Quantcast
Locked: Disney fires 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn over 'indefensible' old tweets

Forums - Movies Discussion - Disney fires 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director James Gunn over 'indefensible' old tweets

I'll try to break everything down instead of leaving a wall of text.

- The funny thing about all this are the people covering it on Youtube. They'll show you what he said, but they will not say it out loud because they're afraid of getting a strike on their channel, lol. I can't blame them, but still. It's hilarious.

- As far as Disney firing him is concerned, I can't blame them. They have an image they like to keep and as soon as someone gets out of line, they have to protect their brand. I think had it been a different company and if he was working on movies with a different kind of demographic, they may have let it slide. For him , it was the worst kind of situation to be in.

- As far as what he said, it's definitely questionable. It's one thing to make sick cringe jokes. I know his background. He worked for Troma Entertainment. That kind of sick humor is almost to be expected. HOWEVER, it is concerning because it wasn't just a few tweets. He made literally hundreds of tweets about the same subjects matter. These tweets were about rape and pedophilia. It was almost as if he had some weird obsession with that stuff. Also, joking about it with a guy who later got arrested for child porn doesn't do James Gunn any favors.

- As for Mike Cernovich, if you hate that guy, I've got bad news for you. There's nothing you can do about it. You can post controversial tweets from him all day, but it doesn't matter because he can't get fired. He doesn't work for anybody. It also doesn't change what James Gunn had tweeted. Unless you have definite proof that Mike Cernovich is a rapist or a pedophile, there's nothing his opponents can do.

- Then there's the political atmosphere. I think the problem is the left has decided that they are going to be the modern day moralists. 30 years ago, or even up until 10 years ago, the right were the moralists. The left also runs the entertainment industry. As a result of all this, whenever somebody says or tweets something that is deemed immoral, that's it. They're done. The context doesn't even matter anymore. Look at Roseanne. James Gunn supported her getting fired and what she said wasn't nearly as bad as what he said. Look at the controversy surrounding Papa Johns, though that isn't entertainment, but still. I think if the left insists of being moralists, then they should hold themselves to the same standards as everyone else and in this case, that is exactly what Disney has done. In my personal opinion, I don't think any side should strive to be the moralists. I think what is deemed controversial and unacceptable should be dealt with on an individual basis, mostly because context matters.



Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Around the Network
Replicant said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

The tweets being 10 years old simply is not relevant to Disney. It's poison to their brand. They do not want to be associated with it. Was this Cernovich's dastardly plan? Yes, probably. But Gunn was the one who wrote the tweets. They exist because of him. Cernovich simply brought them to light. It's fair play to bring up any of Cernovich's previous damning tweets in retaliation, by all means, but he's not employed by Disney so again, I don't see the relation.

Above comment says it all in a clear and calm manner.

It shows that you're a writer, and a good one at that.

Ha, thanks. Nice to hear!



I am currently sigless.

Jon-Erich said:
I'll try to break everything down instead of leaving a wall of text.

- The funny thing about all this are the people covering it on Youtube. They'll show you what he said, but they will not say it out loud because they're afraid of getting a strike on their channel, lol. I can't blame them, but still. It's hilarious.

- As far as Disney firing him is concerned, I can't blame them. They have an image they like to keep and as soon as someone gets out of line, they have to protect their brand. I think had it been a different company and if he was working on movies with a different kind of demographic, they may have let it slide. For him , it was the worst kind of situation to be in.

- As far as what he said, it's definitely questionable. It's one thing to make sick cringe jokes. I know his background. He worked for Troma Entertainment. That kind of sick humor is almost to be expected. HOWEVER, it is concerning because it wasn't just a few tweets. He made literally hundreds of tweets about the same subjects matter. These tweets were about rape and pedophilia. It was almost as if he had some weird obsession with that stuff. Also, joking about it with a guy who later got arrested for child porn doesn't do James Gunn any favors.

- As for Mike Cernovich, if you hate that guy, I've got bad news for you. There's nothing you can do about it. You can post controversial tweets from him all day, but it doesn't matter because he can't get fired. He doesn't work for anybody. It also doesn't change what James Gunn had tweeted. Unless you have definite proof that Mike Cernovich is a rapist or a pedophile, there's nothing his opponents can do.

- Then there's the political atmosphere. I think the problem is the left has decided that they are going to be the modern day moralists. 30 years ago, or even up until 10 years ago, the right were the moralists. The left also runs the entertainment industry. As a result of all this, whenever somebody says or tweets something that is deemed immoral, that's it. They're done. The context doesn't even matter anymore. Look at Roseanne. James Gunn supported her getting fired and what she said wasn't nearly as bad as what he said. Look at the controversy surrounding Papa Johns, though that isn't entertainment, but still. I think if the left insists of being moralists, then they should hold themselves to the same standards as everyone else and in this case, that is exactly what Disney has done. In my personal opinion, I don't think any side should strive to be the moralists. I think what is deemed controversial and unacceptable should be dealt with on an individual basis, mostly because context matters.

Agreed. Concerning Mike C, I think is intellectually disingenuous to compare his Tweet to the 100s from Gunn. For one, saying that there is no such thing as date rape (here I think he is just calling out the girl's who feel guilty or regret their decision to have sex, so call rape) is no way comparable to someone who obviously is obsessed with sex with children and actual rape. Not saying he has done it, but it is obviously on his mind. And like you said, it doesn't help that he was tweeting with a guy who was charged with possession of child porn, both joking about pedophilia. 



thismeintiel said:
Jon-Erich said:
I'll try to break everything down instead of leaving a wall of text.

- The funny thing about all this are the people covering it on Youtube. They'll show you what he said, but they will not say it out loud because they're afraid of getting a strike on their channel, lol. I can't blame them, but still. It's hilarious.

- As far as Disney firing him is concerned, I can't blame them. They have an image they like to keep and as soon as someone gets out of line, they have to protect their brand. I think had it been a different company and if he was working on movies with a different kind of demographic, they may have let it slide. For him , it was the worst kind of situation to be in.

- As far as what he said, it's definitely questionable. It's one thing to make sick cringe jokes. I know his background. He worked for Troma Entertainment. That kind of sick humor is almost to be expected. HOWEVER, it is concerning because it wasn't just a few tweets. He made literally hundreds of tweets about the same subjects matter. These tweets were about rape and pedophilia. It was almost as if he had some weird obsession with that stuff. Also, joking about it with a guy who later got arrested for child porn doesn't do James Gunn any favors.

- As for Mike Cernovich, if you hate that guy, I've got bad news for you. There's nothing you can do about it. You can post controversial tweets from him all day, but it doesn't matter because he can't get fired. He doesn't work for anybody. It also doesn't change what James Gunn had tweeted. Unless you have definite proof that Mike Cernovich is a rapist or a pedophile, there's nothing his opponents can do.

- Then there's the political atmosphere. I think the problem is the left has decided that they are going to be the modern day moralists. 30 years ago, or even up until 10 years ago, the right were the moralists. The left also runs the entertainment industry. As a result of all this, whenever somebody says or tweets something that is deemed immoral, that's it. They're done. The context doesn't even matter anymore. Look at Roseanne. James Gunn supported her getting fired and what she said wasn't nearly as bad as what he said. Look at the controversy surrounding Papa Johns, though that isn't entertainment, but still. I think if the left insists of being moralists, then they should hold themselves to the same standards as everyone else and in this case, that is exactly what Disney has done. In my personal opinion, I don't think any side should strive to be the moralists. I think what is deemed controversial and unacceptable should be dealt with on an individual basis, mostly because context matters.

Agreed. Concerning Mike C, I think is intellectually disingenuous to compare his Tweet to the 100s from Gunn. For one, saying that there is no such thing as date rape (here I think he is just calling out the girl's who feel guilty or regret their decision to have sex, so call rape) is no way comparable to someone who obviously is obsessed with sex with children and actual rape. Not saying he has done it, but it is obviously on his mind. And like you said, it doesn't help that he was tweeting with a guy who was charged with possession of child porn, both joking about pedophilia. 

Doesn't matter what he tweeted or who he tweeted at, none of that means anything other than it was a bad idea to do it on a public area on the internet from a employment point of view.

We've all posted on this forum, chances are someone on here at a point was in trouble for some form of crime, you might have directly quoted someone who can't go within 100m of a school, that doesn't mean you are guilty of anything nor does posting any number of tweets that say stupid shit. Just means he was stupid, not that he committed any crime....

The day stupid is deemed a crime we'll all be fucked.



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

He did hate Trump for some reason...

 



Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
Bristow9091 said:
I do think they went a little overboard by firing him, I mean damn these tweets are a decade old, and it's obvious he's no longer like that anymore... Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 just won't be the same under a different director, and we all know the music is gonna' suck now too!

Yeah, this is really worrisome. I wonder how mZuzek is doing...

Not too great. I haven't been at home this last day so I missed this thread, but I obviously didn't miss the news.

I'm sure someone must have pointed this out, but since I missed the thread I'm just skipping it: the music will probably not be affected by this. James Gunn already had a finished script for GotG Vol. 3 and the script includes all the songs that would play in the movie, so unless Disney/Marvel decide to mess around with the script, it should be "fine". Not that I'm fine with Gunn not directing it, of course.



I really like guardian of the galaxy 1 + 2 and I'm afraid this will damage the third one extremely. but those tweets are horrible, not only tasteless, I actually don't see any jokes there. instead of firing him, this person should be properly checked. if he is fine, I accept that as really tasteless jokes, but if they find something he should end up far worse than just being fired. 



You know, I was thinking the other day about a movie project I did back in high school. It was on World War II, and my friends and all I played various political leaders, with me playing Hitler in the movie. We had some fun with it, and probably went a bit too comedic with how he was portrayed, but everyone that watched the movie thought it was hilarious.

When I read stories like this, I just think...if I ever became someone famous to catch the public eye, and that movie went public, my life would basically be over. It's kind of a scary thought. Heck sometimes I wonder if someone hated me enough, they could even get me fired right now with it. I like to hope that's a very remote chance, and I hope the people around me have enough sense to ignore it, but the fact I can't completely dismiss it is pretty scary to me.

Now I'm not defending this Gunn guy, and it seems like he probably has some deeper seated issues than me playing Hitler for a class project, but this whole culture of punishing people for comments made far in the past seems a bit concerning to me.



NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:

You know, I was thinking the other day about a movie project I did back in high school. It was on World War II, and my friends and all I played various political leaders, with me playing Hitler in the movie. We had some fun with it, and probably went a bit too comedic with how he was portrayed, but everyone that watched the movie thought it was hilarious.

When I read stories like this, I just think...if I ever became someone famous to catch the public eye, and that movie went public, my life would basically be over. It's kind of a scary thought. Heck sometimes I wonder if someone hated me enough, they could even get me fired right now with it. I like to hope that's a very remote chance, and I hope the people around me have enough sense to ignore it, but the fact I can't completely dismiss it is pretty scary to me.

Now I'm not defending this Gunn guy, and it seems like he probably has some deeper seated issues than me playing Hitler for a class project, but this whole culture of punishing people for comments made far in the past seems a bit concerning to me.

I once went blackface for Halloween and went around with a male friend of mine who dressed as a woman with 2 black eyes.... it was the result of shoe polish and the vodka soaked brain of my 17 year old self.... rather grateful it was in the pre phones with camera era....

Still though both of us were smart enough / unable to post those things on facebook/twitter at the time, it's one of the first thing I always recommend parents who ask me for advice now regarding their kids on the internet, drill it into them so early... everything and anything they put on the net can never be taken down and the harder they might try to, the more it will spread a al the Streisand effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

mZuzek said:
LipeJJ said:

Yeah, this is really worrisome. I wonder how mZuzek is doing...

Not too great. I haven't been at home this last day so I missed this thread, but I obviously didn't miss the news.

I'm sure someone must have pointed this out, but since I missed the thread I'm just skipping it: the music will probably not be affected by this. James Gunn already had a finished script for GotG Vol. 3 and the script includes all the songs that would play in the movie, so unless Disney/Marvel decide to mess around with the script, it should be "fine". Not that I'm fine with Gunn not directing it, of course.

Wouldn't Disney want to completely re-write the script so they don't have to give Gunn credit? They might keep the songs but I feel like they're going to start the script from scratch to avoid any association with Gunn.