Quantcast
Epic Games announces Epic Games Store

Forums - PC Discussion - Epic Games announces Epic Games Store

Who is your favorite PC Digital Distributor?

Steam 15 60.00%
 
GOG 10 40.00%
 
Origin 0 0.00%
 
Uplay 0 0.00%
 
Betheseda.net 0 0.00%
 
Blizzard/Battle.net 0 0.00%
 
itch.io 0 0.00%
 
Other 0 0.00%
 
Total:25
BasilZero said:
Zoombael said:

There are 20.000~ games available on PSN and sees 150 releases weekly?

It doesn't matter how many alternatives there are, it is one market that is littered with garbage.

 

I wish PSN would have that much but unfortunately they wont see those numbers mainly because Sony refreshes PSN every generation (at least going by this gen) - hopefully the next Playstation (5) will support b/c with digital titles but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that.

 

Also ,surely you jest about the number of games coming out a week, do you honestly go through each and every thing that is released in a physical store or do you go search for something you know you want like a normal person does lol.

 

The number of alternatives do matter because you are given a choice of buying what you want, when you want and where you want just like on consoles.

The issue is that Steam has way too many games releasing all the time, without control, and it is impossible for most games to be visible and to sell more than maybe a hundred of copies. Too much crap for that. So a lot of small developers end up in danger because their games can't sell, and the quality of the games have nothing to do with it. 



Around the Network
Faelco said:

The issue is that Steam has way too many games releasing all the time, without control, and it is impossible for most games to be visible and to sell more than maybe a hundred of copies. Too much crap for that. So a lot of small developers end up in danger because their games can't sell, and the quality of the games have nothing to do with it. 

 

If you have told me that, 15 years ago - I would have believed you.

 

But we're living in a age of social media - Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, etc - make this moot.

 

Its not that there's too many games overshadowing indie titles, its that there's too many GOOD games overshadowing them.

 

When you consider a niche Japanese title that barely sells compared to AAA western studios on consoles doing better than PC indies on the same platform, I think being overshadowed should be the least of their worries.



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

BasilZero said:
Faelco said:

The issue is that Steam has way too many games releasing all the time, without control, and it is impossible for most games to be visible and to sell more than maybe a hundred of copies. Too much crap for that. So a lot of small developers end up in danger because their games can't sell, and the quality of the games have nothing to do with it. 

 

If you have told me that, 15 years ago - I would have believed you.

 

But we're living in a age of social media - Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, etc - make this moot.

 

Its not that there's too many games overshadowing indie titles, its that there's too many GOOD games overshadowing them.

 

When you consider a niche Japanese title that barely sells compared to AAA western studios on consoles doing better than PC indies on the same platform, I think being overshadowed should be the least of their worries.

 

It's not even about being overshadowed. It's that Steam listings are a complete mess filled with a lot of crap, so your chances of finding a game without looking specifically for it are almost zero. Sure, they can talk on social media, but how many "Try this great indie game" ads on social media can you see everyday?

Niche Japanese titles have a loyal audience following them closely, assuring at least a minimum level of sales, good enough to be profitable. But if you release your own indie game on Steam, it will get completely buried and forgotten in just a few hours, and you can consider yourself lucky if you get 100 sales. 



Faelco said:

 

It's not even about being overshadowed. It's that Steam listings are a complete mess filled with a lot of crap, so your chances of finding a game without looking specifically for it are almost zero. Sure, they can talk on social media, but how many "Try this great indie game" ads on social media can you see everyday?

Niche Japanese titles have a loyal audience following them closely, assuring at least a minimum level of sales, good enough to be profitable. But if you release your own indie game on Steam, it will get completely buried and forgotten in just a few hours, and you can consider yourself lucky if you get 100 sales. 

 

Then that means they need a new marketing team or a different approach to the development of the game.

Its not the store's responsibility to freely advertise a game nor is it their fault if a game under performs.

If all else fails, why not release said games on other stores such as GOG or itch.io which caters to indie titles?

There are plenty of indie titles that became popular in the same way I mentioned - titles like Freedom Planet and Cosmic Heroine have become popular yet some other indies failed? Its all about competition, marketing - blaming the store wont do shit to help you sell copies.

Hell, most of the games I heard of that I never did before was because of social media sites like YouTube, Twitter, etc  - and yet I barely frequent those sites as much as others.



    

Basil's YouTube Channel


                    

If it has similar curation to GOG, it could maybe stick around. Steam is nice, but has severe content curation issues. I don't know how anyone can tell you that the volume of games on the platform doesn't lead to good games failing. It completely destroyed the mobile game market for paid games and has lead to indies fleeing to any new platform where they can get visibility (which is why Switch was so attractive, but even Switch is getting buried with too many crappy games each week).



Around the Network
If it's not bothering to take all of Steam's pages, while also adding in as many features as Steam has, all while adding in mod support and a very beefy library selection of games, then I'm honestly not going to be interested.

I'm not interested in Discord's crappy storefront because of how it is, and I'm not interested in the likes of Ubisoft's either.

Competition is good, but only when the competition offers a very, very strong offering, and not just "oh I think this offering is better than Y offering", it's got to be the whole caboodle, and nothing less.

Also, I'm not a massive fan of companies trying to seriously fragment gaming on PC. People think indie devs need some form of special snowflake protection, but you're ultimately asking me and everyone else to jump through more hoops, paying up more, and also giving up the ease of having all my games in one place of my choosing, as well as ease of gaming in general.

                                       

All of this makes me wonder: if PC gaming becomes overly fragmented between digital distibution platforms, would we see someone rekindling physical releases on PC? No DRM, no download times, just buy the DVD and install it. Maybe it's too late for even that, but hey, one can hope.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
All of this makes me wonder: if PC gaming becomes overly fragmented between digital distibution platforms, would we see someone rekindling physical releases on PC? No DRM, no download times, just buy the DVD and install it. Maybe it's too late for even that, but hey, one can hope.

The other thing I've largely been taking notice of, the lack of mod support. Steam seems to be the only one with actual built in mod support. only 2 of Beth's games come with built in mod support, and no other client out there features modding support either.

Acti moved CoD to Battle.net, in turn it's become an always online digital coffee coaster (because it will once those servers go down), while costing nearly £60 (up to 3 times as expensive on PC as most games would go for). Beth has done this with F76 as well, so in turn, this fragmentation and style of "competition" hasn't given me any benefits at all, if anything it's made it far worse for me. 

I'm not really a fan of having to use more than up to 4 clients, and I already find 4 clients a cluttering mess. 

 

Also, another thing. People seem to forget that Tencent own a lot of Epic's shares, and so far Tencent do not have a client storefront in the West, so by default, Epic's new client could become Tencent's proxy in the West. I know how Tencent see Steam ads their enemy, and will do anything to Steal Steam's thunder (for their own gain, not the consumer's) 



                                       

At least it wil be good for devs. 88% of the revenue with even a bigger share if they use unreal engine 4 is nice.



NobleTeam360 said:
Hm, seems like there's a lot of store clients on PC as it is. Do we really need another one? And from a dev who hasn't really made any games since Gears (as far as I can recall and no, fuck Fortnite)

I believe Fortnite will stay here for years to come. F2P games can remain lucrative and kickin for 10+ years. Look at League of Legends, 10 years old and still in the top 5 biggest PC games in yearly revenue. Riot Games doesn't even need to make a new game with the money they get from LoL, even though they now are developing a new project.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 05 December 2018