Quantcast
Retro talk: SW: Shadows of the Empire

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retro talk: SW: Shadows of the Empire

SW: Shadows of the Empire (N64): Overrated? Underrated?

Overrated 0 0.00%
 
Underrated 4 50.00%
 
Justly Rated 3 37.50%
 
Never played it 1 12.50%
 
Total:8
S.Peelman said:
Shadows of the Empire kicked *ss. That’s all I have to say really, it was one of my favorite N64 games.

Agreed. I spent tons of hours playing it.



Around the Network

From what I remember, I really liked the game. I say it's worthy of a HD remake.



Fun to read your memories of it.

I was ready to love it when I first played. Pretty sure I rented it around launch. I judged it not on its Star Wars story, which I later read the book and absolutely loved, but on its controls. The graphics were great! I was so excited when I started playing. But immediately I felt like I super sucked at it. Granted, I’m not the competitive type of gamer, I play for fun, but this one kicked my ass in the first level. I decided it wasn’t my poor skills but the terrible aiming, walking, and health system.

It’s one of those games that I really wished I was good at. I wanted to experience all of the levels without using cheat codes to get there (which there were I believe). I just couldn’t bear the pain of sucking that bad. After I read the novel in 2000, I went looking for it but didn’t find it. Finally came across an emulator on my jacked original Xbox and decided it had aged too poorly to give a second chance. This would be a game I’d sit three and was someone else play, like at a friend’s.

I wish Nintendo would fund great concepts like this on switch now. N64 was a pain to make games for from what I heard.



snyps said:
Fun to read your memories of it.

I was ready to love it when I first played. Pretty sure I rented it around launch. I judged it not on its Star Wars story, which I later read the book and absolutely loved, but on its controls. The graphics were great! I was so excited when I started playing. But immediately I felt like I super sucked at it. Granted, I’m not the competitive type of gamer, I play for fun, but this one kicked my ass in the first level. I decided it wasn’t my poor skills but the terrible aiming, walking, and health system.

It’s one of those games that I really wished I was good at. I wanted to experience all of the levels without using cheat codes to get there (which there were I believe). I just couldn’t bear the pain of sucking that bad. After I read the novel in 2000, I went looking for it but didn’t find it. Finally came across an emulator on my jacked original Xbox and decided it had aged too poorly to give a second chance. This would be a game I’d sit three and was someone else play, like at a friend’s.

I wish Nintendo would fund great concepts like this on switch now. N64 was a pain to make games for from what I heard.

From what I have read in interviews this was one of the first real 3-D games in 3rd person ever, and they had a serious deadline so a lot of levels got cut out from the final version. It was developed with a prototype controller because Nintendo didn't want anyone knowing what ideas they were bringing into the market with their new controller. Maybe all that had something to do with the lack of fine tunning in the game. I only owned those two games for a while until I got Turok and Star Fox so I got proficient at SotE but there was certainly a lot of dying and trial and error. There was no Google in those old days and strategy guides were expensive .



Aquietguy said:
From what I remember, I really liked the game. I say it's worthy of a HD remake.

Maybe Disney will have it done, and hopefully NOT BY EA.



Some days I just blow up.

Around the Network

I actually liked this game a lot. I was very young at the time playing it as well and I remember it being hard. I enjoyed the story, it was a very good spin off from the main characters and fitted right into the story line of Empire Strikes Back. Aside from the controls which I got use to, the game for me sits in between a 7 and 8. That space battle at the end was pretty fun especially at the time.



It was an average game even for its time. Its first level (Hoth) was the highlight and everything after that was worse.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
It was an average game even for its time. Its first level (Hoth) was the highlight and everything after that was worse.

I wouldn't say that, but trying to fight a Wumpa in this game? Yikes!!



Some days I just blow up.

Azzanation said:
I actually liked this game a lot. I was very young at the time playing it as well and I remember it being hard. I enjoyed the story, it was a very good spin off from the main characters and fitted right into the story line of Empire Strikes Back. Aside from the controls which I got use to, the game for me sits in between a 7 and 8. That space battle at the end was pretty fun especially at the time.

I agree that last Level was memorable, back in 1996-1997 it was a very fun experience.



RolStoppable said:
It was an average game even for its time. Its first level (Hoth) was the highlight and everything after that was worse.

I think it was given it flaws a 6-7 game. The train level while hard was to me a highlight. Playing Uncharted 2 the Remaster a few days ago reminded me of that level during the epic train section. I am not sure but SotE might have been the first game to feature a train hoping section. It was a new experience to me.