Quantcast
God of War shows why I consider SSM better than ND and you might as well

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War shows why I consider SSM better than ND and you might as well

Do you agree?

Yes 12 25.00%
 
No 13 27.08%
 
They are both as good as the other 22 45.83%
 
Haven't played God of War 1 2.08%
 
Haven't played Uncharted 0 0.00%
 
Total:48
CGI-Quality said:
The two can coexist. Why put one studio down over the other when both have proven track records? Why not celebrate the idea that multiple studios from SIE are producing such quality software?

I don’t see the need for a topic like this.

Pretty much this. 



Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network

You don't need to downplay one to like more the other.
The Last of Us was one of the best things I've gone through my entire life, God of War 4 are if for a treat to top it.
Santa Monica and Naughty Dog have always been top devs, and I'm glad to play games of them both.



SSM need to do a new IP with this quality before I could say they are better than ND.

However both are among the best studios in the world without a doubt



They are both equally good though i admit i havent played all their games yet.

I will point out that ND have made a variety of genres ranging from pure platform (crash) to action adventure with hugely greater realism and a focus on TPS over 3 consoles. SSM has only worked on the single IP with similar play styles (most recent game excluded). Food for thought no?



fauzman said:
They are both equally good though i admit i havent played all their games yet.

I will point out that ND have made a variety of genres ranging from pure platform (crash) to action adventure with hugely greater realism and a focus on TPS over 3 consoles. SSM has only worked on the single IP with similar play styles (most recent game excluded). Food for thought no?

Sony Santa Monica has incubated team and helped with development and produced far more games than ND, Journey, Order 1886, Fat princess adventures etc, majority of Xdev team are from SSM, Unfortunately they had to cancel their new Sc-Fi shooter, coz it was turning out similar to Destiny, Right now ND pedigree is excellent writing and production values, but not so good gameplay mechanics, with GoW SSM proved they can give an ND level story with equally deep gameplay.. took me 30 hrs to finish it. 



Around the Network

When SSM make a groundbreaking, industry changing masterpiece like TLOU, I'll agree. Until then I'll just say they're getting much much better.



 

The PS5 Exists. 


I mean, is it necessary to argue about that? As long as both provide quality entertainment, it isn't really important which studio is "better". That being said, I'm speaking as an outsider, not having played any of their games, so maybe I'm wrong.



It makes me happy that people are having this discussion, i've always consider Santa Monica to be one of the best developers out there so god of wars success is no surprise to me. I still haven't played the game as I chose the worst time to have a holiday :) but at least I'll have something really good to come home to.



DonFerrari said:
All you written is totally arguable as taste, so I won't dismiss on it, but also can't be taken as fact.

About combat, it was a lot easier to finish (killing bosses included) on the highest difficult on GoW (I have all plats possible, except for replat GoW3 on PS4, there I still need to do some challenges) than to finish UC on Crushing (and UC1 was a nightmare on it, with UC4 in one section if you fail and don't choose restart encounter you'll be stuck at a hell point also another hellish nightmare on the corridor with traps).

What does difficulty have to do with the combat depth? God of War games have deeper mechanics and my point was on the harder difficulties you have to do the full extent of moves of Kratos and only there you realise the depth of its mechanics. Uncharted plays the same on lower and higher difficulties just has more damage sponges.

Serious_frusting said:
CGI-Quality said:
The two can coexist. Why put one studio down over the other when both have proven track records? Why not celebrate the idea that multiple studios from SIE are producing such quality software?

I don’t see the need for a topic like this.

Pretty much this. 

That isn't my point. My point is SSM are more talented and were always more talented than Naughty Dog. Not that Naughty Dog can't exist, I still like their games and have respect for them.

bananaking21 said:
SSM need to do a new IP with this quality before I could say they are better than ND.

However both are among the best studios in the world without a doubt

God of War is a new IP for all purposes. Take the name away and it is more different to previous God of War games than TLOU is to Uncharted.

God of War on PS2 was SSM's 2nd IP, their first game was a racing game called Kinetica. I haven't played Jak and Daxter series but have played all other Naughty Dog games. Crash must be amazing for the 90's I'll give them that though I played the N Sane trilogy.



GOWTLOZ said:
DonFerrari said:
All you written is totally arguable as taste, so I won't dismiss on it, but also can't be taken as fact.

About combat, it was a lot easier to finish (killing bosses included) on the highest difficult on GoW (I have all plats possible, except for replat GoW3 on PS4, there I still need to do some challenges) than to finish UC on Crushing (and UC1 was a nightmare on it, with UC4 in one section if you fail and don't choose restart encounter you'll be stuck at a hell point also another hellish nightmare on the corridor with traps).

What does difficulty have to do with the combat depth? God of War games have deeper mechanics and my point was on the harder difficulties you have to do the full extent of moves of Kratos and only there you realise the depth of its mechanics. Uncharted plays the same on lower and higher difficulties just has more damage sponges.

Serious_frusting said:

Pretty much this. 

That isn't my point. My point is SSM are more talented and were always more talented than Naughty Dog. Not that Naughty Dog can't exist, I still like their games and have respect for them.

bananaking21 said:
SSM need to do a new IP with this quality before I could say they are better than ND.

However both are among the best studios in the world without a doubt

God of War is a new IP for all purposes. Take the name away and it is more different to previous God of War games than TLOU is to Uncharted.

God of War on PS2 was SSM's 2nd IP, their first game was a racing game called Kinetica. I haven't played Jak and Daxter series but have played all other Naughty Dog games. Crash must be amazing for the 90's I'll give them that though I played the N Sane trilogy.

You were also meaning that UC on hardest isn't as difficult as GoW... I can tell you that besides boss fights I could randomly use the same combos on almost all enemies, or just know what works for each, and plan what type of enemies to destroy in order... wasn't nearly as difficult as UC. And of course in a FPS the purpouse is shoot to kill and depending on the case do some stealth. Still the approach itself is very different for each scenario.

Also it isn't only about sponge, is about how much damage you take and the how faster it's for you to get surrounded.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994