"Famitsu report that the domestic Japanese videogame market is up 72.9% in 2017 from 2016 for hardware and 3.8% in software thanks to the success of the Nintendo Switch which was the best selling dedicated game system for the year with 3,407,158 units sold."
That's very impressive for a market going supposedly mobile only (PS4 narrowly beat the 3DS too).
Also, the top 10 highest selling retail games are all on Nintendo platforms:
- Pokémon Ultra Sun Moon (3DS) 2,003,607
- Splatoon 2 (Switch) 1,752,096
- Dragon Quest XI: Sugisarishi Toki o Motomete (3DS) 1,744,603
- Monster Hunter XX (3DS) 1,684,991
- Dragon Quest XI: Sugisarishi Toki o Motomete (PS4) 1,336,180
- Super Mario Odyssey (Switch) 1,324,280
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch) 1,103,744
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) 688,044
- Pokémon Sun Moon (3DS) 576,506
- Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (3DS) 423,073