Quantcast
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate League

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate League

 

We're less than a week away from the release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate now and I thought I'd try and organize a league like I did before with Smash 4 on 3DS and Wii U.

Here's how it all works: 

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate League

  • Every player starts out with 100pts, you can join at any time.
  • You can challenge only people who are within 3 ranks of you (Ex. if you're in 5th place, you can issue a challenge to users ranks 2 to 4).
  • Once a challenge is issued, it must be retained for at least 24 hours (once that period has passed without an answer the player may choose to remove the challenge and challenge someone else)
  • You can have a maximum of 2 active challenges
    Challenges have to be accepted within 3 days (or else you'll suffer a 2 pts penalty).
  • Once the challenged user accepts, both players must battle within that 3 day period (plus a 24 hour extention). Any player who does not show up (whether it be the challenger or the challenged player) will suffer a 10 point deduction
  • Challenges must be made public in the League thread as well as accepted challenges and results of the match.
  • Matches will be a best of 3 rounds, 3 stocks, 8 minutes, no items.
  • The loser of the previous round may change character and will get to chose the next stage they will battle on (counterpick). The winner must keep the character he won with.

Points

Rank Difference Win Loss
3 Higher +14 -1
2 Higher +12 -2
1 Higher +10 -4
Same +8 -6
1 Lower +6 -7
2 Lower +4 -8
3 Lower +2 -10

Philosophy

  • Everyone starts on equal footing
  • The points distribution favors activity/challenges since you can gain points quicker by challenging someone then by waiting for a challenge.
  • The lead the top player can amass isn't too big since he can only gain a maximum of 6 pts per challenge and can lose it pretty quickly but a dominant player is still rewarded for his exploits.
  • On the other end, lower ranked players don't lose pts too fast and can regain a few positions quickly with some wins.

Notes

- If you decide to join before launch, you will be expected to get the game at launch. "I don't have the game yet." won't be a valid excuse to turn down a challenge.
- Since everyone starts at 100pts, everyone will be able to challenge anyone at first but you can't issue more than two challenges at once.
- The League will officially start on December 10th to give people time to practice before the real thing (and also because I'm not available during the release weekend)
- I know the rules can sound complicated but I will be the ones doing the number crunching, all you guys need to do is play, enjoy and prove you're the best there is.
- You can join, anytime!
VGC LEAGUE DISCORD: https://discord.gg/5qeT2Q3

Rankings

RankVGC NameFriend CodePoints
1 mZuzek SW-5758-2421-1219 126 pts
2 uran10 SW-2328-5563-4997 112 pts
3 shakarak SW-0985-1668-5290 111 pts
4 TruckOSaurus SW-1907-3601-8601 110 pts
5 MTZehvor   108 pts
6 RobDX SW-7381-0673-1717
106 pts
7 JWeinCom SW-3347-1672-8217 100 pts
7 Dulfite SW-2065-4520-4052 100 pts
7 TheChalkBlock   100 pts
7 Ultrashroomz SW 0731-6937-5596 100 pts
8 derpysquirtle64 SW-6778-8451-0305 99 pts
9 Possum5454 SW-3664-9964-9777 96 pts
10 Darwinianevolution SW-6643-8347-2601 93 pts
10 AngryLittleAlchemist SW-4123-1847-5415 93 pts
11 Pachofilauri SW-0572-7390-8815 92 pts
11 animegaming SW-0608-4233-0036 92 pts
Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 19 December 2018

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Upcoming matches

MatchChallenged onAccepted onTo be played before
JWeinCom vs Dulfite Dec. 12th 2018 Dec. 12th 2018 Dec 15th 2018
derpysquirtle64 vs AngryLittleAlchemist Dec. 17th 2018 Dec. 17th 2018 Dec. 20th 2018

Challenged

MatchChallenged onTo be accepted before
- No Challenges waiting -
Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 18 December 2018

Signature goes here!

Recent matches

MatchWinnerScoreWinner points Loser points
shakarak vs derpysquirtle64 shakarak 2 - 0 + 2 - 1
MTZehvor vs mZuzek mZuzek 2 - 0 + 6 - 4
MTZehvor vs JWeincom MTZehvor 2 - 0 + 12 - 8
shakarak vs AngryLittleAlchemist shakarak 2 - 0 + 10 - 7
TruckOSaurus vs shakarak TruckOSaurus 2 - 0 + 4 - 2
TruckOSaurus vs animegaming TruckOSaurus 2 - 0 + 12 - 8
mZuzek vs RobDX mZuzek 2 - 0 + 12 - 8
RobDX vs shakarak RobDX 2 - 0 + 10 - 7
RobDX vs Pachofilauri RobDX 2 - 1 + 4 - 2
shakarak vs Pachofilauri shakarak 2 - 0 + 8 - 6
JWeinCom vs TruckOSaurus JWeinCom 2 - 1 + 8 - 6
mZuzek vs Possum5454 mZuzek 2 - 0 + 4 - 2
Possum5454 vs uran10 uran10 2 - 1 + 4 - 2
Darwinianevolution vs mZuzek mZuzek 2 - 0 + 10 - 7
mZuzek vs uran10 uran10 2 - 1 + 8 - 6
Last edited by TruckOSaurus - on 18 December 2018

Signature goes here!

Tag.

Definitely interested, but won't really have time to invest into competitive training until about a week or so after launch.



Tag, but also a couple of questions/suggestions.

What stage list are we using? Presumably (at least, I genuinely hope) not every single stage is considered legal for the purposes of this league.

Assuming players cannot come to an agreement on the stage for the first game of a set, how is the first stage to be determined? Are we using a striking process, and if so, how do we determine who bans first? (And what is the ban order?)

For counterpicking stages, does the previous game's winner not get to ban any stages at all? That seems particularly disadvantageous if one character has a particularly bad matchup against another character on a specific stage (like, say, Lucina/Marth vs. Mewtwo on Battlefield in Smash 4). I'd (personally) recommend giving the winner at least one or two bans, depending on the size of the stage list.

I'd also really recommend giving the player who won the last game the option to switch characters after the stage for the next game has been chosen. That's the ruleset adopted by most tournaments, and while I don't want to be the guy that comes in here and say "Waahhh it's different so fix it please," stages make a huge difference in how characters play, sometimes even to the point where people will change their character entirely based on what stage they're playing on. For example (using Smash 4 again), some people will deliberately pick a character with a safer recovery to make Lylat's questionable edges easier to deal with. Or, alternatively, some people will opt away from Little Mac on Battlefield because the top platform makes life really tough for him.

Other than that it looks good. Definitely interested in joining with or without these recommendations.



Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
Tag, but also a couple of questions/suggestions.

What stage list are we using? Presumably (at least, I genuinely hope) not every single stage is considered legal for the purposes of this league.

Assuming players cannot come to an agreement on the stage for the first game of a set, how is the first stage to be determined? Are we using a striking process, and if so, how do we determine who bans first? (And what is the ban order?)

For counterpicking stages, does the previous game's winner not get to ban any stages at all? That seems particularly disadvantageous if one character has a particularly bad matchup against another character on a specific stage (like, say, Lucina/Marth vs. Mewtwo on Battlefield in Smash 4). I'd (personally) recommend giving the winner at least one or two bans, depending on the size of the stage list.

I'd also really recommend giving the player who won the last game the option to switch characters after the stage for the next game has been chosen. That's the ruleset adopted by most tournaments, and while I don't want to be the guy that comes in here and say "Waahhh it's different so fix it please," stages make a huge difference in how characters play, sometimes even to the point where people will change their character entirely based on what stage they're playing on. For example (using Smash 4 again), some people will deliberately pick a character with a safer recovery to make Lylat's questionable edges easier to deal with. Or, alternatively, some people will opt away from Little Mac on Battlefield because the top platform makes life really tough for him.

Other than that it looks good. Definitely interested in joining with or without these recommendations.

All good points that I'll take into consideration. It's hard to say for stages at this point but we could start with a list a returning stages that we know will be somewhat "neutral". Would you have such a list on hand? I think we'll have a lot of stages that will become usable since we now have the option to turn stage hazards off (no Yellow Devil on Mega Man's stage yessss!).



Signature goes here!

I'll join but not right away. Ive been on-and-off on Smash 4 for like a year and a half now so im a bit rusty. probably in mid-January i can be ready to start



I'm also down for it. I enjoyed the 3DS League. Might not be able to actively participate in the first few weeks but I'll join after that.



TruckOSaurus said:

- The League will officially start on December 10th to give people time to practice before the real thing (and also because I'm not available during the release weekend)

Oh, nice. I won't be around this opening week either. Count me in, then!

Also hoping to hear a bit on stages. I don't know how close to competitive rules you want to go with here, but just for reference, this is the stage list we're using in our first local next Sunday.



TruckOSaurus said:
MTZehvor said:
Tag, but also a couple of questions/suggestions.

What stage list are we using? Presumably (at least, I genuinely hope) not every single stage is considered legal for the purposes of this league.

Assuming players cannot come to an agreement on the stage for the first game of a set, how is the first stage to be determined? Are we using a striking process, and if so, how do we determine who bans first? (And what is the ban order?)

For counterpicking stages, does the previous game's winner not get to ban any stages at all? That seems particularly disadvantageous if one character has a particularly bad matchup against another character on a specific stage (like, say, Lucina/Marth vs. Mewtwo on Battlefield in Smash 4). I'd (personally) recommend giving the winner at least one or two bans, depending on the size of the stage list.

I'd also really recommend giving the player who won the last game the option to switch characters after the stage for the next game has been chosen. That's the ruleset adopted by most tournaments, and while I don't want to be the guy that comes in here and say "Waahhh it's different so fix it please," stages make a huge difference in how characters play, sometimes even to the point where people will change their character entirely based on what stage they're playing on. For example (using Smash 4 again), some people will deliberately pick a character with a safer recovery to make Lylat's questionable edges easier to deal with. Or, alternatively, some people will opt away from Little Mac on Battlefield because the top platform makes life really tough for him.

Other than that it looks good. Definitely interested in joining with or without these recommendations.

All good points that I'll take into consideration. It's hard to say for stages at this point but we could start with a list a returning stages that we know will be somewhat "neutral". Would you have such a list on hand? I think we'll have a lot of stages that will become usable since we now have the option to turn stage hazards off (no Yellow Devil on Mega Man's stage yessss!).

I've seen a few stage lists thrown around so far, but here's my (personal) favorite from what's been tossed around.

Starters: Battlefield, FD, Pokemon Stadium 2*, Smashville, Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks: Town & City, Arena Ferox, WarioWare*, Castle Siege*

* denotes hazards off

Admittedly this may have to be changed as we find out more about the game and discover some good/bad things about stages. I'm certainly not opposed to modifying this either if people want some other stage swapped in for another (like say if you want Wily's Castle in)

Alternatively, since we have so many legal stages, I think it'd be really cool if we had a seasonal stage rotation, where different stages get swapped in to the list depending on the time of year. That way, we get an opportunity to play on all (or most) of the plethora of legal stages at some point.

As a personal aside, I'd recommend staying away from adding more Battlefield clones (Yoshi's Story/Dreamland), as well as FoD due to framerate issues that some people have reported.