Quantcast
John Kodera: PS4 Is Entering The Final Stages Of Its Life-Cycle.

Forums - Sony Discussion - John Kodera: PS4 Is Entering The Final Stages Of Its Life-Cycle.

'entering the final stages'...well, duh, of course it is, this is the systems´s fifth year in the market after all.About two more years before the PS5 comes, I think.



Around the Network

I would have though the final stages would start after the ps5's is announced or perhaps even on ps5 releases. Consoles still seem to sell at that point and people still buy games in mass.



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

2020-2021 have been an accepted date for PS5 for many people here.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

John2290 said:
I would have though the final stages would start after the ps5's is announced or perhaps even on ps5 releases. Consoles still seem to sell at that point and people still buy games in mass.

In terms of first-party titles it's the final stages.

Here's a list of PS3 games they released after the PS4:

Ratchet Into the Nexus (Nov 2013)
Gran Turismo 6 (Dec 2013)
MLB 14,15,16 (Cross-Gen) (March 2014,2015,2016)
LBP 3 (Cross-Gen) (Nov 2014)

So only two titles that weren't cross-gen PS4, and those two titles were released within a week of the PS4 launching.



Predictions (Made July 2019)

LTD: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m       2019 : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m        2020: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)


melbye said:
2021 is later than i though, i was thinking March 2020

March is the end of the financial year. He probably refers to this. So this means likely second half of 2020. But for something more than two years in the future, nothing is set in stone yet.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

Around the Network
Barkley said:
John2290 said:
I would have though the final stages would start after the ps5's is announced or perhaps even on ps5 releases. Consoles still seem to sell at that point and people still buy games in mass.

In terms of first-party titles it's the final stages.

Here's a list of PS3 games they released after the PS4:

Ratchet Into the Nexus (Nov 2013)
Gran Turismo 6 (Dec 2013)
MLB 14,15,16 (Cross-Gen) (March 2014,2015,2016)
LBP 3 (Cross-Gen) (Nov 2014)

So only two titles that weren't cross-gen PS4, and those two titles were released within a week of the PS4 launching.

Yeah but if nov 2020 is the ps5 drop then there's a year their to fill titles. hmm.



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

i wouldn't mind a 2021 release, though i think holiday 2020 is best. the quote about crouching down makes me think they will have a quiet final year this time, unlike with the PS3 where their final year took Polyphony, Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream and Santa Monica out of the early PS4 years. Days Gone, Last of Us II, Death Stranding and Ghosts of Tsushima for 2019, release PS5 2020. That gives their studios a lot of time to really give the PS5 a great first 18 months, because a holiday 2020 would give

Naughty Dog - 1 year
Sony Bend - 1 year
Kojima Productions - 1 year
Insomniac (not first party, but Spiderman 2 will almost certainly be a thing) - 2 years
Media Molecule - 2 years
Quantic Dream - 2.5 years
Santa Monica -2.5 years
Polyphony - 3 years
Guerilla - 3.5 years

to make their next titles for next gen. Sony Japan is up in the air because they are more AA stuff.

I think hardware and software line up perfectly for 2020, not 2021.



79 milions sold at 31 march. Time to update front page.



gemini_d@rk said:
79 milions sold at 31 march. Time to update front page.

79m sold-in (shipped), frontpage is sold to consumers (sold-through). Front page is fine.



Predictions (Made July 2019)

LTD: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m       2019 : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m        2020: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)


Makes me wonder if some titles like the next God of War or Horizon will be developed with the PS4 and the PS5 in mind, as bridge games



“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’