Quantcast
Did the Switch finally destroy Nintendo's "Kiddie" image?

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did the Switch finally destroy Nintendo's "Kiddie" image?

potato_hamster said:
https://www.polygon.com/2015/4/9/8379367/splatoon-voice-chat-wii-u

Does anyone honestly think they removed the voice chat from Splatoon 1 because they "didn't want the negativiry" or is it because they were concerned that parents might hear voice chats similar to mature-rated games like Call of Duty and lose their shit? It's very obvious that Nintendo is still catering to that "family friendly image" and there's nothing wrong with that.

No. Otherwise, they wouldn't have had voice chat in other Wii U games like Mario Kart 8 or Smash for Wii U, or even the DS/3DS Pokemon games. Let's face it Nintendo would've implemented some form of Voice Chat in Splatoon if they wanted to, but they didn't. 



Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
potato_hamster said:
https://www.polygon.com/2015/4/9/8379367/splatoon-voice-chat-wii-u

Does anyone honestly think they removed the voice chat from Splatoon 1 because they "didn't want the negativiry" or is it because they were concerned that parents might hear voice chats similar to mature-rated games like Call of Duty and lose their shit? It's very obvious that Nintendo is still catering to that "family friendly image" and there's nothing wrong with that.

No. Otherwise, they wouldn't have had voice chat in other Wii U games like Mario Kart 8 or Smash for Wii U, or even the DS/3DS Pokemon games. Let's face it Nintendo would've implemented some form of Voice Chat in Splatoon if they wanted to, but they didn't. 

I could have sworn had voice chat for one of their testfires that was then removed before the game was released. I might be mistaken on it though. i can't find anything now that references that.



Until nintendo really start producing mature games again, I don't see why the kid-friendly image would change.
Nintendo is kid-friendly, and they want people to think that they are kid-friendly.



Megiddo said:
Soundwave said:

Again look at the US demographic image again

Do you see the question that was asked for that poll?

"How old is the person in your household which has the strongest desire to purchase a Nintendo Switch?"

Do you see the verb being used there? It's not own a Switch. It's not play a Switch. It's purchase a Switch.

I hope you're intelligent enough to figure out how that just might skew demographic data a bit.

@Soundwave  Did you miss this? Would love to see your response.



maxleresistant said:
Until nintendo really start producing mature games again, I don't see why the kid-friendly image would change.
Nintendo is kid-friendly, and they want people to think that they are kid-friendly.

They already have mature games, both from them and third parties. Thing is, you don't need an M rating to target adults. You just need good marketing and a sleek product, which Nintendo has provided with the Switch and its often family friendly first party games. 



Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

But you're saying that based on nothing yet calling others stupid when their assumptions atleast have some basis. Also, Nintendo wasn't forced to do anything. It's not like indecent stuff never happens on other communication platforms, yet they are still running. Nintendo shut down swapnote purely because they want to be our parents. Likewise, Nintendo doesn't allow messaging on Switch most certainly because they want to be our parents.

Only this isn't baseless, Nintendo said it themselves. Takahashi said this. 

"Everyone has a smartphone, after all, and they’re very convenient. So instead of fighting with them, we’ve chosen to make friends with them. We’ve also made Super Mario Run and Fire Emblem Heroes. For the Switch, we’re focusing on convenience with smartphone use. So we’re taking into consideration the ways in which they would be used to support games by examining whether existing applications are suitable, or whether we need to create something completely new."

The decision was made because of the convince of Smartphones. If this really was about protecting kids, they would've come out and say that or at least, it would be much more obvious than it is. Nintendo was forced to take down Swapnote on their behalf because that indecent could've gotten them into much further trouble if something wasn't done. Swapnote was latter re-introduced as Swapdoddle with all its original messaging features, so It's not like Nintendo is against messaging friends. 

That quote is nonsense, unless you make games exclusively for phones then yes you are competing with them, and the online app is not convenient at all, but I digress. So alright you have your reasons then, and even though I don't agree with them I sure wont call you stupid.

"It's not like Nintendo is against messaging friends," you say as we're unable to message friends on Switch lel.

potato_hamster said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

No. Otherwise, they wouldn't have had voice chat in other Wii U games like Mario Kart 8 or Smash for Wii U, or even the DS/3DS Pokemon games. Let's face it Nintendo would've implemented some form of Voice Chat in Splatoon if they wanted to, but they didn't. 

I could have sworn had voice chat for one of their testfires that was then removed before the game was released. I might be mistaken on it though. i can't find anything now that references that.

As a diehard Splatoon fan, I can tell you that the original Splatoon never had voice chat in the testfires or at any point in its lifespan.



     

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Kids nowadays play COD, FIFA, and GTA so PS4 is indeed Kiddie compared to Switch



Lonely_Dolphin said:

That quote is nonsense, unless you make games exclusively for phones then yes you are competing with them, and the online app is not convenient at all, but I digress. So alright you have your reasons then, and even though I don't agree with them I sure wont call you stupid.

"It's not like Nintendo is against messaging friends," you say as we're unable to message friends on Switch lel.

And every past Nintendo console with online connectivity barring the DS let you message your friends. It's more so just something Nintendo hasn't implemented on Switch yet. They should've, but I won't bet against them not including it in the future. 



TheMisterManGuy said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

That quote is nonsense, unless you make games exclusively for phones then yes you are competing with them, and the online app is not convenient at all, but I digress. So alright you have your reasons then, and even though I don't agree with them I sure wont call you stupid.

"It's not like Nintendo is against messaging friends," you say as we're unable to message friends on Switch lel.

And every past Nintendo console with online connectivity barring the DS let you message your friends. It's more so just something Nintendo hasn't implemented on Switch yet. They should've, but I won't bet against them not including it in the future. 

It's been over a year, it's omission is clearly intentional at this point.