Quantcast
Locked: CGI's HYPE Series: Graphics Showdown 2018

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CGI's HYPE Series: Graphics Showdown 2018

The Best Looking Game Of 2018

01. God Of War 15 45.45%
 
02. Spider-Man 3 9.09%
 
03. Detroit: Become Human 6 18.18%
 
04. Red Dead Redemption 2 6 18.18%
 
05. Battlefield V 3 9.09%
 
Total:33
CGI-Quality said:

I'm listening to the feedback, guys. Part of the formula changes will start with early polling. I will select from the consensus. Each year, the best graphics are judged based on game previews, user feedback, and website feedback. Much of the time, the final game that wins is based on VGC user feedback.

A general, broad scale, contest will be a part of the first three quarters of the year (Jan-Sept). Once October hits, I will look for a top ten based on user feedback specifically from our site. The last five will be chosen from there. The biggest change will come in the form of categories. Similar to the Game Awards...

- Best Art Direction
- Best Technology
- Best Animations
- Best Character Models
- Overall Best Looking Game (where everyone will just vote based on the one standout game from the rest - i.e. Game of the Year)

Another idea that is up for consideration is to have a helper. Someone who can update the thread with analysis and pictures of some of the year's best games within the different categories.

Hopefully, that will make things go a little smoother. I'll still take ideas thrown out into consideration, though. So, let me know of any other ideas you think may work.

Might I suggest "Best Graphics Mod(s)" as an added category? I know some modders do some incredible work with things like texture/effects packs, reshade configs, and even complete overhauls with a package of mods (i.e. PredCaliber and his tutorials). I know it's a PC centric category, but I think it's something that is overlooked a lot. With enough mods something like Skyrim or GTA 5 can still look pretty great in 2018 and I think that's worth mentioning. 

Or maybe that would be best served as a completely different thread in a line of threads by you celebrating tech.



Around the Network
trasharmdsister12 said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'm listening to the feedback, guys. Part of the formula changes will start with early polling. I will select from the consensus. Each year, the best graphics are judged based on game previews, user feedback, and website feedback. Much of the time, the final game that wins is based on VGC user feedback.

A general, broad scale, contest will be a part of the first three quarters of the year (Jan-Sept). Once October hits, I will look for a top ten based on user feedback specifically from our site. The last five will be chosen from there. The biggest change will come in the form of categories. Similar to the Game Awards...

- Best Art Direction
- Best Technology
- Best Animations
- Best Character Models
- Overall Best Looking Game (where everyone will just vote based on the one standout game from the rest - i.e. Game of the Year)

Another idea that is up for consideration is to have a helper. Someone who can update the thread with analysis and pictures of some of the year's best games within the different categories.

Hopefully, that will make things go a little smoother. I'll still take ideas thrown out into consideration, though. So, let me know of any other ideas you think may work.

Might I suggest "Best Graphics Mod(s)" as an added category? I know some modders do some incredible work with things like texture/effects packs, reshade configs, and even complete overhauls with a package of mods (i.e. PredCaliber and his tutorials). I know it's a PC centric category, but I think it's something that is overlooked a lot. With enough mods something like Skyrim or GTA 5 can still look pretty great in 2018 and I think that's worth mentioning. 

Or maybe that would be best served as a completely different thread in a line of threads by you celebrating tech.

Hmmm... you're on to something, tads. Could serve as a subcategory. That, as a result of graphics mods, said game during said year could like....yeah. Definitely something I'll consider.



                                                                                                                                            

God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Spiderman and/or Detroit Become Human beats "Battlefield 5" and all other pc-games this Year ;) That is sure, I played all the nominees :)

Its not the topic-problem, if some PC-Only players dont have a game that matches the impressive graphics of the aforementioned games. Little hint: go to a friend and play the other games on ps4-console, then you can see for yourself. The PlayStation 4 is the Graphic-King, currently. And Character models + animations are also much better (God of War and Detroit Become Human) than Battlefield 5 ; ) The big world of Red Dead Redemption 2 is also more impressive.

ps. Dragon Quest Xi and Ni No Kuni 2 looks wonderful too, but no chance vs. GoW & Detroit in my opinion.

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 03 December 2018

Death Stranding, PS4-Release: November 8! The Last of Us 2, February 21 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvG-EpPoCCA


KazumaKiryu said:

God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, Spiderman and/or Detroit Become Human beats "Battlefield 5" and all other pc-games this Year ;) That is sure, I played all the nominees :)

Its not the topic-problem, if some PC-Only players dont have a game that matches the impressive graphics of the aforementioned games. Little hint: go to a friend and play the other games on ps4-console, then you can see for yourself. The PlayStation 4 is the Graphic-King, currently. And Character models + animations are also much better (God of War and Detroit Become Human) than Battlefield 5 ; ) The big world of Red Dead Redemption 2 is also more impressive.

ps. Dragon Quest Xi and Ni No Kuni 2 looks wonderful too, but no chance vs. GoW & Detroit in my opinion.

I think you're joking? But I'm going to provide my two cents on why I believe the candidates have ended up as such.

First of all, each of the games (as well as other games mentioned in this thread) do some things better than others. Games like Far Cry 5 and Kingdom Come: Deliverance look incredible on PC from an assets and effects point of view and the same goes for Forza Horizon 4 on PC/Xbox One X.

However,  I think there are a couple of specific areas where the final candidates shine above these other games. And I think there's a big tilt in the thread and the community here in terms of valuing these particular aspects - and I don't blame anyone for it. They do indeed provide a level of immersion that would break were they not there. Anyone want to take a guess at what I'm getting at?

It's animation. All of the titles that have made it to the "finals" have top notch animation quality, contextual animation diversity, and animation blending whereas games like Far Cry 5, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and Forza Horizon 4 don't. And it's not that the animation sucks, but context sensitive animations and the first person perspective (or cars in the case of FH4) don't lend themselves to the same level of opportunity for impressive animation as third person games. 

That's my theory anyways. I'm not taking anything away from any of the games that have made it this far or anyone's opinion on them. I've played all of them (still working on RDR2) and they're all fantastic in their own right. Just wanted to take a step back and look at why things ended up as they did.



11 days to go, folks!



                                                                                                                                            

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Will the new poll involve more than the usual console exclusive games as well as Sony based ones?.

I'd actually love to see a fair and well thought out poll for next year, and not one that pays to just one group's vote chamber.

To accuse CGI-Quality to be biased against PC is laughable.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
Chazore said:
Will the new poll involve more than the usual console exclusive games as well as Sony based ones?.

I'd actually love to see a fair and well thought out poll for next year, and not one that pays to just one group's vote chamber.

To accuse CGI-Quality to be biased against PC is laughable.

Eh, leave it alone.



                                                                                                                                            

CGI-Quality said:
DonFerrari said:

To accuse CGI-Quality to be biased against PC is laughable.

Eh, leave it alone.

Okie dorie...

And with the best mod, that will probably be a category dominated by PC unless MS or Sony decides to allow it on consoles (I don't think there is much point in going through the sanctioned mods that eventually becomes patches for console) and that is totally fine.

Since this hadn't had examples in the thread. Which would be the best mods of the year (and I think on this we can't limit the participation to the year the game launched but the year the mod launched) on your opinion, with perhaps some side by side.

Also would be cool to have another sub on the mod, which improved the game most.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

I want to thank everyone who participated in the poll thus far. There are a little under 48 hours left to vote.



                                                                                                                                            

For me it's between God Of War and RDR2.