Quantcast
The biggest problem with 3rd party ports on Switch...

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The biggest problem with 3rd party ports on Switch...

Ganoncrotch said:
Shiken said:

Thank you for proving my point.  When priced equally and released day and date, they do well.  The problem is most of them come late and are priced more.  Those devs will see Switch as not worth the time.  That is the entire point of this topic.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7594313/Trail/searchtext%3ELA+NOIRE.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7596823/Trail/searchtext%3ELA+NOIRE.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6734088/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/Trail/searchtext%3ELEGO+CITY.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6735290/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/Trail/searchtext%3ELEGO+CITY.htm

Don't make me slap you for trying this.

Those games did not launch at the same price on the Switch / X1

I know you are grasping for some strange justification here, but I really can't see what the end goal is.

Do you want people to just come in the thread and drop a thumbs up for you getting "free" games for the PS4 over the Switch?

Well day and date is a big factor, as I already said in an earlier reply.  As for price, I forgot that some were priced 10 bucks more on Switch.  However 10 bucks is a far cry from 40 bucks.  Plus some games that cost more on cart, were price matched on the eshop like RiME.  An oversight on my part, but my point still stands.

 

I do not need justification for my trade in, the experience had with those games is all I need and will ever need.  I was simply sharing my experience as an example of how even someone that can afford the Switch version of these late ports, supported the Switch heavily both on forums and with my wallet for a year and a half, and got put in a situation where a choice had to be made...cheaper versions of the same game at a higher quality can draw us to choose those versions over portability (despite what I have been preaching all this time).

 

Again, not saying the ports should not exist or that there are not those that benefit from them.  I am simply pointing out that these late ports are not selling as much as devs would like them to and the main reason I believe that to be the case.



Around the Network
Shiken said:
zorg1000 said:

Where are you coming up with these games not selling well enough?

DOOM switch -340k (Next DOOM and RAGE  another bethesda shooter, not coming to Switch possibly due to poor sales)

WWE 2k18 -180k (2k's fault for shit port, but they are still using sales and backlash as an excuse for 2k19 not coming over)

Wolfenstein 2 PREDICTION (I have a feeling its sales will be similar to DOOM, however if proven wrong when we get sales numbers I will retract this statement and admit I was wrong)

Ys VIII PREDICTION (no sales numbers, but it does seem like the general consensus is to get it on PS4 instead.  However like the above, I will admit wrong if it turns out that way.  To be honest I expected this one to do well, but all I see is negativity across the net on it.)

NBA 2k18 - 370k (this is debatable as 2k19 is coming to Switch.  This was released day and date with PS4 and X1 however, yet it is where most devs would consider too low)

Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 - 130k (older port, but two for one and capcom stated they were looking to how this game sold for Switch sales potential)

 

Not all of them sell bad and these are a few examples from VGChartz (not 100 perc acurate, but enough to make a point).  Given these sales numbers and the fact that 3rd party devs keep skipping Switch (many games I feel would have been easy to port even).  I am not saying they are terrible, but I feel like it is enough to scare devs off without even trying.

 

I suppose part of this is prediction in a sense...safe prediction...but prediction none the less.

A few things you said are wrong or dont make sense.

1. Doom Eternal has no announced platforms so you have no idea if its coming to Switch or not.

2. It was reported that Ys VIII is selling better than the Vita & PS4 versions launches aligned globally.

3. Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 was stated to be higher than the PS4/XBO versions.

4. NBA getting a follow up contradicts your point.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Shiken said:

DOOM switch -340k (Next DOOM and RAGE  another bethesda shooter, not coming to Switch possibly due to poor sales)

WWE 2k18 -180k (2k's fault for shit port, but they are still using sales and backlash as an excuse for 2k19 not coming over)

Wolfenstein 2 PREDICTION (I have a feeling its sales will be similar to DOOM, however if proven wrong when we get sales numbers I will retract this statement and admit I was wrong)

Ys VIII PREDICTION (no sales numbers, but it does seem like the general consensus is to get it on PS4 instead.  However like the above, I will admit wrong if it turns out that way.  To be honest I expected this one to do well, but all I see is negativity across the net on it.)

NBA 2k18 - 370k (this is debatable as 2k19 is coming to Switch.  This was released day and date with PS4 and X1 however, yet it is where most devs would consider too low)

Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2 - 130k (older port, but two for one and capcom stated they were looking to how this game sold for Switch sales potential)

 

Not all of them sell bad and these are a few examples from VGChartz (not 100 perc acurate, but enough to make a point).  Given these sales numbers and the fact that 3rd party devs keep skipping Switch (many games I feel would have been easy to port even).  I am not saying they are terrible, but I feel like it is enough to scare devs off without even trying.

 

I suppose part of this is prediction in a sense...safe prediction...but prediction none the less.

A few things you said are wrong or dont make sense.

1. Doom Eternal has no announced platforms so you have no idea if its coming to Switch or not.

2. It was reported that Ys VIII is selling better than the Vita & PS4 versions launches aligned globally.

3. Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 was stated to be higher than the PS4/XBO versions.

4. NBA getting a follow up contradicts your point.

This actually makes me happy.  Thank you for informing me.



Shiken said:
Ganoncrotch said:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7594313/Trail/searchtext%3ELA+NOIRE.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7596823/Trail/searchtext%3ELA+NOIRE.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6734088/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/Trail/searchtext%3ELEGO+CITY.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6735290/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/Trail/searchtext%3ELEGO+CITY.htm

Don't make me slap you for trying this.

Those games did not launch at the same price on the Switch / X1

I know you are grasping for some strange justification here, but I really can't see what the end goal is.

Do you want people to just come in the thread and drop a thumbs up for you getting "free" games for the PS4 over the Switch?

Well day and date is a big factor, as I already said in an earlier reply.  As for price, I forgot that some were priced 10 bucks more on Switch.  However 10 bucks is a far cry from 40 bucks.  Plus some games that cost more on cart, were price matched on the eshop like RiME.  An oversight on my part, but my point still stands.

 

I do not need justification for my trade in, the experience had with those games is all I need and will ever need.  I was simply sharing my experience as an example of how even someone that can afford the Switch version of these late ports, supported the Switch heavily both on forums and with my wallet for a year and a half, and got put in a situation where a choice had to be made...cheaper versions of the same game at a higher quality can draw us to choose those versions over portability (despite what I have been preaching all this time).

 

Again, not saying the ports should not exist or that there are not those that benefit from them.  I am simply pointing out that these late ports are not selling as much as devs would like them to and the main reason I believe that to be the case.

So the main point you think the ports fall down is that they didn't release on the same date?

I mean, I would have loved to pick up a copy of Doom for the Switch in May of 2016 when it launched... would have just been a 10 month wait for the console to launch to play it though.

This isn't just a Nintendo Switch exclusive thing with games being ported later costing more, I mean if you look at something like Heavy Rain from the PS3, at the point when that came to the PS4 it was possible to pick up the original PS3 game for less than a tenner, PS4 version launched at 40+ for the same game, very marginally cleaned up textures. Ultra Street fighter 4 on the ps3/x360 cost about 15 on that system when it launched in a broken mess on the ps4 for close to 30.

What I mean is, there is almost always a way to play certain games cheaper, and I know in your case the ps4 versions of the games are going to be a higher resolution (until you start talking about doing remote play to the Vita with its 540p screen even in high quality mode of remote play) but the thing which people who are a large fan of the Switch (talking from my own experiences here) love with it, is the ability to pick up the system, stick it in my bag and go on a flight with it, enjoy it all the way to my destination and play a full console AAA game while chilling next to someone tapping away at angry birds or so on their phone. Even in the best case scenario of the Vita perfectly functioning as remote play... you cannot use that in traveling scenarios, unless you've figured out a new way to connect it to the PS4 on flights and such.

Before for me I would purchase a game... say Borderlands on a console, and then for the Vita I got the port of it on that platform too, the Vita version I think cost about 30e the console one I got cheap enough too for maybe 20e but still for the "switch" type experience of having the games both as a home console and a portable machine the asking price is just a single cost for both versions of the game.



Fancy watching me Flawless Kill a Remix boss of Rogue Legacy? (Ponce De freon)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC0yCu2iY2o

If you own both PS4 and Switch there's literally no reason to get the Switch version of third parties (which isn't much to begin with). They're inferior and overpriced. Everyone knows this.

Even the indies are priced higher which is sad cause that's where people turn to for a cheaper option on Switch since buying AAA games constantly will bankrupt you.

Around the Network
MinatozakiSana said:
If you own both PS4 and Switch there's literally no reason to get the Switch version of third parties (which isn't much to begin with). They're inferior and overpriced. Everyone knows this.

Even the indies are priced higher which is sad cause that's where people turn to for a cheaper option on Switch since buying AAA games constantly will bankrupt you.

 

I think you might have missed one of the biggest reasons the console exists.



Fancy watching me Flawless Kill a Remix boss of Rogue Legacy? (Ponce De freon)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC0yCu2iY2o

"But the portability justifies the higher price tag!" Says someone here who argued with me.. lol


Ganoncrotch said:
MinatozakiSana said:
If you own both PS4 and Switch there's literally no reason to get the Switch version of third parties (which isn't much to begin with). They're inferior and overpriced. Everyone knows this.

Even the indies are priced higher which is sad cause that's where people turn to for a cheaper option on Switch since buying AAA games constantly will bankrupt you.

 

I think you might have missed one of the biggest reasons the console exists.

Well yeah the portability aspect is cute but not that enticing anymore when it costs 1.5x what conpetition offers



I perfectly agree with your point. I owned every Nintendo handheld except the Switch, and the Wii. All of those consoles got just a few games, never more than 4 or 5. Meanwhile, all of my Sony console (1 to 4, Vita) got easily 10 games, and surely even 20+ on Vita and PS4 with digital.

When I want to buy a 3-4+ years old Nintendo SD game, see that it's still at 35, and on the next shelf or online see big and more recent games on PS4 for 20-30, the choice is quick to make. During the spring sale, I got The Witcher 3 and DLCs plus Doom for the price of Fire Emblem Fates... It's also a lot easier to take risks with smaller or less famous games when they're at 5-10.

Nintendo's pricing policy is anti-consumer compared to their competitors, and the almost lack of digital doesn't help.

Faelco said:
I perfectly agree with your point. I owned every Nintendo handheld except the Switch, and the Wii. All of those consoles got just a few games, never more than 4 or 5. Meanwhile, all of my Sony console (1 to 4, Vita) got easily 10 games, and surely even 20+ on Vita and PS4 with digital.

When I want to buy a 3-4+ years old Nintendo SD game, see that it's still at 35€, and on the next shelf or online see big and more recent games on PS4 for 20-30€, the choice is quick to make. During the spring sale, I got The Witcher 3 and DLCs plus Doom for the price of Fire Emblem Fates... It's also a lot easier to take risks with smaller or less famous games when they're at 5-10€.

Nintendo's pricing policy is anti-consumer compared to their competitors, and the almost lack of digital doesn't help.

What does the bolded mean?



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.