Quantcast
Your thoughts on the Next Ninty Console

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your thoughts on the Next Ninty Console

I'm hearing everyone talking about PS5 and Xbox 2(?) and wanted Ninty to join the fun. Do you guys think the next console will be a switch? Or something new? I think it will have the hybrid nature intact regardless of what they call it, but what would the specs be? Any new gimmicks or just improved everything? What do you want the next gen joycons to be like? WIll there be a 1080p screen with 4k docked? I would say 1440p makes more sense but TVs don't usually come in 1440p. Do you think Ninty will have the tech to do that while being cost-effective? What gpu will they use?



Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

They shouldn't make one until 2023-2024 at earliest. When they do, just make it Switch 2. Better hardware, a few new features, still compatible with old games and controllers, done.

Of course, it's Nintendo, so they won't do that.

Edit: also, honestly I hope they don't go 4K. 1080p is absolutely fine enough in my opinion, and by not upgrading the resolution it means you can have better graphics without nearly as much power - never mind the storage issue.



Nintendo has to make sure that potential customers know that it is a new console. Naming the console will be an important task.



Whatever it is, it should not come out until 2023.

Don't cut the Switch's lifespan short, or pull support a year before it's replaced like the Wii.

Give it a long and full cycle, like Sony does with its consoles, or Microsoft since the 360.

(They should however do multiple hardware revisions of the original Switch over the next 5 years)

Last edited by curl-6 - on 27 November 2018

I don't care one bit for portability, so console I would want will not happen.
Switch 2 is most likely.



Around the Network

I feel they absolutely nailed it with this one, and it would be a mistake to run away from the 10-year plan they have discussed. A Switch 2 is the only thing of interest for me right now. The usual upgrades - such as the most recently released NVidia chips. Given the architecture, software should run a lot better on updated hardware, and newer (and or upgraded software) can use tiered versions similar to mobile and PC tiers.  Improved components, such as a gorilla glass screen, would be welcome; this wouldn't be irregular considering Apple and Samsung products have established the standard, even Nintendo has done so with upgraded consoles (both home and handheld).

And the whole "People never knew the Wii U was a new console" thing was a complete myth made up by concern trolls. The myth was further propagated by system warriors on the Wii U side attempting to fabricate a reason as to why the Wii U sold so poorly; they couldn't accept it was not a compelling product.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 27 November 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Eagle367 said:

WIll there be a 1080p screen with 4k docked? I would say 1440p makes more sense but TVs don't usually come in 1440p. Do you think Ninty will have the tech to do that while being cost-effective? What gpu will they use?

TV's don't need to support 1440P.
The built-in screen could and should be a 1440P display.

GPU wise... It really depends on what nVidia has cooked up, but it seems like they are stepping away from the mobile game.
So perhaps ADRENO might be something they would look at.

To be fair though, the Switch basically takes the best aspects of the WiiU (Off-screen gaming) and Wii (Motion Controls), not sure how they could "revolutionize" things any farther though, other than iterative hardware updates.

mZuzek said:

Edit: also, honestly I hope they don't go 4K. 1080p is absolutely fine enough in my opinion, and by not upgrading the resolution it means you can have better graphics without nearly as much power - never mind the storage issue.

Resolution itself has absolutely no affect on storage.
PC games from 20 years ago like Half Life 1 can fit on a CD, yet run at 4k.

Everything of mine is 1440P or better these days, rather not make a step backwards, the poor resolution display on the Switch is what is ultimately holding me back from making a snap purchase.

And just because the higher resolution is available, doesn't mean developers are obligated to use it either. - Many Switch games are under 720P.

curl-6 said:

Whatever it is, it should not come out until 2023.

Don't cut the Switch's lifespan short, or pull support a year before it's replaced like the Wii.

Give it a long and full cycle, like Sony does with its consoles, or Microsoft since the 360.

(They should however do multiple hardware revisions of the original Switch over the next 5 years)

I think comparing the Switch to the likes of fixed consoles does a little bit of disservice.
The Switch will age much more poorly than the Xbox One or Playstation 4, that's just because of Nintendo's hardware decisions.

But if they can keep it around for a long time like the 3DS and sell it at a low price point whilst releasing a more premium device in say... 4 years time, then I am all for it.





--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

There will be no point in going away from the hybrid. Mobile SOCs are only getting better and that's the way it'll go from here. But who knows, maybe they can't take releasing a new console without trying to reinvent the wheel and they're gonna force a stupid gimmick on it.

What I can definitely see is a built in camera for AR stuff, though that could already happen with a Switch refresh very soon.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said: 

 

curl-6 said:

Whatever it is, it should not come out until 2023.

Don't cut the Switch's lifespan short, or pull support a year before it's replaced like the Wii.

Give it a long and full cycle, like Sony does with its consoles, or Microsoft since the 360.

(They should however do multiple hardware revisions of the original Switch over the next 5 years)

I think comparing the Switch to the likes of fixed consoles does a little bit of disservice.
The Switch will age much more poorly than the Xbox One or Playstation 4, that's just because of Nintendo's hardware decisions.

But if they can keep it around for a long time like the 3DS and sell it at a low price point whilst releasing a more premium device in say... 4 years time, then I am all for it.

I guess that's the thing; the 3DS aged like a banana left in the sun, yet they still gave it 6 years before they replaced it. People don't buy the Switch for its graphical capabilities so it won't matter so much if it falls further behind.



Pemalite said:
Eagle367 said:

WIll there be a 1080p screen with 4k docked? I would say 1440p makes more sense but TVs don't usually come in 1440p. Do you think Ninty will have the tech to do that while being cost-effective? What gpu will they use?


The built-in screen could and should be a 1440P display.

To be fair so big resolution don't have real benefit of screen of size of around 6". 1080p would be well enough, also its point that we talking about full console 3D games runing on small device, so they need to paid attention to battery life and heating, and higher resolution means lower battery life and more heating. If you want to say but phones already have 2K or even 4K resolutions, phones are totally different thing, they constantly competing with each other to include better specs even half of them dont make too much sense of such a small devices, phones dont play full console 3D games and most of mobile games dont even support highest resolution on phones, also phones with best specs are like 3x more expansive than Switch.

Saying that, who knows how market will change and how much strong mobile chips we will have in around 5 years (when we can realistically expect Switch 2), just from current point 1080p resolution sounds like safe bet.

 

curl-6 said: 
Pemalite said: 

 

I think comparing the Switch to the likes of fixed consoles does a little bit of disservice.
The Switch will age much more poorly than the Xbox One or Playstation 4, that's just because of Nintendo's hardware decisions.

But if they can keep it around for a long time like the 3DS and sell it at a low price point whilst releasing a more premium device in say... 4 years time, then I am all for it.

I guess that's the thing; the 3DS aged like a banana left in the sun, yet they still gave it 6 years before they replaced it. People don't buy the Switch for its graphical capabilities so it won't matter so much if it falls further behind.

I agree, also worth mentiony that 3DS wasn't impressive at all even on launch, while Switch is quite impressive, and with almost certain that we will have few revisions that will boost hardware at least like we saw with New 3DS and that Switch probably not have any competition on market (and even if it does Switch will again have Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Mario, SPlatoon, Zelda, MK, Smash Bros..), Switch we will not have any problem until Switch 2.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 27 November 2018