Quantcast
Should I continue Bloodborne? And why?

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should I continue Bloodborne? And why?

You can answer that yourself. No one should bother to convince you otherwise.



Around the Network
Hiku said:

Onimusha's "Issen" attacks were performed by pressing attack a few frames before an enemy attack connected with you, if I recall correctly? Pretty much the same as how you stun an enemy with your gun in Bloodborne. But the difference is that the counter attack came immediately in Onimusha, wheres in Bloodborne you have to walk up to the enemy and perform an additional attack. Is that the issue you have with it?
Well on that note, those counters did feel more satisfying in Onimusha partially due to the instantaneous reward factor. But also due to the animation, imo. I'd say the same for parrying in Nioh. That was one of my favorite things to do in the game. (The just-frame parry. Not the other ones.)

As for 'not-knowing' potentially being a draw, yes. But you can still have that element of wanting to slowly unravel the unknown, while at least giving the player a basic premise of the situation, and a couple of NPC's to form some sort of attachment to the world.
That probably comes later (although to what degree I don't know), but I'm a decent number of hours into the game, and this is the story so far:

*Old man infuses me with blood.*
- "Person behind a door who I can't see "Ahh you're a hunter are ya? You picked the wrong night to come out, hehehe"
-
*Old man coughing from behind a window.*
- Gascoigne's daughter who I also can't see, asking me to find her mom from behind a window.

This is very bizarre to me when this is the only way the story has been presented so far.

The games very cryptic about what the story is.  There's a large number of hints, but you have to discover most of them. Only a handful of them, do you get through cutscenes.  There's a story, and it's pretty convoluted, but it's hard to get.  

It's an easy game to finish, and not even know what the story is.  
Biggest reason to keep playing is the gameplay and if you're not having fun, then you're not having fun.  



the-pi-guy said:
Hiku said:

Onimusha's "Issen" attacks were performed by pressing attack a few frames before an enemy attack connected with you, if I recall correctly? Pretty much the same as how you stun an enemy with your gun in Bloodborne. But the difference is that the counter attack came immediately in Onimusha, wheres in Bloodborne you have to walk up to the enemy and perform an additional attack. Is that the issue you have with it?
Well on that note, those counters did feel more satisfying in Onimusha partially due to the instantaneous reward factor. But also due to the animation, imo. I'd say the same for parrying in Nioh. That was one of my favorite things to do in the game. (The just-frame parry. Not the other ones.)

As for 'not-knowing' potentially being a draw, yes. But you can still have that element of wanting to slowly unravel the unknown, while at least giving the player a basic premise of the situation, and a couple of NPC's to form some sort of attachment to the world.
That probably comes later (although to what degree I don't know), but I'm a decent number of hours into the game, and this is the story so far:

*Old man infuses me with blood.*
- "Person behind a door who I can't see "Ahh you're a hunter are ya? You picked the wrong night to come out, hehehe"
-
*Old man coughing from behind a window.*
- Gascoigne's daughter who I also can't see, asking me to find her mom from behind a window.

This is very bizarre to me when this is the only way the story has been presented so far.

The games very cryptic about what the story is.  There's a large number of hints, but you have to discover most of them. Only a handful of them, do you get through cutscenes.  There's a story, and it's pretty convoluted, but it's hard to get.  

It's an easy game to finish, and not even know what the story is.  
Biggest reason to keep playing is the gameplay and if you're not having fun, then you're not having fun.  

It's not that I necessarily need a good story, or in some cases a story at all. I didn't think Nioh had a good story for example. But I did like some of the characters at least. And their presence did something for the atmosphere of the game.
When I saw videos and screenshots of Bloodborne I thought to myself "I really like this setting a lot more than the medieval setting of the Souls games. This orange sky looks really beautiful. Maybe this is more up my alley than the Souls games."

Now some hours later, I found that I wasn't appreciating the scenery as much as I expected. When you look out over Yharnam, it looks gorgeous. But I've spent the vast majority of my time in cramped alleyways and sewers. But even when I get out of them, I felt like something was missing. And I think a bit more of an understanding of what I'm fighting for could help "bring the world to life" so to speak.

I'm supposed to bring some NPC's to a shelter next. If I can finally see and interact with some more characters, maybe that will help.

Last edited by Hiku - on 17 April 2018

Hiku said:
the-pi-guy said:

The games very cryptic about what the story is.  There's a large number of hints, but you have to discover most of them. Only a handful of them, do you get through cutscenes.  There's a story, and it's pretty convoluted, but it's hard to get.  

It's an easy game to finish, and not even know what the story is.  
Biggest reason to keep playing is the gameplay and if you're not having fun, then you're not having fun.  

It's not that I necessarily need a good story, or in some cases a story at all. I didn't think Nioh had a good story for example. But I did like some of the characters at least. And their presence did something for the atmosphere of the game.
When I saw videos and screenshots of Bloodborne I thought to myself "I really like this setting a lot more than the medieval setting of the Souls games. This orange sky looks really beautiful. Maybe this is more up my alley than the Souls games."

Now some hours later, I found that I wasn't appreciating the scenery as much as I expected. When you look out over Yharnam, it looks gorgeous. But I've spent the vast majority of my time in cramped alleyways and sewers. But even when I get out of them, I felt like something was missing. And I think a bit more of an understanding of what I'm fighting for could help "bring the world to life" so to speak.

I'm supposed to bring some NPC's to a shelter next. If I can finally see and interact with some more characters, maybe that will help.

Keep playing. After a certain boss maybe 5 hours from where you are now a lot more will be revealed along with every boss after that apart from a few optionals. Once the first moon faze occurs and you're paying attention things will be at least somewhat interesting but it's really one of those kind of stories that weaves together upon reflection, it's like a lovecraft novel, You witness it first, reflect later and it stays with you for sometime picking away at your mind while you try to make sence of it and you will but while the core will be the same for most people the interpretation will differ widely from person to person. 

I'd love to say more but it'd be spoiler territory. I'll just say this, there is more story in the hunters dream than you may realize as well as the dungeons

..which you are far from. Keep your eye on the moon, the scenery and stay attentive at every boss. The story is bound in the same way the level design works, Metroid vania designed narrative if that makes sense.



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

John2290 said:

I'd say push on abit further becuase the game deserves it, I hated the game the first 10 hours. HATED IT! Right around the same point as you are now. But after by rebuilding a third time and knowing what I'd I excelled at and what I didn't that game grabbed me into a 180 ish hour addiction and a really fun platinum. Really glad I didn't give up on it. Best that's all I can say but if it doesn't grab you or you aren't enjoying yourself then best to give up on it, depends on what your cap is for giving games a chance. *Shrugs*

I wouldn't say I hate anything about Bloodborne yet, except farming Blood Vials in the middle of practicing against a boss.
But the game's difficulty and how it makes you feel anxious in high risk situations is sort of having the adverse effect when all I want to do is progress to a point where I can enjoy those things more.
Some times I play through games I'm not enjoying though, like Star Ocean 4. But that's easier to do when it's a more laid back relaxing experience. In Bloodborne I'm not exactly going to be relaxed while playing, so I wonder if it'll be worth it. It's not good to stress yourself out too much after all.

John2290 said:
Btw, I just wanted to add that Nioh is by far a superior game in the aspects you seem to want from the genre, like that combat and satisfaction. Just had to add that but there is aspects to BB that are very interesting and things that it trumps Nioh on like level design, loot and I feel like its a clique to say and some people take it as a negative but the story is really interesting if you look for it. Particularly the level design and the metroid vania aspects especially mid to late game and the procedural dungeons are well worth getting to, some of the best bosses in all of gaming are in those dungeons.

I don't know that I necessarily want the combat in Bloodborne to be more like Nioh. I'm just speculating as to why I may not be enjoying myself in particular when fighting in Bloodborne so far. It's hard to understand a feeling some times. And if this is what I can expect from the combat, it may still turn out to be fun, or something else could make up for what I may consider to be missing, etc.

One thing I can say is that the Saw Cleaver looks really cool in design. But I just can't seem to bring myself to like it. And I usually pick weapons that have a good balance between visual appeal, and feel. Usually lighter weapons rather than heavy. I tried another weapon for a bit that looks similar (it is also folded and can extend), and it also seemed to play pretty similar to the Saw Cleaver.
Now that I think about it, it's possible that a weapon more suited for me would make me enjoy combat more. Something with longer range than folded Saw Cleaver. I've seen videos of a sword that can turn into a whip, and someone had it earlier than where I am now, so maybe I'll look for that weapon next.

I actually didn't like Nioh's level design in many levels. I did particularly love the layout and design of the first stage though, that was in the Beta. The village.

Why do you like Bloodborne's loot system better? All I seem to find in Bloodborne are Blood Vials, Echoes and silver bullets.
While in Nioh you could find way too much loot, and you had to sort through a lot of junk because of that. I did still like that rare weapon and gear could drop from enemies and bosses. Made it feel a bit exciting at times when you beat a boss, seeing all the colorful names on the ground and hoping it's something better than what you have.

I wouldn't mind a story that slowly unfolds and you need to dig to find out about it. I just want a bit more of a foundation to keep me motivated in doing so. If the pacing of this doesn't change then 6 hours later I may still feel the same.

Last edited by Hiku - on 17 April 2018

Around the Network

I just wanted to add, that if you don't like Lovecraft or have little knowledge of his general mythos then you won't find the game nearly as interesting when things do get going story wise.
If you do wish to play bloodborne and be invested in the story as you hear many people praise it reading (or listening to) some Lovecraft novels is a must. Particularly A shadow out of time and the stories that take route in that general story universe.
I'd forgotten how heavily my love for the story and world relies on you having that background and how that would effect other enjoyment of the story mid game or even being able to disern the story, until this thread got me reflecting and now all I wanna do is replay the friggin game, lol.
With GOW coming up a replay is outta the question but I'm itching to reimmerse myself back in Yarhnam afterward. If you gibe up at least this thread gave someone a reason to see the game through.

^_^/



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

Hiku said:
John2290 said:

I'd say push on abit further becuase the game deserves it, I hated the game the first 10 hours. HATED IT! Right around the same point as you are now. But after by rebuilding a third time and knowing what I'd I excelled at and what I didn't that game grabbed me into a 180 ish hour addiction and a really fun platinum. Really glad I didn't give up on it. Best that's all I can say but if it doesn't grab you or you aren't enjoying yourself then best to give up on it, depends on what your cap is for giving games a chance. *Shrugs*

I wouldn't say I hate anything about Bloodborne yet, except farming Blood Vials in the middle of practicing against a boss.
But the game's difficulty and how it makes you feel anxious in high risk situations is sort of having the adverse effect when all I want to do is progress to a point where I can enjoy those things more.
Some times I play through games I'm not enjoying though, like Star Ocean 4. But that's easier to do when it's a more laid back relaxing experience. In Bloodborne I'm not exactly going to be relaxed while playing, so I wonder if it'll be worth it. It's not good to stress yourself out too much after all.

John2290 said:
Btw, I just wanted to add that Nioh is by far a superior game in the aspects you seem to want from the genre, like that combat and satisfaction. Just had to add that but there is aspects to BB that are very interesting and things that it trumps Nioh on like level design, loot and I feel like its a clique to say and some people take it as a negative but the story is really interesting if you look for it. Particularly the level design and the metroid vania aspects especially mid to late game and the procedural dungeons are well worth getting to, some of the best bosses in all of gaming are in those dungeons.

I don't know that I necessarily want the combat in Bloodborne to be more like Nioh. I'm just speculating as to why I may not be enjoying myself in particular when fighting in Bloodborne so far. It's hard to understand a feeling some times. And if this is what I can expect from the combat, it may still turn out to be fun, or something else could make up for what I may consider to be missing, etc.

One thing I can say is that the Saw Cleaver looks really cool in design. But I just can't seem to bring myself to like it. And I usually pick weapons that have a good balance between visual appeal, and feel. Usually lighter weapons rather than heavy. I tried another weapon for a bit that looks similar (it is also folded and can extend), and it also seemed to play pretty similar to the Saw Cleaver.
Now that I think about it, it's possible that a weapon more suited for me would make me enjoy combat more. Something with longer range than folded Saw Cleaver. I've seen videos of a sword that can turn into a whip, and someone had it earlier than where I am now, so maybe I'll look for that weapon next.

I actually didn't like Nioh's level design in many levels. I did particularly love the layout and design of the first stage though, that was in the Beta. The village.

Why do you like Bloodborne's loot system better? All I seem to find in Bloodborne are Blood Vials, Echoes and silver bullets.
While in Nioh you could find way too much loot, and you had to sort through a lot of junk because of that. I did still like that rare weapon and gear could drop from enemies and bosses. Made it feel a bit exciting at times when you beat a boss, seeing all the colorful names on the ground and hoping it's something better than what you have.

I wouldn't mind a story that slowly unfolds and you need to dig to find out about it. I just want a bit more of a foundation to keep me motivated in doing so. If the pacing of this doesn't change then 6 hours later I may still feel the same.

For this reason, bolded in your post, but loot is the wrong word, weapon stat progression and weapon unlocks would be better suited and weapons in general as well as variety and how they effect combat in certain areas and bosses in the game. In Nioh you stick to one of the 4 weapon types, easily the games greatest weakness next to the level design, not to say focusing on stance doesn't make up for that. 

 

Anyway, you are far from opening the whole brunt of BB and it's systems yet. Like rescuing the blacksmiths daughter in Nioh things open up a lot more a while more into the game.



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

Hiku said:

- I don't like that if you use all your Blood Vials and die, you start off with 0 (unless you have some saved up in the chest). This happened while I fought the first boss, and instead of running back to the boss to learn its patterns and 'git gud', I instead had to farm up more Blood Vials, which ruins the flow. I honestly don't see the point of this.

Don't be afraid to really stockpile on Blood Vials. I had about 400 in my storage at one point, and I still needed them all. It may seem like a waste but you can use the blood echoes you get while farming for Blood Vials to purchase more Blood Vials.



jigokutamago said:
Hiku said:

- I don't like that if you use all your Blood Vials and die, you start off with 0 (unless you have some saved up in the chest). This happened while I fought the first boss, and instead of running back to the boss to learn its patterns and 'git gud', I instead had to farm up more Blood Vials, which ruins the flow. I honestly don't see the point of this.

Don't be afraid to really stockpile on Blood Vials. I had about 400 in my storage at one point, and I still needed them all. It may seem like a waste but you can use the blood echoes you get while farming for Blood Vials to purchase more Blood Vials.

Exactly, this fucker Bloodborne's Hardest Boss (Watchdog) Nasty Fail - YouTube had me use well over a thousand vials alone. Most crazy hard boss in gaming, every thing needs to be a perfect dance between you and the boss.



 

Everything in the above reply is my opinion, from my own perspective and not representative of reality outside of my own head!

-Android user, please be gentle with critique on my spelling.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
I played BB and stopped in the middle, 2 years later i finished it and i am glad i did , its fantastic.

Jesus, are you me from the future? I did the exact same thing, I started, stopped somewhere near the middle then came back in 2017 and platinum'd the game cause I fell in love with it.

OT: First of all, if you're relatively familiar with Souls games, I'm not sure why you would go into it wanting to be relaxed. The whole point is that combat is unforgiving, your progress (in terms of blood echoes) can be lost and that danger is around every corner. BB specifically with its horror aesthetic is even more unnerving, imo. Case and point, Souls games are not meant to be laid  back or relaxing experiences, unless you familiarize yourself with a particular area to the point that you know what to expect.

The combat is simple and its an emphasizes on timing and patience, there aren't any flashy moves to be had but you can use different combination of attacks based on your primary weapon form and secondary. Moving the analog stick while attack can also perform different moves, from slashes to jabs to pound, etc. There's also some slight magical item that can be used along with your guns and there are a large and varied variety of weapons as you go along. Although, my extendo axe was my primary go-to weapon when the shit hit the fan.

Bosses are never cheap (in my experience) and require good timing and prediction on your part. The cleric beast did have some terrible camera issues but it was due to the location. Honestly, you didn't explain your issue with those two bosses so I'm not sure why you didn't enjoy the fights. As for the blood vials and farming, I got used to it and figured it was worthy punishment for failing at bosses/locations repeatedly. You can look up certain areas (like near the cleric beast bridge, Wolves near the dark house and two golem/trolls next to the elevator) 

The story is subtle and very much hidden but it is extremely fascinating to me specially towards the middle of the game when things are revealed to you (even though it's abstract as fuck as makes no sense) I don't want to spoil if you haven't seen it already but it gets far more unnerving, insidious and hopeless as you play the game. The atmosphere of the game is top notch and you can feel genuine dread as you explore new areas, I always enjoyed that feeling of dread. There's something beautiful in the madness of the universe bloodborne is in. It's like the focus is on the atrocities and hopelessness you find along your journey.

Stick with out, try put new weapon, look up a few quick videos on the lore of certain bosses, npcs, etc. It sounds like homework assignment to understand the lore but it's well worth it.



"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian