Quantcast
WATCH LIVE: President Trump holds 'MAGA' rally in Kentucky

Forums - Politics Discussion - WATCH LIVE: President Trump holds 'MAGA' rally in Kentucky

SuaveSocialist said:

Not sure who the “you guys” and “your” refers to, but I can agree with your closing statement.  However, I would add “strong, capable leadership” to the list.  With 22 senior-level positions vacant or temporarily filled, leadership is not strong. With those positions to be filled at Beloved Leader’s choosing, it surely won’t be capable.

I was referring to our firefighting organizations.
We had personnel flown from here over to California to assist and train some of your guys.
To say that some aspects were extremely uncoordinated is an understatement... And that issue starts from the very top.

SpokenTruth said:

Your Cat 5 is our Cat 3.  We don't even classify it as a hurricane until greater than 119 km/h (74 mph) which is a Cat 3 on the Australian scale.  Lower speed storms are just called Tropical Storms here.

You are wrong. Hurricans and Cylones are the same thing, they just differ in the geographical location that they spawn in.
Some outlets use the exact same Saffir-Simpson scale as the Americans, so it's easy to compare.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir%E2%80%93Simpson_scale#Category_5

Granted some weather outlets will use a different scale here in Australia which will muddy things, but they usually make mention of it.

The main difference is the sustained wind speed. On the Australian scale it's a sustained wind speed of 3 minutes, rather than 1 minute on the Saffir scale.
Thus... Averages are likely to differ due to the difference in sampling resolution.


SpokenTruth said:

The other issues are that coastal Queensland is very sparsely populated outside of the southeast region (Brisbane, Gold Coast, etc...) and the terrain elevates quickly.  By that I mean it's not filled with low lying plains directly against the coast which reduces damage by storm surges.

The main benefit is actually our building codes.
In fire prone areas, we don't build homes out of pure wood like they did in California. (There were entire swathes of land just populated with brick fireplaces and nothing else after the fire front had passed.)

And in Cyclone prone areas we tend to build homes out of more durable materials.
Population density does play a part in it, but considering how well our homes and infrastructure tends to hold up in general... Well. You get the idea.
Not every populated area is in an elevated area.

SpokenTruth said:

I'm not saying we don't need better building codes but these aren't just average storms.

Category 3 is an average storm.

Immersiveunreality said:

What got you into doing work like this?

It beats sitting down all day in an office. :P



Around the Network
Pemalite said:
SpokenTruth said:

Your Cat 5 is our Cat 3.  We don't even classify it as a hurricane until greater than 119 km/h (74 mph) which is a Cat 3 on the Australian scale.  Lower speed storms are just called Tropical Storms here.

You are wrong. Hurricans and Cylones are the same thing, they just differ in the geographical location that they spawn in.
Some outlets use the exact same Saffir-Simpson scale as the Americans, so it's easy to compare.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffir%E2%80%93Simpson_scale#Category_5

Granted some weather outlets will use a different scale here in Australia which will muddy things, but they usually make mention of it.

The main difference is the sustained wind speed. On the Australian scale it's a sustained wind speed of 3 minutes, rather than 1 minute on the Saffir scale.
Thus... Averages are likely to differ due to the difference in sampling resolution.


SpokenTruth said:

The other issues are that coastal Queensland is very sparsely populated outside of the southeast region (Brisbane, Gold Coast, etc...) and the terrain elevates quickly.  By that I mean it's not filled with low lying plains directly against the coast which reduces damage by storm surges.

The main benefit is actually our building codes.
In fire prone areas, we don't build homes out of pure wood like they did in California. (There were entire swathes of land just populated with brick fireplaces and nothing else after the fire front had passed.)

And in Cyclone prone areas we tend to build homes out of more durable materials.
Population density does play a part in it, but considering how well our homes and infrastructure tends to hold up in general... Well. You get the idea.
Not every populated area is in an elevated area.

SpokenTruth said:

I'm not saying we don't need better building codes but these aren't just average storms.

Category 3 is an average storm.

But you do use the Australia intensity scale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone_scales

Even your official Bureau of Meteorology uses it.
http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/about/intensity.shtml

 

And no article I researched regarding storm intensity in Queensland used the Saffir-Simpson scale, only the Australia scale.

So again, Queensland has never even been hit by a Saffir-Simpson Cat 5 storm.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

I may watch some of it later today (if anything interesting happens).



SpokenTruth said:

But you do use the Australia intensity scale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone_scales

Even your official Bureau of Meteorology uses it.
http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/about/intensity.shtml

 

And no article I researched regarding storm intensity in Queensland used the Saffir-Simpson scale, only the Australia scale.

So again, Queensland has never even been hit by a Saffir-Simpson Cat 5 storm.

Let me reiterate. Not all outlets in Australia use the Australian intensity scale. - And in instances when they don't, they make mention of it.
I am also not in Queensland, this is an entire continent you know.

Are you sure there has never been a Category 5 saffir-equivalent Cyclone in Australia? ;)

Cyclone Mahina.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Mahina
260km/h at 1 minute sustained resolution.

I also suggest you read this, it compares the scales.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone_scales#Comparisons_across_basins

Last edited by Pemalite - on 17 October 2018

Pemalite said:
SpokenTruth said:

But you do use the Australia intensity scale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone_scales

Even your official Bureau of Meteorology uses it.
http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/about/intensity.shtml

 

And no article I researched regarding storm intensity in Queensland used the Saffir-Simpson scale, only the Australia scale.

So again, Queensland has never even been hit by a Saffir-Simpson Cat 5 storm.

Let me reiterate. Not all outlets in Australia use the Australian intensity scale. - And in instances when they don't, they make mention of it.
I am also not in Queensland, this is an entire continent you know.

Are you sure there has never been a Category 5 saffir-equivalent Cyclone in Australia? ;)

Cyclone Mahina.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Mahina
260km/h at 1 minute sustained resolution.

I also suggest you read this, it compares the scales.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone_scales#Comparisons_across_basins

I thought you were in Queensland based off the following statement:

Pemalite said:

With that in mind... Queensland gets hit by several Cyclones (Aka. Hurricanes) a year, we manage to avoid a ton of death and destruction and hysteria, even with Category 5 storms.

And I missed Cyclone Mahina because the bom.gov.au site only went back 100 years.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Around the Network

ORANGE MAN BAD