Quantcast
2K happy with NBA / WWE’s performance on Switch, will continue support

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2K happy with NBA / WWE’s performance on Switch, will continue support

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

What i was trying to say was that, no matter how bad the first game, if they believed that Switch was a platform they couldn't live without, they put either more effort into making it happen.

I don't disagree with you: it was a bad port. Simple as that. Whether the developer had enough time and couldn't do better or it was a rush job to get it out on time.

Thats a quite reaching, "going from we are happy with sales and we will contine support" to "Switch is a platform we couldn't live without" are totally different things, your post dont make sense at all.

To put you simple, they had quite negative backlash with terrible port (maybe they dont have time that could make good port), and they decided to pass this year with game, dont act like they released every of their IP on Switch so that this comes like big surprise.

It doesn't matter how bad the port was. If they saw Switch as platform that was important to them and/or that they couldn't (financially) live without, they would do their best in getting a (better) port of WWE2K19.
It really is as simple as that: they can live without Switch.

I was just referring to this specific game. Don't understand why you wrote your second paragraph.



Around the Network

The thing is that the massive success of the Nintendo Switch really took everybody by surprise, even Nintendo themselves. Let's look back: Originally, they predicted to sell 8 mil. in it's first fiscal year (that is April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018, i.e. minus launch month March 3 to March 31, 2017) and they ended with selling 15.05 mil (incl. the 2.76 mil of launch month makes a total of 17.81 mil.).

What does this mean? Well, it's no surprise that even 1.5 years after the launch we still have a 3rd party problem (at least in the AA - AAA productions). The 3rd parties were simply not prepared for such a massive success and they can't just snip with the fingers and bring those ports, it takes time. If they don't take the necessary time, we end up with crap ports like WWE 2K18.

The future of 3rd party support will be really interesting. Doom Eternal is planned to be the first ever day-to-day 3rd party AAA release on Nintendo Switch (together with PS4 and XOne versions). I think from then on we will see more such day-to-day releases which in turn should sell more units for the Nintendo Switch version than if it's a late port.

My hope is that we will see even some unique releases for the Nintendo Switch. I can understand that the Nintendo Switch can't handle an Assassins Creed Odyssey properly but what's about a unique version, like an Assassins Creed Rogue back in the days for PS3/360? That could be a win-win situation for everybody. Many Assassins Creed fans probably will buy both versions and in turn if the "Rogue-type version" on Nintendo Switch is successful, Ubisoft can then bring this version also to PS4/XOne.



DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

Thats a quite reaching, "going from we are happy with sales and we will contine support" to "Switch is a platform we couldn't live without" are totally different things, your post dont make sense at all.

To put you simple, they had quite negative backlash with terrible port (maybe they dont have time that could make good port), and they decided to pass this year with game, dont act like they released every of their IP on Switch so that this comes like big surprise.

It doesn't matter how bad the port was. If they saw Switch as platform that was important to them and/or that they couldn't (financially) live without, they would do their best in getting a (better) port of WWE2K19.
It really is as simple as that: they can live without Switch.

I was just referring to this specific game. Don't understand why you wrote your second paragraph.

You ain't adding much to the discussion though. Obviously, they could live financially without the Switch because they have been living financially without it before it came out, infact the output of WWE2K18 shows that they had no initial plans for the Switch at all. Whatever they now do on the Switch is additional profit though. They tried a money grab with a shoddy bug filled port in WWE2K18 and got a deserved response. If they need to go back to do a proper port then thats fine.

Or (as I think) they probably need to build a new Engine that factors in the Switch since it seems their current Engine is not flexible/scalable enough for the Switch, NBA2K18 scaled well and despite suffering lost sales due to being initially digital only, it did a decent enough performance to get a 2019 return.

The Switch might not make as much money for them as the PS4 or XBOne but there is money to be made on the Switch but not with ports like WWE2K18. I personally was about to go buy it then a watched the DF review and put my money back in my pocket. 

2K would be a tad stupid not to realize that and I am sure they didn't get to where they are now by being Stupid.



Talking about WWE in this context just reaffirms to me how fake this PR stuff is (or whatever you want to call it). Speaking with the president of 2K Games, it's not surprising that he would try and praise the games that they released. He isn't speaking of his actual opinions and thoughts, but rather the opinions and thoughts that he wants the listeners to latch onto. To me it just seems real fake; especially given WWE and it's abysmal performance issues, but yet no mention of that.



DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

Thats a quite reaching, "going from we are happy with sales and we will contine support" to "Switch is a platform we couldn't live without" are totally different things, your post dont make sense at all.

To put you simple, they had quite negative backlash with terrible port (maybe they dont have time that could make good port), and they decided to pass this year with game, dont act like they released every of their IP on Switch so that this comes like big surprise.

It doesn't matter how bad the port was. If they saw Switch as platform that was important to them and/or that they couldn't (financially) live without, they would do their best in getting a (better) port of WWE2K19.
It really is as simple as that: they can live without Switch.

I was just referring to this specific game. Don't understand why you wrote your second paragraph.

Aperantly its matters how bad port was, its one of worst games on Switch. If they can make money on Switch and they want to support Switch, that doesnt mean they will release every game at every cost on Switch, that's not nearly same thing like "Switch is a platform we couldn't live without".

I gave you possibilite why WWE2K19 is not coming to Switch.



Around the Network
duduspace1 said:
DélioPT said:

 

You ain't adding much to the discussion though. Obviously, they could live financially without the Switch because they have been living financially without it before it came out, infact the output of WWE2K18 shows that they had no initial plans for the Switch at all. Whatever they now do on the Switch is additional profit though. They tried a money grab with a shoddy bug filled port in WWE2K18 and got a deserved response. If they need to go back to do a proper port then thats fine.

Or (as I think) they probably need to build a new Engine that factors in the Switch since it seems their current Engine is not flexible/scalable enough for the Switch, NBA2K18 scaled well and despite suffering lost sales due to being initially digital only, it did a decent enough performance to get a 2019 return.

The Switch might not make as much money for them as the PS4 or XBOne but there is money to be made on the Switch but not with ports like WWE2K18. I personally was about to go buy it then a watched the DF review and put my money back in my pocket. 

2K would be a tad stupid not to realize that and I am sure they didn't get to where they are now by being Stupid.

There wasn't much to add, to begin with.

They said they were skipping Switch because they didn't want to release a sub-par game.
To that, i added that they do this because Switch isn't relevant enough for them to try and correct their mistake right now.That was all.

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said: 

Aperantly its matters how bad port was, its one of worst games on Switch. If they can make money on Switch and they want to support Switch, that doesnt mean they will release every game at every cost on Switch, that's not nearly same thing like "Switch is a platform we couldn't live without".

I gave you possibilite why WWE2K19 is not coming to Switch.

The reason any developer doesn't do their best to be on a platform is because a) their games have no userbase in said console or b) they might have a userbase for them, but it's not big enough for them to spend even more time/money.

And my reasoning is: Switch is not "big" enough for them to do the extra effort.



That's the basic 3rd party challenge for Nintendo and it goes way back to the N64 when 3rd parties slowly but surely left Nintendo. Many beloved franchises established their userbase on Sony's consoles and later on also on Microsoft's, binding them with gamertag and trophies and even more so with established online friends over the years. This gap of roughly 22 years is hard to fill for Nintendo as the basic question is the following: "I played my beloved franchise iterations since years on Sony's consoles, I have my established online friends with whom I play those games, everything is fine - why should I suddenly buy the next iteration for Nintendo's console?"

The only answer Nintendo has so far is: "Well, with us, you can play everywhere, even with your online friends!" Hopefully, if Nintendo really makes a stand with the Nintendo Switch, Nintendo consoles will be respected again as the third and equal pillar to Sony and Microsoft. Only then, Nintendo will finally be equally treated by 3rd parties.