Quantcast
>90 METACRITIC: The Nintendo Switch has more Games than PS4 and XB1 together (First Year)

Forums - Gaming Discussion - >90 METACRITIC: The Nintendo Switch has more Games than PS4 and XB1 together (First Year)

Areaz32 said:
Azuren said:
Looking at all these lists makes me realize that Switch simply had the advantage of dropping into 8th Gen when it was in full steam.

I tried to explain this with my other post in this thread.

In the OP we just see a sign of what jumping to new technology brings. The Switch is kind of ancient in terms of software tech. And i am sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is the reality. And i am not trying to downplay anything nintendo has done either, but most of what they did in botw for instance you can trace back to half life 2 days where it was 'new' tech. 

I think this brings a much more interesting discussion about what is more important though. The tech or the games?

In my opinion i think tech has an immeasurable importance and i am forever grateful to Sony for pushing the tech as far as it can go on their commercial platform.

The downplaying in this thread is epic but "ancient software like BoTW didn't do anything that HL2 already did 20 years ago" takes first prize.



Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Areaz32 said:

I tried to explain this with my other post in this thread.

In the OP we just see a sign of what jumping to new technology brings. The Switch is kind of ancient in terms of software tech. And i am sorry if that sounds harsh, but it is the reality. And i am not trying to downplay anything nintendo has done either, but most of what they did in botw for instance you can trace back to half life 2 days where it was 'new' tech. 

I think this brings a much more interesting discussion about what is more important though. The tech or the games?

In my opinion i think tech has an immeasurable importance and i am forever grateful to Sony for pushing the tech as far as it can go on their commercial platform.

The downplaying in this thread is epic but "ancient software like BoTW didn't do anything that HL2 already did 20 years ago" takes first prize.

My man i was merely talking about the tech. I am not talking about game design or anything like that.



pokoko said:
The way people bow and scrape at the altar of metacritic will never not be hilarious to me.

Well, bonuses are still paid with Metacritic so even publishers put weight into them.



VGPolyglot said:
pokoko said:
The way people bow and scrape at the altar of metacritic will never not be hilarious to me.

Well, bonuses are still paid with Metacritic so even publishers put weight into them.

We're not publishers and I doubt that was the perspective the OP was intending to portray.

What we end up with, then, is a "list wars" entry that includes years old ports like Fez and Rayman Legends but leaves out games like Dragon Age, Far Cry, Final Fantasy XIV, and Mario + Rabbids.  Ask the average video game fan which is more relevant and see what they say.  Threads like this are just meta-score masterbation exercises with very little real meaning.  That's why it makes me chuckle when someone touts an arbitrary "90" from a handful of strangers while disregarding an "89".  That's just silly and makes people look out of touch with reality.



pokoko said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, bonuses are still paid with Metacritic so even publishers put weight into them.

We're not publishers and I doubt that was the perspective the OP was intending to portray.

What we end up with, then, is a "list wars" entry that includes years old ports like Fez and Rayman Legends but leaves out games like Dragon Age, Far Cry, Final Fantasy XIV, and Mario + Rabbids.  Ask the average video game fan which is more relevant and see what they say.  Threads like this are just meta-score masterbation exercises with very little real meaning.  That's why it makes me chuckle when someone touts an arbitrary "90" from a handful of strangers while disregarding an "89".  That's just silly and makes people look out of touch with reality.

Well, it may be an arbitrary cut-off and discussion, but it's still interesting to compare in the least. It may not have any practical use but it does have a use for those who just enjoy making lists and comparing things.



Around the Network
pokoko said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, bonuses are still paid with Metacritic so even publishers put weight into them.

We're not publishers and I doubt that was the perspective the OP was intending to portray.

What we end up with, then, is a "list wars" entry that includes years old ports like Fez and Rayman Legends but leaves out games like Dragon Age, Far Cry, Final Fantasy XIV, and Mario + Rabbids.  Ask the average video game fan which is more relevant and see what they say.  Threads like this are just meta-score masterbation exercises with very little real meaning.  That's why it makes me chuckle when someone touts an arbitrary "90" from a handful of strangers while disregarding an "89".  That's just silly and makes people look out of touch with reality.

Dragon Age was quickly forgotten after it released. You almost never hear anyone talking about that game anymore, how it ever managed to win GOTY is beyond me lol. FF XIV is pretty much dead already as well. 



"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
pokoko said:

We're not publishers and I doubt that was the perspective the OP was intending to portray.

What we end up with, then, is a "list wars" entry that includes years old ports like Fez and Rayman Legends but leaves out games like Dragon Age, Far Cry, Final Fantasy XIV, and Mario + Rabbids.  Ask the average video game fan which is more relevant and see what they say.  Threads like this are just meta-score masterbation exercises with very little real meaning.  That's why it makes me chuckle when someone touts an arbitrary "90" from a handful of strangers while disregarding an "89".  That's just silly and makes people look out of touch with reality.

Dragon Age was quickly forgotten after it released. You almost never hear anyone talking about that game anymore, how it ever managed to win GOTY is beyond me lol. FF XIV is pretty much dead already as well. 

Just saying things you want to be true doesn't make it so.  Don't do that, it's childish.  



The Switch also had 17 <50 metascore games in its first year- which is also about double the other two combined.

Last edited by Zombie9ers - on 18 February 2018

pikashoe said:
mundus6 said:
Switch first year was the best first year of any video game console ever. PS4 and Xbox one where the least impressive console launches ever imo. First game on any of the platforms that i even wanted to play was Bloodborne 15 months or so after the release of the PS4.

I'm not sure if I'd say best ever, but it's definitely one of the strongest in a couple of generations. The GameCube and dreamcast had some great titles in there launch years.

Gamecube had a great first year, but ironically its the only Nintendo home console ever (except for Wii U) that didn't have killer app at launch. Dreamcast first year was really good i agree, but i still think Switch > all. Great games through out the whole year a lot of them where only on Switch.



And didn't Resogun had a 90+ score on the first year??

Also this kind of selective picking is kinda pointless. Even more when several of the titles on Switch "first year" are several year old ports from other systems.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994