder, subspace emissary, adventure mode), some stages aren't returning (Poke Floats is th eonly one I know off the top of my head), almost every fighter has had tweaks and changes to their gameplay via balancing or new moves, there are new modes and things to do, no trophies, World of Light is 30-40 hours long from what I hear, and even the returning stages/characters are heavily altered.

I do not understand how anyone could still argue that this is a port. The only argument they have (And even that's really weak) is that most of the stages/fighters are returning from prior games.

I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 3 this generation: 
Bloodborne, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III

Holy crap! Joker from Persona 5 is coming to Smash Bros!!

Mr.GameCrazy said:
Holy crap! Joker from Persona 5 is coming to Smash Bros!!

That was... totally unexpected.

Who else can we expect for future DLCs ? Maybe Scorpion from Mortal Kombat ?



Rogerioandrade said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:
Holy crap! Joker from Persona 5 is coming to Smash Bros!!

That was... totally unexpected.

Who else can we expect for future DLCs ? Maybe Scorpion from Mortal Kombat ?

Not sure, I heard a Rare character is rumoured to be announced. 

A Mortal Kombat character would be nice or even a Soul Calibre toon. But I am hoping Doom guy makes an appearance.