Quantcast
5 years of PS4 - let's celebrate

Forums - Sony Discussion - 5 years of PS4 - let's celebrate

Keiji said:
VAMatt said:

Yeah, I already granted that 120 million is realistic.  

With that said, I do think that 120 million is pretty close to the correct lifetime total.  Sales will begin declining noticably next year, almost certainly. A price cut will help, of course. As will any new big games. But, big games six years into a generation don't move consoles like they do early in the generation.  Most of the buyers of those games already have a PS4.  

We do have a bit of an unknown factor this generation that we haven't had in the past. That's the mid generation upgrades. Certainly many people have, and will continue to upgrade from regular PS4 to a Pro.  I tend to think that that number will fall off pretty quickly though, as the people that would upgrade to a pro are also likely the ones that want to be in early in the next generation. So, presumably they would not buy a Pro if they expect a PS5 the next year. Nevertheless, the existence of the pro probably does help the lifetime sales numbers of the PS4.

This all of course assumes that PS5 is coming in 2020. If it doesn't come until 2021, the number will certainly be substantially higher.

Friendly bet ? I say 140M total Lifetime.

I say 130M+  :)     easy!  This time will be a different situation from PS3/PS4.  

 PS5 will be more expensive on Launch compared to PS4, and PS4 at 199 euro will sell good for a longer time VS PS3 (when PS4 launched.)  

 I'm ready to place a bet with everybody ;)

Last edited by Nate4Drake - on 03 December 2018

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
131.5 LT, assuming PS5, a clear new generation, launches in 2020. Loser changes their Avatar to poop emoji for 3 months.

Next year will be especially interesting for PS4-owners: Kingdom Hearts 3, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreath Stranding, Resident Evil 2 Remake, The Last of Us 2, Shenmue 3, Granblue Fantasy, Devil may Cry 5, new Dead or Alive, One Piece World Seekers, Jump Force, Left Alive, Tales of Vesperia, Days Gone and so many more new games :)



Fantastic experiences: God of War, Dragon Quest 11, Detroit Become Human, Red Dead Redemption 2 & Spiderman. January 2019: Kingdom Hearts 3, Tales of Vesperia & Resident Evil 2 Remake for PS4 :)

VAMatt said:
131.5 LT, assuming PS5, a clear new generation, launches in 2020. Loser changes their Avatar to poop emoji for 3 months.

Lol no. Friendly bet.

I say 131.5 LT too



Favorite games of the generation : Detroit Become Human, The Last Of Us Remastered, Metal Gear Solid V The Definitive Experience, God Of War, GTA V.

If PS5 is BC, PS4 sales will nose dive.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
If PS5 is BC, PS4 sales will nose dive.

Nah. It'll be, at most, $199 then. Possibly $149 near the end. That'll help alleviate much of the decline YOY.



Keiji said:
VAMatt said:
131.5 LT, assuming PS5, a clear new generation, launches in 2020. Loser changes their Avatar to poop emoji for 3 months.

Lol no. Friendly bet.

I say 131.5 LT too

Okay, friendly bet it is.

If anyone on here wants to do the 💩 Avatar bet, let me know.



thismeintiel said:
Random_Matt said:
If PS5 is BC, PS4 sales will nose dive.

Nah. It'll be, at most, $199 then. Possibly $149 near the end. That'll help alleviate much of the decline YOY.

Yes, and majority of people who buy a cheap PS4 with a big "catalogue" are not the same than those who buy a brand new console.



Favorite games of the generation : Detroit Become Human, The Last Of Us Remastered, Metal Gear Solid V The Definitive Experience, God Of War, GTA V.

Damn 5 years passed fast.

KazumaKiryu said:
Next year will be especially interesting for PS4-owners: Kingdom Hearts 3, Ghost of Tsushima, Dreath Stranding, Resident Evil 2 Remake, The Last of Us 2, Shenmue 3, Granblue Fantasy, Devil may Cry 5, new Dead or Alive, One Piece World Seekers, Jump Force, Left Alive, Tales of Vesperia, Days Gone and so many more new games :)

TLOU2 and Ghost Of Tsushima are unlikely to release next year.