Quantcast
Locked: Sony's diversity with its exclusive games is becoming uhhh non-diverse as before

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's diversity with its exclusive games is becoming uhhh non-diverse as before

Is Sony becoming a little too non-diverse?

Absolutely YASSSS 4 12.50%
 
Nintendo is even more div... 2 6.25%
 
Maybe 1 3.13%
 
A little 0 0.00%
 
Sony is the king of diver... 12 37.50%
 
Not really 13 40.63%
 
Total:32
kurasakiichimaruALT said:

That's not a lot of diversity.

Ni no kuni 2 isn't even exclusive. 3rd Person action adventure isn't even diverse anymore which are what you mentioned.

I give you Dreams.

Shadow of the Colossus? a Remake? Oh please that's not diverse enough.

 I don't think you understand what diversity means. A mixture of original IP, sequels, remakes, popular and niche genres, bigger and smaller budgets, first and third party, etc is plenty diverse. Are you sure you don't mean unique? Hard to do that in an increasingly saturated medium (let alone with any confidence in success), but Dreams is about as unique as it gets and they're doing their damnedest to embrace VR.

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Let me rephrase it to for everyone. I want more games(not exclusively JRPGs) than what Sony currently offers. Simpler, smaller and double Abudget. Something to keep people entertained while you wait for the bigger games.

They make or commission plenty of those, too. Concrete Genie, Inpatient, Firewall, Blood & Truth, more I'm probably forgetting.

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

If Sony could waste hundreds of millions  of dollars on a flop like Blade Runner the film... I am confused why they can't do the same it for Playstation when it's their most profitable business.

I'm confused. Do you want niche/risky games with smaller budgets (above) or bigger budgets (Detroit, Dreams)?

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Playstation used to be known as a place for niche games and now Nintendo Switch is becoming that console at the pace they are going with.

Support your argument. How many niche games did Nin release last year compared to Sony? How about this year's lineup?

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Sony used to provide something different that third party developers don't and I don't see that anymore.

Wth do you call Dreams?

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

PS4 lacks identity.

Its identity is the home console with something for almost everyone. This is supported by the lower individual game sales but higher attach rates and overall hardware and software sales.

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Steam provides something that Sony don't.

Each big platform provides something the others don't.

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Switch will be more successful and compelling than PS4 as time goes by.

Starting to think I'm being taken for a ride...

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Nintendo invented an amazing console and Sony should be threatened by it if they keep on sticking with their conservative approach on software development.

Why should Sony feel threatened when they just had their best year yet doing everything you just criticized while the Switch hardly competes in the same market?



Around the Network
Bandorr said:
kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Just because you do not agree with my opinion doesn't mean I'm hacked. People changed as I changed. Just like generations in gaming. Y'know. :)

Now do you agree or disagree that Sony is becoming less diverse with their exclusive output than before in previous generation. That is the question.

You aren't arguing "Sony has no diversity".

You are arguing "Where is my 20+ year old first party Sony exclusives that aren't allowed on even the PC".

Or simply "where are my first party JRPGs" that again.. can't be on the PC.

Which gets really awkward when you bring up the switch for no reason. Which hasn't even gotten the third party exclusives that Sony is/has gotten.

All while ignoring games like Horizon Zero Dawn. A very good first party RPG that is only one PS4.

There was a time when Playstation can do everything. :p

I am arguing that they are less diverse. Less aggressive to push for a difference in the console. PS4 is a 5 year old console and I have been more interested with Switch in ten months than the whole ltd of PS4 cause they are offering something unique from other platforms. That sucks when you think of how long the development cycles of their exclusives. You need to depend on what third party devs offer and right now... PS4 is not offering a unique experience from the likes of Switch and Xbox or PC. That sucks cause my wallet can only be there as my interest wanes.



If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

AlfredoTurkey said:

You want to talk about "diversity" in games? I'm tired of women being artificially shoehorned into AAA ( Hi Horizon!) titles so as to appease the SJW mob. It's gotten so bad that it's literally ruined them for me. The same goes for movies and TV. At some point, it stops being about diversity and starts being reverse bigotry. At the very least, it's fucking stupid.

how is the gender of a main character (in your example, horizon) shoehorning to appease sjw mobs, can you point to a single instance where anyone ever approached the developers demanding they make a female lead? and at the same time, why would horizons main char being female be shoehorning, but characters like Lara croft, faith, 2b etc, are not?

perhaps the problem is you



AlfredoTurkey said:

You want to talk about "diversity" in games? I'm tired of women being artificially shoehorned into AAA ( Hi Horizon!) titles so as to appease the SJW mob. It's gotten so bad that it's literally ruined them for me. The same goes for movies and TV. At some point, it stops being about diversity and starts being reverse bigotry. At the very least, it's fucking stupid.

Why did you bring that type of 'diversity' into this conversation? This is referring purely to the variety of breadth of games available on a particular platform. Social opinions don't really pertain to the amount of unique experiences on can experience with their game console. 



 

 

kurasakiichimaruALT said:
Bandorr said:

You aren't arguing "Sony has no diversity".

You are arguing "Where is my 20+ year old first party Sony exclusives that aren't allowed on even the PC".

Or simply "where are my first party JRPGs" that again.. can't be on the PC.

Which gets really awkward when you bring up the switch for no reason. Which hasn't even gotten the third party exclusives that Sony is/has gotten.

All while ignoring games like Horizon Zero Dawn. A very good first party RPG that is only one PS4.

There was a time when Playstation can do everything. :p

I am arguing that they are less diverse. Less aggressive to push for a difference in the console. PS4 is a 5 year old console and I have been more interested with Switch in ten months than the whole ltd of PS4 cause they are offering something unique from other platforms. That sucks when you think of how long the development cycles of their exclusives. You need to depend on what third party devs offer and right now... PS4 is not offering a unique experience from the likes of Switch and Xbox or PC. That sucks cause my wallet can only be there as my interest wanes.

And now you've changed arguments again. A) the ps4 isn't a 5 year console. It is far closer to 4 years.

B) and now your whole argument is about your interest in switch. Which has NOTHING to do with the diversity of the ps4.

You basically just like the switch more and it has nothing to do with the ps4, or their games.

Serious, or joking -I am done responding though. You can't even decide what argument you want, little alone come up with the points to back it up.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:
kurasakiichimaruALT said:

That's not a lot of diversity.

Ni no kuni 2 isn't even exclusive. 3rd Person action adventure isn't even diverse anymore which are what you mentioned.

I give you Dreams.

Shadow of the Colossus? a Remake? Oh please that's not diverse enough.

 I don't think you understand what diversity means. A mixture of original IP, sequels, remakes, popular and niche genres, bigger and smaller budgets, first and third party, etc is plenty diverse. Are you sure you don't mean unique? Hard to do that in an increasingly saturated medium (let alone with any confidence in success), but Dreams is about as unique as it gets and they're doing their damnedest to embrace VR.

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Let me rephrase it to for everyone. I want more games(not exclusively JRPGs) than what Sony currently offers. Simpler, smaller and double Abudget. Something to keep people entertained while you wait for the bigger games.

They make or commission plenty of those, too. Concrete Genie, Inpatient, Firewall, Blood & Truth, more I'm probably forgetting.

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

If Sony could waste hundreds of millions  of dollars on a flop like Blade Runner the film... I am confused why they can't do the same it for Playstation when it's their most profitable business.

I'm confused. Do you want niche/risky games with smaller budgets (above) or bigger budgets (Detroit, Dreams)?

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Playstation used to be known as a place for niche games and now Nintendo Switch is becoming that console at the pace they are going with.

Support your argument. How many niche games did Nin release last year compared to Sony? How about this year's lineup?

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Sony used to provide something different that third party developers don't and I don't see that anymore.

Wth do you call Dreams?

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

PS4 lacks identity.

Its identity is the home console with something for almost everyone. This is supported by the lower individual game sales but higher attach rates and overall hardware and software sales.

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Steam provides something that Sony don't.

Each big platform provides something the others don't.

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Switch will be more successful and compelling than PS4 as time goes by.

Starting to think I'm being taken for a ride...

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Nintendo invented an amazing console and Sony should be threatened by it if they keep on sticking with their conservative approach on software development.

Why should Sony feel threatened when they just had their best year yet doing everything you just criticized while the Switch hardly competes in the same market?

A mixture of games with long developments? PS4 may have a diverse library but the wait is too long.

 

Dreams When was it announced? Wild? Detroit? It took years and it's still not even released and I'm not here for that. Can't call it diverse when it's not even out yet. :p

 

Why should Sony feel complacent? Do you actually believe Nintendo is not trying to eat Sony's lunch with the switch? haha



If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Eh, it's more of Sony sticking with what they're comfortable with which is narrative-driven games while branching out a bit like what Media Molecule is doing with Dreams and Pixel Opus with Concrete Genie. I do want Sony to make an JRPG and it doesn't necessarily have to be AAA. It can be a smaller budget game with a good story and good characters. But it really depends on what Japan Studios is doing now.



kurasakiichimaruALT said:

A mixture of games with long developments? PS4 may have a diverse library but the wait is too long.

Dreams When was it announced? Wild? Detroit? It took years and it's still not even released and I'm not here for that. Can't call it diverse when it's not even out yet. :p

Lol, talk about reaching...

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

Why should Sony feel complacent? Do you actually believe Nintendo is not trying to eat Sony's lunch with the switch? haha

Do you actually believe they are when they're both retreating to their home turfs (Sony more home focused, Nin more mobile) and focusing on different audiences? They both just had excellent years without stepping on each others toes.



Aura7541 said:
Eh, it's more of Sony sticking with what they're comfortable with which is narrative-driven games while branching out a bit like what Media Molecule is doing with Dreams and Pixel Opus with Concrete Genie. I do want Sony to make an JRPG and it doesn't necessarily have to be AAA. It can be a smaller budget game with a good story and good characters. But it really depends on what Japan Studios is doing now.

This is what I'm saying. I do care about graphics but not that much.Sony should try becoming more open. AAA gaming nearly destroyed the industry by wasting money on blockbuster games that failed to sell. I'm noy saying I don't need another Uncharted or TLoU in my life but I love what Santa Monica is doing. Other First Party Devs and even Naughty Dog should learn from them. They may have been late with GoW but they've done a fantastic job supporting the development in some of their niche games.

I  hope the success of Nintendo Switch spark a little something on Sony's development team. That competitive fire I remember back when PS3 is just a console for the outcast of society. haha

Who doesn't want a little more diversity? People who don't love that don't love themselves. :)



If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

kurasakiichimaruALT said:
Ljink96 said:

Well to be fair, Switch is only 10 months old. Most 1st years of consoles don't even get exclusives unless they're ports(Remember 1st year PS4 and Xbone Games?)... I think things will change soon here. But I digress,

PS4 is more diverse overall, that's been its moniker since the PS1. I think the OP meant to criticize Sony's 1st party (which still really isn't as valid but understandable) for their negligence towards JPRGs. But this isn't the 90's anymore. JRPGS aren't the powerhouse they used to be. But even with that being said PS4 is still getting/has a TON of them. Persona 5, Nier, Tales, Ni No Kuni, Dragon Quest XI, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy VII...I kind of fail to see the argument here. It's getting more JRPG support that the Switch (as of now). 

That's what I'm saying.(First party exclusives)

Playstation used to be known as a place for niche games and now Nintendo Switch is becoming that console at the pace they are going with. Sony used to provide something different that third party developers don't and I don't see that anymore.

If Sony goes on with that kind of business... I'm going to be tempted to buy a switch. Sony does not understand the situation they are in. PS4 lacks identity. PS3 atleast got something going on with it. Free online+Stylized Game+New IPs but PS4? It's currently defined by third party games and I don't like that. I might  just buy a PC or Switch. Steam provides something that Sony don't. Nintendo is now more open to devs and while Switch will be more successful and compelling than PS4 as time goes by. Anyone should admit it. Nintendo invented an amazing console and Sony should be threatened by it if they keep on sticking with their conservative approach on software development. Switch has the identity that PS4 doesn't have. You can personally tell if it's a switch game or not. PS4? You cab hardly tell because you will find that experience in another platform like PC, Xbox and switch in the future.

Making no sense bro, I agree Sony's thing was that they make games that other 3rd parties aren't making a lot of to round out the library of the console. And they're doing that right now better than ever.

Do you know what type of games aren't being made a lot of these days by 3rd parties? AAA budget single player games with an emphasis on the story. Everyone's going after the GAAS multiplayer model, so Sony's making the games other publishers won't fund. 

Ofcourse they still also have smaller quirky titles like Gravity Rush, Hotshots golf, Concrete Genie, etc. And not to mention a game like Dreams, which no other publisher would even entertain the the thought of funding, but Sony has let their studio spend 6 years making this game that the devs haven't really been able to put into words yet. 

Sony is the best publisher in the industry right now by a LONG shot. We're at a point where publishers have no faith in creating anything new.

Sony is the only one willing to put money into new IPs anymore. just take a look at the new IPs funded by each publisher this generation. Sony alone has funded more new IPs than all major publishers like Nintendo, MS, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda, WB games, etc. COMBINED. Yes all of these publishers put together have funded less new IPs than Sony alone.