Quantcast
How Sony became king of consoles again

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Sony became king of consoles again

The PS3 is still the 4th best selling home console of all time, only beaten by one non-sony machine, the Wii. They never really stopped being the king. They've never had a failed home console and by the end of the year, 4 out of 5 of the best selling home consoles will be PlayStations



LTD Sales Predictions: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m
2019 Sales : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m
2020 Sales: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)

Around the Network
Barkley said:
The PS3 is still the 4th best selling home console of all time, only beaten by one non-sony machine, the Wii. They never really stopped being the king. They've never had a failed home console and by the end of the year, 4 out of 5 of the best selling home consoles will be PlayStations

That depends what you mean by win. If win you mean on sales figures than sure, in terms of profiting i wouldnt say Sony is king when it comes to profiting. Nintendo knows how to make money and i think Nintendo has a much better history when it comes to making money in the console market. PS3 might be the 4th best selling console however its up there as one of the worst profiting. Thats not entirely a win.



They were king of consoles from the moment the PS1 was announced.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

A mixture of things.

- Early announcement, focus on nostalgia and great content.
- Great pricing and options.
- Xbox One PR disaster, countered by Sony's PR triumph.
- Nintendo failing to capitalise on the Wii's success.
- Strong 1st party content for the PS3's twilight years, promises of a continued strong exclusive push.

They weren't arrogant. They weren't taking a victory for granted. They continued to actually push for quality. They treated the consumer with respect. They consistently supported their developers.

I've not watched the video, but I'd assume that's the whole of it.



Azzanation said:
Barkley said:
The PS3 is still the 4th best selling home console of all time, only beaten by one non-sony machine, the Wii. They never really stopped being the king. They've never had a failed home console and by the end of the year, 4 out of 5 of the best selling home consoles will be PlayStations

That depends what you mean by win. If win you mean on sales figures than sure, in terms of profiting i wouldnt say Sony is king when it comes to profiting. Nintendo knows how to make money and i think Nintendo has a much better history when it comes to making money in the console market. PS3 might be the 4th best selling console however its up there as one of the worst profiting. Thats not entirely a win.

That is true - Nintendo knows how to make cheap products and sell it for a high price. Their games cost very little to make as they recycle concepts with the games being very samey across the generations.

 

Perma-Banned by ~PwerlvlAmy

Last edited by PwerlvlAmy - on 25 September 2018

Around the Network

Xbox played a big part in the PS4's success. Between the ridiculous restrictions, lack of top-tier exclusives, and condescending attitudes of their PR team, they practically handed Sony the win this gen.

Microsoft didn't just shoot themselves in the foot, they cut their own fucking legs off.



I think the competition fucked up more which made it any easy choice for everyone to get a PS4 lol.



 

 

OlfinBedwere said:                                 
   
Miyamotoo said:

I didnt watch video, but its very simple, they corrected mistakes they made with PS3, like much cheaper price point and hardware that is much easier to work witch.

Also with "big comeback" it sound like they totally failed last gen.

Maybe not sales-wise - albeit they went from selling three times the combined number of their rivals' consoles in the previous generation to spending roughly three-quarters of the generation in third place - but the console's obscene R&D costs put a major financial drain on the company. They would probably have needed PS2-type numbers to turn a profit from the project, and they fell a long way short.

I think you are right, the R&D costs must have been really huge. I remember back in the early 2000's all the news regarding the joint development of Cell with IBM. They sure did a lot of marketing, stating that this would be the 'ultimate' chip, and that it would be incorporated in so many devices rather than only in PS3.  The were shooting for the.... sun.

Thankfully they have learnt with their mistakes, and PS4 has been handled very very well.



This is bit heavy on the fanboy side guy...

That being said the vid is just basically going over the history, and its all fact based.

Last edited by loy310 - on 25 September 2018

Lawlight said:

That is true - Nintendo knows how to make cheap products and sell it for a high price. Their games cost very little to make as they recycle concepts with the games being very samey across the generations.

Maybe so, however you need to look at it as a business standpoint. Whats more important, money coming in or hardware going out.

Would you call MS a winner if next gen they gave out there Scarlett console for free, breaking every sale record in history while losing billions? Would you say they won? I certainly wouldn't.