Quantcast
Is Nintendo Switch really a success?

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is Nintendo Switch really a success?

I would describe the N64 as having been a "middling success" and the Switch will likely outsell the N64 in its first two years on the market.

With regards to last-gen, the 3DS did sell well but don't forget that Nintendo had to make huge price-cuts to kick start it and Nintendo also made almost no money on Wii U sales due to the outdated custom-tech in the gamepad. The Switch is a legitimate success because it had a strong launch and is sustaining strong sales a price-point that Nintendo can make money on.

I would describe the Switch as a definite and strong success. Maybe not as insane as the Wii was but I think that the Switch may have longer legs and stamina than the Wii.



Around the Network

There is punishment for short/1 word answers... but the only replies to this thread should all be a single word, has 3 letters in it, 1 vowel, 2 consonants, NOP. Especially given its failure to have outsold the ps4 already even though it's beating it so heavily in Japan that clearly means in the EU and US regions the switch has sold -60million units in the last 18 months, it really is a testament to how much the world hates Nintendo and wants them to go mobile/3rd party/free to play.

I mean... I think the world is still reeling from the weak E3 show... no live broadcast, no artsy lute concerts mid presentation and no gears of war, what were they thinking, it's WiiU all over again.



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

curl-6 said:
Arminillo said:

=_=;;

Gamecube and Wii both had better libraries than N64, what are you smoking.

Wii yes, albeit barely. Gamecube, fuck no. That system's first party lineup sucked by Nintendo standards.

??? It had Twilight Princess and Windwaker, Melee, Fzero GX, Fire Emblem POR, Metroid Prime 1 + 2, Pikmin, Thousand Year Door, Double Dash, Luigis Mansion, 1080, Animal Crossing, Pokemon Colo/XD, Baten Kaitos, Custom Robo... It had AMAZING first party games.

PLUS it had good 3rd party like Soul Calibur, Rogue Squadron, Tales of Symphonia, RE4, Beyond Good and Evil, Timesplitters, Skies of Arcadia. It actually had RPGS and fighters, which N64 had like 5 of combined.



Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!


Arminillo said:
curl-6 said:

Wii yes, albeit barely. Gamecube, fuck no. That system's first party lineup sucked by Nintendo standards.

??? It had Twilight Princess and Windwaker, Melee, Fzero GX, Fire Emblem POR, Metroid Prime 1 + 2, Pikmin, Thousand Year Door, Double Dash, Luigis Mansion, 1080, Animal Crossing, Pokemon Colo/XD, Baten Kaitos, Custom Robo... It had AMAZING first party games.

PLUS it had good 3rd party like Soul Calibur, Rogue Squadron, Tales of Symphonia, RE4, Beyond Good and Evil, Timesplitters, Skies of Arcadia. It actually had RPGS and fighters, which N64 had like 5 of combined.

See most of those games were quite weak in my opinion. Twilight Princess, F-Zero GX, and Prime 1-2 were great, and Luigi's Mansion was decent, but the rest, meh.



While others have already addressed each "exhibit" already, I wanted to address Exhibit A in more detail.

First off, I don't agree with the whole idea that the Switch needs to sell as much or more than the Wii U and 3DS combined. Home consoles and handhelds are different beasts. Handhelds are typically much cheaper than home consoles. They are also limited to one user, as opposed to home consoles where a single device can support local multiplayer. Because of there, there are likely to be many 3DS-owning households that own more than one 3DS (and don't forget about special editions that people might also buy). Furthermore, there was almost certainly some overlap between Wii U owners and 3DS owners. The Switch is a hybrid, a home console with limited handheld capabilities, combining aspects of both. Its home console aspects allow a single unit to be used by multiple players, unlike a pure handheld. It is affordable for a home console, though expensive for a handheld. The 3DS, though it had a high launch price of $250/¥25,000, it was reduced to $170/¥15,000 just a few months after launch. The 3DS therefore had a massive price advantage over the still $300/¥30,000 Switch.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's take a look at the sales data.

In the U.S., the Switch is handily outpacing the 3DS,. In fact, it's already starting to outpace combined Wii U + 3DS sales, so here in the States it actually is passing that arbitrary goalpost for "success." It is already one of the more successful consoles in the history of the U.S. market. While it hasn't hit the "god-tier" sales of the PS2, Wii, or GBA (the latter of which over-performed mightily in the U.S. compared to Japan and Europe), it has done quite well by any other measure:

 

In Japan, the Switch clearly benefits from having handheld capability. Compared to most other home consoles of the past 20 years, the Switch had an outstanding first year, and is doing great in its second. It's not doing quite as well as the PS2 did, but the PS2 is the best-selling console ever, so again, not a huge strike against it, especially considering the state of the home console market in Japan post-Gen 6. It also didn't start off quite as well as the Wii, but the Wii was extremely front-loaded in Japan, and the Switch is now closing the gap, with sales this quarter exceeding what the Wii did in Q3 2008 by a fairly wide margin, and the Wii was all downhill from here at this point in its life in Japan. The Wii pulled less than 2.9M units in Japan in 2008, a total that the Switch will almost certainly surpass by a few hundred thousand this year.

Compared to other handhelds in the noticeably handheld-friendly Japanese market, the Switch has spent the past year averaging better than the GBA, though isn't doing as well as the 3DS. However, we need to keep in mind that the 3DS was posting massive numbers for the 2011-2013 period, some of the best in the history of the Japanese market (the 3DS's 2012 performance in particular was the third-best year for any single system, after the DS's showings in 2006 & 2007), and it's the #3 best-selling system ever there after the DS and Game Boy. It's also worth pointing out that the 3DS was also a lot cheaper than the Switch. The 3DS started off at ¥25,000, receiving a drop to ¥15,000 a few months later (with the 3DS XL launching at ¥19,000 in 2012), and that was the point where the 3DS kicked into high gear. The Switch at ¥30k was actually doing better than the 3DS was at ¥25k. The Switch is doing quite well considering its price and the lack of games that are massive system-sellers for Nintendo handhelds. Once it gets a price drop, Gen VII Pokemon, and maybe a hardware revision (pure handheld with longer battery life, maybe?), it should do even better.

As for Europe, the Switch is, like in the U.S., not posting PS2/Wii/PS4 monster-sized sales, but if VGC numbers are any indication it is still handily outpacing the 3DS and PSP, and is even coming pretty damn close to combined 3DS+Wii U sales. Shipment data also indicates the Switch is outpacing the GBA by a fair margin. Overall, it will likely end up one of the best-selling non-PlayStation consoles ever in the region.

In conclusion, I think it's safe to say that the Switch is a success so far.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 30 September 2018

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
DélioPT said:

BIG  as in, COD, Battlefield, RDR 2, GTA, Destiny, etc..

Exactly, Switch will fail without super-massive AAA games such as these, that's why it's selling worse than the Wii U, since the Wii U at least had COD.

I don't think i mentioned failure of any kind.

What i said still stands: it hasn't gotten those big titles, despite the huge success of the console and the fact that in terms of age demographics and userbase, it's very similar to XB1 and PS4.
Not even announcements are being made.

Kinda makes you think how sustainable this success will be in the long run, doesn't it?
What will happen the next time there's no selling concept, no return to greatness for Zelda and Mario to sell the next HW or fend off the incoming PS5 and XB2? Wouldn't it be better if Switch already had that kind of library and be seen as a real alternative to Sony and MS?

Not having those BIG games might not seem much now, but when the times comes, it surely will make a difference! 



It has horrible 3rd party support and honestly, sales have more or less started to stabilize/ flatline, there's no hype for the Switch at all. Nintendo's weak third party support and the Switch's inability to run high profile games this gen will only serve to hurt the console.

The switch will probably always play second fiddle to the other consoles simply because it will never get games like Anthem, Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty, Battlefield, the next elder scrolls and Cyberpunk 2077. Those high profile games will never hit the Switch and will never be able to run on the Switch.

The Switch is fine for a Nintendo audience but it will never be beyond that because it simply cannot be that due to its hardware limitations. Heck the OG Xbox One ran the Black Ops 4 beta at 45 fps, it was struggling and that's one of the least demanding triple-A games right now. Imagine the switch lol. Don't need a repeat of Doom where it ran at 480p 20fps at times.

The Switch is just a Wii, a companion piece to an actual gaming console and that's fine, it's doing well enough.



adisababa said:
It has horrible 3rd party support and honestly, sales have more or less started to stabilize/ flatline, there's no hype for the Switch at all. Nintendo's weak third party support and the Switch's inability to run high profile games this gen will only serve to hurt the console.

The switch will probably always play second fiddle to the other consoles simply because it will never get games like Anthem, Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty, Battlefield, the next elder scrolls and Cyberpunk 2077. Those high profile games will never hit the Switch and will never be able to run on the Switch.

The Switch is fine for a Nintendo audience but it will never be beyond that because it simply cannot be that due to its hardware limitations. Heck the OG Xbox One ran the Black Ops 4 beta at 45 fps, it was struggling and that's one of the least demanding triple-A games right now. Imagine the switch lol. Don't need a repeat of Doom where it ran at 480p 20fps at times.

The Switch is just a Wii, a companion piece to an actual gaming console and that's fine, it's doing well enough.

Satire or not, the Switch sales are well above last years. They must be doing something right



Shadow1980 said:

While others have already addressed each "exhibit" already, I wanted to address Exhibit A in more detail.

First off, I don't agree with the whole idea that the Switch needs to sell as much or more than the Wii U and 3DS combined. Home consoles and handhelds are different beasts. Handhelds are typically much cheaper than home consoles. They are also limited to one user, as opposed to home consoles where a single device can support local multiplayer. Because of there, there are likely to be many 3DS-owning households that own more than one 3DS (and don't forget about special editions that people might also buy). Furthermore, there was almost certainly some overlap between Wii U owners and 3DS owners. The Switch is a hybrid, a home console with limited handheld capabilities, combining aspects of both. Its home console aspects allow a single unit to be used by multiple players, unlike a pure handheld. It is affordable for a home console, though expensive for a handheld. The 3DS, though it had a high launch price of $250/¥25,000, it was reduced to $170/¥15,000 just a few months after launch. The 3DS therefore had a massive price advantage over the still $300/¥30,000 Switch.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's take a look at the sales data.

In the U.S., the Switch is handily outpacing the 3DS,. In fact, it's already starting to outpace combined Wii U + 3DS sales, so here in the States it actually is passing that arbitrary goalpost for "success." It is already one of the more successful consoles in the history of the U.S. market. While it hasn't hit the "god-tier" sales of the PS2, Wii, or GBA (the latter of which over-performed mightily in the U.S. compared to Japan and Europe), it has done quite well by any other measure:

 

In Japan, the Switch clearly benefits from having handheld capability. Compared to most other home consoles of the past 20 years, the Switch had an outstanding first year, and is doing great in its second. It's not doing quite as well as the PS2 did, but the PS2 is the best-selling console ever, so again, not a huge strike against it, especially considering the state of the home console market in Japan post-Gen 6. It also didn't start off quite as well as the Wii, but the Wii was extremely front-loaded in Japan, and the Switch is now closing the gap, with sales this quarter exceeding what the Wii did in Q3 2008 by a fairly wide margin, and the Wii was all downhill from here at this point in its life in Japan. The Wii pulled less than 2.9M units in Japan in 2008, a total that the Switch will almost certainly surpass by a few hundred thousand this year.

Compared to other handhelds in the noticeably handheld-friendly Japanese market, the Switch has spent the past year averaging better than the GBA, though isn't doing as well as the 3DS. However, we need to keep in mind that the 3DS was posting massive numbers for the 2011-2013 period, some of the best in the history of the Japanese market (the 3DS's 2012 performance in particular was the third-best year for any single system, after the DS's showings in 2006 & 2007), and it's the #3 best-selling system ever there after the DS and Game Boy. It's also worth pointing out that the 3DS was also a lot cheaper than the Switch. The 3DS started off at ¥25,000, receiving a drop to ¥15,000 a few months later (with the 3DS XL launching at ¥19,000 in 2012), and that was the point where the 3DS kicked into high gear. The Switch at ¥30k was actually doing better than the 3DS was at ¥25k. The Switch is doing quite well considering its price and the lack of games that are massive system-sellers for Nintendo handhelds. Once it gets a price drop, Gen VII Pokemon, and maybe a hardware revision (pure handheld with longer battery life, maybe?), it should do even better.

As for Europe, the Switch is, like in the U.S., not posting PS2/Wii/PS4 monster-sized sales, but if VGC numbers are any indication it is still handily outpacing the 3DS and PSP, and is even coming pretty damn close to combined 3DS+Wii U sales. Shipment data also indicates the Switch is outpacing the GBA by a fair margin. Overall, it will likely end up one of the best-selling non-PlayStation consoles ever in the region.

In conclusion, I think it's safe to say that the Switch is a success so far.

Great job with tables and great post.

 

DélioPT said:
curl-6 said:

Exactly, Switch will fail without super-massive AAA games such as these, that's why it's selling worse than the Wii U, since the Wii U at least had COD.

I don't think i mentioned failure of any kind.

What i said still stands: it hasn't gotten those big titles, despite the huge success of the console and the fact that in terms of age demographics and userbase, it's very similar to XB1 and PS4.
Not even announcements are being made.

Kinda makes you think how sustainable this success will be in the long run, doesn't it?
What will happen the next time there's no selling concept, no return to greatness for Zelda and Mario to sell the next HW or fend off the incoming PS5 and XB2? Wouldn't it be better if Switch already had that kind of library and be seen as a real alternative to Sony and MS?

Not having those BIG games might not seem much now, but when the times comes, it surely will make a difference! 

You again having hard time with logic..Wii also was huge succes and from all those games received only CoD, so buy your point Wii also wasnt succes because didnt recived those games at all, or because Switch still didnt recived those games yet.

Demographic of Switch and XB1/PS4 isn't same, 43% of Switch user base are 25-34 years people while for instance 18. years old or less represent only 20%. That's quite different compared to PS4/XB1 user demographic.

"Kinda makes you think how sustainable this success will be in the long run, doesn't it"!?  Not at all, how Switch will be more and more appealing device how is getting more releases and divers games, price point getting down and getting revisions. For instance how price point going down, kid user demographic will significantly be changed, same like for people that will buy Switch like secondary device.

You realy dont get Nintendo at all, they act and making different strategies compared to Sony/MS on purpose, they know they have best chanches for succes if they dont compete with them head to head thats they trying difrent things. You dont get that Switch is already alternative to PS4/XB1, PS4 and XB1 are very similar but Switch is console that actually quite different and offer direct experienced to them, that why plenty of PS4/XB1 owners bought it like secondary console. Offcourse it would be better that Switch has all 3rd party games, but they couldn't do Switch like hybrid console for $300 and to have for instance similar tech/power like XB1/PS4, in other words Switch will sell much better than that would Nintendo clone of PS4/XB1.

Those games would make some difference, but they are not key for success for Nintendo hardware like they are for MS/Sony consoles, Wii, DS, 3DS and now Switch are clear example of that. Switch is already success and it will be much bigger success (Switch will hardly sell less than 80m and easiily can do 100m+) despite those games.



DélioPT said:
curl-6 said:

Exactly, Switch will fail without super-massive AAA games such as these, that's why it's selling worse than the Wii U, since the Wii U at least had COD.

I don't think i mentioned failure of any kind.

What i said still stands: it hasn't gotten those big titles, despite the huge success of the console and the fact that in terms of age demographics and userbase, it's very similar to XB1 and PS4.
Not even announcements are being made.

Kinda makes you think how sustainable this success will be in the long run, doesn't it?
What will happen the next time there's no selling concept, no return to greatness for Zelda and Mario to sell the next HW or fend off the incoming PS5 and XB2? Wouldn't it be better if Switch already had that kind of library and be seen as a real alternative to Sony and MS?

Not having those BIG games might not seem much now, but when the times comes, it surely will make a difference! 

The logic you are using is pretty backwards.

The fact that a high percentage of Switch owners also own a PS4/XBO shows that PS4/XBO owners are buying a Switch for experiences not found on the systems they already own so missing out on the games you are speaking of is not going to affect Switch in any meaningful way.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.