Quantcast
IGN: God of War is a masterpiece and one of the most impressive games ever

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: God of War is a masterpiece and one of the most impressive games ever

DonFerrari said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

"If I wanted an informed opinion about something I like, I would rather listen to someone that have a taste for that."

That's exactly right. And if I wanted an informed opinion about something I don't like, I would want an outlet for that as well. I'm not arguing to replace positive reviews with negative reviews. I'm arguing to allow them to sit side-by-side, and let the consumer decide which is most appropriate.

Don't confuse an outlier score with "hating." If you take the time to read the review (and not just freak out about the number on Metacritic) you might be surprised. There are cogent, artful 3/10 reviews and amateurish, incoherent 10/10 reviews. 

If I don't like a genre or a game why would I look after reviews to cement that view when I can use my time in a much better way playing what I like?

If you don't like the genre, hate the type of game, then your score is born from hating it. Just like the gal that reviewed GT5 and her main reason for a 4/10 was "what is the point of running in circles? Despise being pretty this game is really boring".

But surely enough if you are looking at exclusives you may also ignore the magazines that are attached to the brand to also avoid overly positive reviews... but in a case like HZD a 6/10 is a troll even if you go there and justify "it is cogent and artful". There were justifications on the 6/10 with "this perfect part here Witcher was doing before, this other great part over here GTA have done, this amazing section Assassins Creed done", so the game was reviewed as almost flaweless, but got a 6/10 because aspects of it were done in other games, that doesn't seem like value added at all.

Try to read what you're writing. You say that if someone hates a type of game, then his score is born from hating it. Well, then if someone loves a type of game, then his score is born from loving it. How is that any more objective or legitimate? It's not. It just means a higher score. 

This isn't about journalistic integrity or due process. It's about marginalizing negative reviews so that your favorite games will secure high scores. You're part of the problem, I'm afraid.



Around the Network
BerriJammi said:
I might have to give this series another chance.

I enjoyed GoW well enough to finish it, I skipped 2 and returned the series with the third game. That game I found to be completely unengaging with terrible, boring characters and an even more uninteresting story. I put that game down deciding I was done with that series. The fact that this seems to be a reboot for the brand and seeks to deliver a longer and deeper story is the biggest attraction for me.

I was the same way. Stopped playing 2 really early, stopped 3 about 2/3 of the way through.

But this new GoW has changed virtually everything that I didn’t like about the other games, and all signs point to it being awesome. I’ve had it preordered since the previews came out and could do nothing but praise it. 



Veknoid_Outcast said:
DonFerrari said:

If I don't like a genre or a game why would I look after reviews to cement that view when I can use my time in a much better way playing what I like?

If you don't like the genre, hate the type of game, then your score is born from hating it. Just like the gal that reviewed GT5 and her main reason for a 4/10 was "what is the point of running in circles? Despise being pretty this game is really boring".

But surely enough if you are looking at exclusives you may also ignore the magazines that are attached to the brand to also avoid overly positive reviews... but in a case like HZD a 6/10 is a troll even if you go there and justify "it is cogent and artful". There were justifications on the 6/10 with "this perfect part here Witcher was doing before, this other great part over here GTA have done, this amazing section Assassins Creed done", so the game was reviewed as almost flaweless, but got a 6/10 because aspects of it were done in other games, that doesn't seem like value added at all.

Try to read what you're writing. You say that if someone hates a type of game, then his score is born from hating it. Well, then if someone loves a type of game, then his score is born from loving it. How is that any more objective or legitimate? It's not. It just means a higher score. 

This isn't about journalistic integrity or due process. It's about marginalizing negative reviews so that your favorite games will secure high scores. You're part of the problem, I'm afraid.

People that play the genre are the ones that like the genre, so reviews of people that also like the genre will be more aligned with their needs and objectives they seek on the game and review.

If a game is hovering around low 80's you can certainly discuss the validity of the 100's gave as possible from loving the game and lacking objective view as well.

It isn't a matter of securing high scores, as I said, if someone likes the genre and gives bad score to a game it is much more plausible that he analysed what the genre is about and gave a score based on that (even if he is a lot lower or higher than the average) than someone that despise a genre and do the review to reinforce his own notions about it and take points just for the heck of it. The person who doesn't like the genre, quite possibly also don't understand it enough or know enough about what is valued on it.

I'm pretty sure if I made a thread grading BotW with a 40 because the graphics are very outdated, the story isn't memorable and any other "justification" it would be considered hating on it and not acceptable. You were a Moderator from what I remember, and moderation team on this site were always very strict on criticism being only allowed within userbase while positive praise could be given by anyone.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

countdown time guys...already preloaded and ready!



Pinkie_pie said:

Mario odyssey and Zelda botw are better. Both got 97 on metacritic

 

Warned ~ CGI

Scores don't matter in the end. Sure they got 97's but God of War is at 95 - what's two points? And also, 96 might be nearby. I already also got warned by CGI lmao for something I wrote in another thread but I will just say this...the winning formula is reviews + SALES!!!! God of War could break 10 million copies in under a year. Let's wait and see! 

GTA and TLOU both games with high score + sales of over 10 million. So I could say that GTAV is better than Mario and Zelda put together and then some lol.



Around the Network
tripenfall said:
I think we will find this is a very.....VERY good game and a reminder why PS4 is smoking the XBone.
I have to say the visuals are incredible but maybe the combat looks a bit simple?
Anyway I'm looking forward to the game....

The previous games had simple combat. If anything, the combat is finally NOT simple lol. That's my take on it anyway.

 

Note: Can't believe this game actually comes out on a FRIDAY!!! Dammit, still debating whether or not to buy it now or a bit later. Still haven't finished Horizon but I feel like GOW is something that'll be easier to finish as Horizon just feels "overwhelming" at times. I love single player games with a focused, linear objective. And it seems like GOW's team did a marvellous job in designing the world giving it that sense of openness while remaining linear.

Last edited by StreaK - on 19 April 2018

StreaK said:
tripenfall said:
I think we will find this is a very.....VERY good game and a reminder why PS4 is smoking the XBone.
I have to say the visuals are incredible but maybe the combat looks a bit simple?
Anyway I'm looking forward to the game....

The previous games had simple combat. If anything, the combat is finally NOT simple lol. That's my take on it anyway.

 

Note: Can't believe this game actually comes out on a FRIDAY!!! Dammit, still debating whether or not to buy it now or a bit later. Still haven't finished Horizon but I feel like GOW is something that'll be easier to finish as Horizon just feels "overwhelming" at times. I love single player games with a focused, linear objective. And it seems like GOW's team did a marvellous job in designing the world giving it that sense of openness while remaining linear.

Why? It's the most sensible day to release games on. Minimises the chances of people skiving off work/school to play games if they know they're about to have a full weekend to play it anyway.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

BerriJammi said:
I might have to give this series another chance.

I enjoyed GoW well enough to finish it, I skipped 2 and returned the series with the third game. That game I found to be completely unengaging with terrible, boring characters and an even more uninteresting story. I put that game down deciding I was done with that series. The fact that this seems to be a reboot for the brand and seeks to deliver a longer and deeper story is the biggest attraction for me.

I actually never played God of War. Not a hack and slash player for the most part. And I went mostly of gameplay videos to make that decision. 

Based on gameplay videos I think this might be a game for me. So I am getting it. 

It will be my 1st GoW but I am not too worried about not getting the story or something based on what I have read the previous games were not too deep in that area so probably not missing much.



psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Hopefully



tokilamockingbrd said:
BerriJammi said:
I might have to give this series another chance.

I enjoyed GoW well enough to finish it, I skipped 2 and returned the series with the third game. That game I found to be completely unengaging with terrible, boring characters and an even more uninteresting story. I put that game down deciding I was done with that series. The fact that this seems to be a reboot for the brand and seeks to deliver a longer and deeper story is the biggest attraction for me.

I actually never played God of War. Not a hack and slash player for the most part. And I went mostly of gameplay videos to make that decision. 

Based on gameplay videos I think this might be a game for me. So I am getting it. 

It will be my 1st GoW but I am not too worried about not getting the story or something based on what I have read the previous games were not too deep in that area so probably not missing much.

The GoW franchise actually has a surprisingly good story that has quite a bit to it. The reason the past games don't get much credit for their story is because of their over the top cartoon-ish characterizations. Especially of Kratos.