Quantcast
Does anyone miss the color booklets with character bios and story info from the 90s?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does anyone miss the color booklets with character bios and story info from the 90s?

Do you miss the high quality instruction booklets from the 90s?

Yes, greatly. 29 82.86%
 
No, you are reaching here. 0 0.00%
 
Who cares? 1 2.86%
 
Nostalgia got the best of... 5 14.29%
 
Total:35
mZuzek said:
Yes.

However, it also makes the transition to digital so much easier. Digital is better in a variety of ways, where normally the only advantage of buying physical would be the stuff you get. But if all I'm getting is a cheap box with nothing in it but a disk (or cartridge), eh... digital it is.

I still have yet to see what digital brings as an advantage other than save you from the perils of having to drive yourself to the store...but I will agree that getting an empty box with a card dramatically reduces collector's value and the value of the game package as a whole. Since I already own physical copies of Skyrim for 360 and PS4 I will probably go digital on the Switch version though....dont want to drive to the store...and it's on sale right now lol



Around the Network
pastro243 said:
Last month I got soul calibur 6, opened it and there was nothing. I looked at my cousin and we both talked about what a neat thing it was to buy a new game and read the manual and watch the ilustrations and stuff, even if they weren't in color

This is the same feeling I get Everytime I open a Switch game mostly. 



SammyGiireal said:
mZuzek said:
Yes.

However, it also makes the transition to digital so much easier. Digital is better in a variety of ways, where normally the only advantage of buying physical would be the stuff you get. But if all I'm getting is a cheap box with nothing in it but a disk (or cartridge), eh... digital it is.

I still have yet to see what digital brings as an advantage other than save you from the perils of having to drive yourself to the store...but I will agree that getting an empty box with a card dramatically reduces collector's value and the value of the game package as a whole. Since I already own physical copies of Skyrim for 360 and PS4 I will probably go digital on the Switch version though....dont want to drive to the store...and it's on sale right now lol

> No need to actually go to a store to buy the games
> No need to rely on availability (big deal over here in the 3rd world)
> No need to get your ass up your chair to switch between games when playing
> Usually cheaper, sometimes by a large margin
> Less stuff lying around for no reason (I guess some people like this, though)
> No damage risk (I lost a couple of Xbox 360 games over this, and I wasn't careless at all)



I remember back in the NES days, while all games had manuals, some were kind of crappy and some were awesome. Like the original Zelda game came with both a manual describing the story and also a map of most of the world and some possible hints for the beginning of the game if you needed it. All of these inserts are there to get you excited about the game and immersed in the game world. And also the games with the crappy manuals were kind of an indication that you were going to play a crappy game, because the devs didn't really care.

Now it's like none of them really care. PS4 games put in a token slip of paper that basically means nothing and Switch games don't even have that. I know all of this is to save on costs, but they've forgotten that their real job is to entertain the people playing their games. Instead they want to squeeze out every cent.



I own almost 200 booklets



Around the Network

What I miss more than the booklets is the ritual of going to the store to see what new games were available, reading the back of the boxes, and making purchase decisions on the spot. Now I know everything coming several months or more before launch. I read reviews to determine what I want to buy. The backs of boxes show nothing, most of the time.

In reality, I know that the current way is better. Still, I long for the days of popping in a cartridge and knowing little of what I was about to play.



VAMatt said:
What I miss more than the booklets is the ritual of going to the store to see what new games were available, reading the back of the boxes, and making purchase decisions on the spot. Now I know everything coming several months or more before launch. I read reviews to determine what I want to buy. The backs of boxes show nothing, most of the time.

In reality, I know that the current way is better. Still, I long for the days of popping in a cartridge and knowing little of what I was about to play.

Wow this is such a good post that it could be a thread in itself. Back in the 90s I had 3 diff mag subscriptions EGM, GamePro, and Informer. But I used to love to go to EB while my mom was in the mall and I would spend an hour or more sometimes doing just that scouting the back of the cases in order to decide what game to purchase. Magical times...



I thank god for the internet every day, as do the trees.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
I thank god for the internet every day, as do the trees.

^That.

Altough I would enjoy official digital manuals readable from the console UI, especially with some effort in the form and a few useless yet nice info about the game universe.



Side gril is best gril

I don't miss them for new games, with the internet and all but I keep the ones I care for most. Mgs1's booklet is all I really care about though. As long as I have that double disk case and that book along with the game disk, I don't need anything else from the ps1 era.



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.