Quantcast
As of now Sonic Mania Plus is the highest rated Sonic game since Metacritic was created

Forums - Gaming Discussion - As of now Sonic Mania Plus is the highest rated Sonic game since Metacritic was created

HylianSwordsman said:
Wow, did you collect all the pre-Metacritic review data manually? Way to go man, always wanted to know how the older games fared. Nice to see Mania got the respect it deserved right alongside the classics.

I found as many reviews as I could find from the wikipedia pages for the older games as well as the Game Rankings pages.



Around the Network

I really love the Sonic games on the Genesis. I'll have to pick up Sonic Mania sometime soon. Although I am weird in that the first Sonic game is my favorite one.



Sonic Mania is a great game, that's for sure. But what about that update with the new characters? I must be wrong but I thought ths update comes for free for those who own the digital edition? Now it says 5 bucks. #confused



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

GoOnKid said:

Sonic Mania is a great game, that's for sure. But what about that update with the new characters? I must be wrong but I thought ths update comes for free for those who own the digital edition? Now it says 5 bucks. #confused

 

The update is free (new menus + slight improvements on the mania mode). Encore mode (recolored stages with some differences , new special stages, new partner system) + Mighty + Ray are 5 euros/dollars if you already own mania. It's peanuts and well worth it.

Nem said:
GoOnKid said:

Sonic Mania is a great game, that's for sure. But what about that update with the new characters? I must be wrong but I thought ths update comes for free for those who own the digital edition? Now it says 5 bucks. #confused

 

The update is free (new menus + slight improvements on the mania mode). Encore mode (recolored stages with some differences , new special stages, new partner system) + Mighty + Ray are 5 euros/dollars if you already own mania. It's peanuts and well worth it.

Thank you!



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Around the Network

I have the Sonic Mania Collector's Edition and the Sonic Mania Plus physical copy.



Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Why is plus 4 points higher than the base game?

From what previews and talk I've seen of the plus version, its not any better. That the new stuff isn't that good.



irstupid said:
Why is plus 4 points higher than the base game?

From what previews and talk I've seen of the plus version, its not any better. That the new stuff isn't that good.

Main reasons why it seems to be scoring better:

-More content. 2 new characters, one of which is super overpowered for boss fights which makes the game much easier, a new half stage, the new Encore mode that lets you switch between characters mid-game, new pinball special stage

-Aesthetic upgrades, such as redesigned menus and optional new color palettes for stages

-Option to disable the 10 minute time limit, a very handy feature for those who like to explore the zones instead of racing through them. This is particularly handy on the final zone as you can hit the time limit on that zone even if you are trying to go fast because the zone is very big and has some tricky sections

-Blue Spheres is no longer the forced special stage (some people hate Blue Spheres mode), pinball replaces Blue Spheres in Encore mode and in normal mode if you completed all Blue Spheres stages previously

-The framerate issues on the 3D special stages have been fixed on Switch (the version that has the 90 meta)

 

Also there's the fact that that there are less reviews for Mania Plus than there were for Mania, because it's a rerelease it's mainly critics who actually like Sonic that are playing Mania Plus, whereas standard Mania was played by a bunch of critics who weren't even Sonic fans. 



irstupid said:
Why is plus 4 points higher than the base game?

From what previews and talk I've seen of the plus version, its not any better. That the new stuff isn't that good.

It's definitely better.

Encore mode is a fresh new experience, reminiscent of Sonic heroes that wasn't on the base game. It feels like a completely different game cause you get to use all characters practically at the same time. Makes the game fresher and more varied.

Not to mention you get to play with Mighty and Ray in mania mode as well now.

 

The only thing that annoys me is how difficult the encore special stages are. The new bonus stage is a bit meh too, but it's better than the nothing you got after blue spheres.

Last edited by Nem - on 27 July 2018