Quantcast
What trophies and achievements say about you!

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What trophies and achievements say about you!

What kind of gamer are you?

Trophy Hunter 8 21.05%
 
Hardcore 14 36.84%
 
Story Gamer 11 28.95%
 
Casual Gamer 3 7.89%
 
Master of My Trade 2 5.26%
 
Total:38
A game has to be really amazing to me... If I am going to go out of my way to collect everything and unlock every achievement.
Thus far only a couple of games fit that description.... Like Dragon Age.

Around the Network
Guess i'm Hardcore which, based on responses in this thread, is actually the mainstream. I stopped paying attention to trophies years ago though. I've disabled the notifications for them on every platform I play on.

4 ≈ One

Jigsawx1 said:
Shiken said:

There are exceptions to the rule of course.  Call of Duty where many people do not play single player is a good example.  When it comes to games like that though, they usually have a reputation that goes with it.  If that is all they play, then they fall under Masters of Their Trade.

 

Most games however have trophies and achievements that do pretty well at tracking how you play the game.  Like what side content do you complete, did you complete the main story, do you play stealth or guns blazing, there is pretty much something for everything.

 

Also one thing to keep in mind is that I am not talking about judging off of one or two games.  The average of several games and the content they have completed does a very good job telling how someone would play.  So if they play ten games for example, but because they skipped the story in CoD, the data gathered from the other nine games does not become invalid.

 

Another reason you have to look at several games is because what if they did not like a game and quit early?  You need to look at their overall habits between several games to get an accurate picture.  So the argument of looking at one or two games falls flat, as that is not what this topic is about.

i think achievments only tell about gamer who cares about them, and in my opinion the real hardcore gamer play online/ pvp/ in a team but also solo and try to improve their skills.  (i never saw a achievment for this) then you dont have the time to play other games and complete some achievment. Achievments or trophies are  like a drug, i saw people who had a lot of fun with a game through the moment they got their last achievments then in the next moment the game was no longer fun for them :(. what was the next step? right you have to buy a dlc or a new game thats the reason why achievments and trophies are existing. and then they could ttry to get more achievments and so on.  if you think i have a problem with this kind of stuff you are right. Normally people should play because of their story or the gameplay that makes fun to them not to get this weird achievments or trophies.

In many games, especially single player games, achievements/trophies flesh out the game beyond it conventional ending, so that makes perfect sense in some ways. Say you've already finished the story, then the hard mode, then gotten all the various "clean-up" trophies. Sometimes there's nothing left. It varies from game to game, and person to person. I STILL play with new players in the EDF games on Vita, even though I platted them over 2 years ago, and still work towards 100% solo completion, because it's fun to me. What you're describing IS a real thing however. I'm in 2 EDF groups on PSN, and I see guys bail as soon as they get the plat. The group mentality is to "pay it forward", so if somebody is a perpetual leech, it can bite them in ass later. Annnd I've deviated a bit too much. I guess my point is, getting a plat or 1000 in a game is often a pretty good indicator of how much a game has been plundered. 



Chinese food for breakfast

Pemalite said:
A game has to be really amazing to me... If I am going to go out of my way to collect everything and unlock every achievement.
Thus far only a couple of games fit that description.... Like Dragon Age.

I loved that game. Almost as much as KOTOR. I have Inquisition. It's been sitting for quite a while, and will likely be the last EA game I ever buy/play. I skipped DA2 based on what I read.



Chinese food for breakfast

COKTOE said:
Pemalite said:
A game has to be really amazing to me... If I am going to go out of my way to collect everything and unlock every achievement.
Thus far only a couple of games fit that description.... Like Dragon Age.

I loved that game. Almost as much as KOTOR. I have Inquisition. It's been sitting for quite a while, and will likely be the last EA game I ever buy/play. I skipped DA2 based on what I read.

I have 100% every Dragon Age game thus far.

Dragon Age 2's criticisms were most certainly relevant, but even with such detraction's... It was still an enjoyable title, it just could have been so much more or maybe just a DLC/Expansion to Origins.
Inquisition I couldn't get enough of.



Around the Network
What does it say when you think they are dumb and pointless, but still go after them

I don’t care about trophies/achievements at all as 90% of them are only obtainable by performing tedious and mundane tasks that have no added value to a game whatsoever and the rest are story or progression based which everyone gets without doing anything special besides just playing the game. Moreover actually getting them nets you exactly zero reward. I’ve completed Uncharted 4 with a 4% trophy completion rate, and I couldn’t care less because I’ve seen everything anyway. And then there’s the ‘hidden trophies’, which is the dumbest idea ever. Everyone interested is just going to look up a full list because who is going to endlessly try out all kinds of random stuff and hope they stumble upon a hidden trophy? The percentage rates of most non-story based trophies, that are also unlikely to be accidentally attained, are also always so low that it proves hardly anyone really cares about them, and that there are actually only a relative handful of ‘trophy hunters’ out there.

Anyway rant aside, by your definitions I’d be a combination of ‘Master of their Trade’, but without the trophy hunting, and ‘Story Gamer’.



Hardcore sound like it's the closest for me, although 60-80 % sounds a bit high. That said, I suppose it depends. It's definitely not an uncommon range for me, it's just that some games have really hard trophies and I end up in the 20-30 % range or even lower.

Also, pro-tip for getting rid of the extremely annoying background colour: If you don't need any formatting (beyond paragraphs etc.), you can copy-paste to Notepad, then copy the text from Notepad. Since Notepad doesn't support formatting, it loses the background colour as well. Otherwise, two options come to mind: copying to an editor that supports editing background colour, and editing the HTML manually.

S.Peelman said:

I don’t care about trophies/achievements at all as 90% of them are only obtainable by performing tedious and mundane tasks that have no added value to a game whatsoever and the rest are story or progression based which everyone gets without doing anything special besides just playing the game. Moreover actually getting them nets you exactly zero reward. I’ve completed Uncharted 4 with a 4% trophy completion rate, and I couldn’t care less because I’ve seen everything anyway. And then there’s the ‘hidden trophies’, which is the dumbest idea ever. Everyone interested is just going to look up a full list because who is going to endlessly try out all kinds of random stuff and hope they stumble upon a hidden trophy? The percentage rates of most non-story based trophies, that are also unlikely to be accidentally attained, are also always so low that it proves hardly anyone really cares about them, and that there are actually only a relative handful of ‘trophy hunters’ out there.

Anyway rant aside, by your definitions I’d be a combination of ‘Master of their Trade’, but without the trophy hunting, and ‘Story Gamer’.

These are usually used to keep the achievement/trophy list spoiler free. Most commonly used for story achievements.



I go for all trophies humanly possible, that is ones I can achieve with my skills in a reasonable frame of time.

It took me 2 months to do 38% of DmC Devil May Cry. I stopped playing. Picked it up 2 years later and platinumed it at 84%. Played it after a few months to do the DLC trophies. Picked it up on PS4 and got 50% trophies.

GT 6 took me 5 months to get 40% trophies. I played it sparingly for the next 2 years and reached 85% trophies. Don't have the 7900 miles.

I stop playing completely if there is an obnoxious trophy. SC 5 has one for moving 87k m. That's crazy for a fighting game. If I move 100 meters a day it will take me 870 days playing it daily and doing like 20 matches. I absolutely hate that fucking trophy, its not even skill based.

I have 90%+ trophies on like 25 games and 80%+ on 100 games so yes I'm hardcore.